Thread: 2016 FORC'n Duro!!!

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Default 2016 FORC'n Duro!!!

NOW WITH 30% LESS GRAVEL!!!

Can you do it? RIDE-TO and RIDE five FORC mtb parks in one day?!

Not a race, ride at your own pace, get to know your fellow FORCrs.

Saturday September 24th, 2016

Meet 7AM at Westbrook Park in Dewitt IA. Coffee & light grub via SAG wagon. Then ride down to Scott County park, ride on to lunch, then on to Sunderbruch, on to new Stephens Park, finish at Illiniwek in Hampton IL.

• 80+ total miles
    • 30+ miles of SINGLETRACK (one full loop at each park);
    • 50+ miles gravel/paved backroads/bike path commuting to parks.
    • SAG wagon support, water, snacks at MTB parks.
    • Lunch stop to be announced. Bring cash for lunch please.
    • Safe overnight vehicle parking available in Dewitt.
    • Beer potluck evening party at Illinewek following the ride. You may wish to have someone bring you a chair!

FREE! Must be a FORC member to participate!

Persons may ride only part of the course, but must coordinate their own exit pickup. The SAG wagon must be available for rider safety & support and cannot be used as a shuttle/taxi over an 80 mile course.

The 2015 Forc’n Duro saw over 40 start- with 11 completing the entire ride! Congratulations to last years Hard Core riders- Matt Collier, Len Guldenpfennig, Drew Hanson, Fred Johnson, Vonda Johnston, Brian Kingsbury, Michael Kinney, Ray Nees, Ryan Neipert, Ry Schultz and Chris True!

In YOUR Duro!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Thumbs down

Wut the, "Now with 30% less soul crushing Gravel!!!" ???

C'mon now . . . THE Duro ain't supposed to be no road bike shimmy.
    ?

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Less gravel but more singletrack; 1.5 miles more.

This is coming up fast. Anyone interested in doing a warmup ride this Sunday (9/18)? Thinking of meeting at Illiniwek @ 9am, riding a lap, heading to Stephens for a lap, then to Sunderbruch and finally back to Illiniwek. We can stop for lunch somewhere along the way before/after Sunder. Plan on riding for 5-6 hours and covering 50 miles. No sag support so plan to be self sufficient.

Warmup sounds like a great idea, I am planning on joining you.

People wishing to leave their cars at Westbrook Park overnight may do so. If you don't feel like going back out to get your vehicle until Sunday morning, DeWitt PD is aware that there may be cars left overnight for our event. Special thanks to Dave Deke and the DeWitt PD!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

2016 Duro Sticker.jpg

The 2016 Finisher Sticker is here!!

Who's gonna earn it this year?!!

Hey guys I'm New here!! Just got a membership so I can do this event!! Do I need to register ahead of time or anything? Can't wait to meet and ride with you all!!!!

Board Position
    Event Coordinator / Race Director

DURO is this Sat and Mother Nature seems Happy! Meet at Westbrook at 7am...Post ride gathering and beer potluck at the Shelter at Illiniwek Campground. (Working on post ride details).

Board Position

Post Duro gathering will be at Illiniwek Shelter. Riders should start rolling in @ 4:30/5pm. Come out and Cheer them on! Beer potluck! We'lll have brats & chips. A side dish would be Greatly Appreciated!!
    Last edited by MissMandy; 10-14-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Board Position

Default FORC'n DURO is done!!

26 riders started 16 finished the whole ride! Great effort by all!! Many thanks to all that came out and we saw a lot of new faces. We hope you enjoyed the ride!!!

Wow! what a day!!! KNOW THIS- When you see a 2016 FORC'n Duro FINISHER Sticker, know that you are in the company of a TRUE, HARDCORE, NEVER STOP TILL ITS FINISHED MTB'r.

26 people started the day at Westbrook Park. We held off the ride a bit due to darkness- the fog and clouds made it difficult to see but we got rolling about 7:45. The majority of the starters this year appeared to know what they were in for. A couple were starting hoping to make it to lunch, but most wanted the full pull and were prepared.

The story of the day- HEADWINDS!! Sweet Weeping Jesus- next time the wind is blowing hard as heck due North- Lets ride from DeWitt to Davenport.* Being a total Knobby- I don't deal with headwinds and I'll take the 90+ temps and soul crushing gravel of Duro #1 any time! * Leaving the break after riding Sunderbruch, I cramped up both legs and fell over- laying in the grass between K-down and K-up just trying to find a position where nothing was cramped. Thought that might be it for my day- I'm 100 yards from my wife in the SAG... Finally was able to get up, spun easy through cramps- nutritioned like crazy and was able to continue. Today, my legs and lower back and letting me know what they think of that decision.

A couple of the finishers rode hard straight through having a great finish. Most went with the more "social" aspect and joined us for lunch and sag stops. Several mechanicals caused some drop outs, and the wind- I just can't emphasize this enough but I may try by complaining about it until next month- seriously. (Shakes Head.)

How much did it slow us down? Many finishers had to use lights as Illiniwek was done after dark!!

This ranks in my top 2 hardest rides ever, and my #1 is a double century off road, and my #3 is Mag 7 w Blue Dot in 90+ temps- that should tell you something about the difficulty level experienced at the 2016 FORC'n Duro.

Special Mention to Zach Stahl- the only finisher on a fatty this year. This dood pushed hard all day- crazy strength!!

Thanks to Maloneys in Eldridge for lunch. We rolled in with 30 people at noon during a Hawkeye game- and they were able to handle us with great food in a timely fashion!

A big shout out to all of the FORC'n Trail Stewards and Dirt Crews- You guys and gals all know the effort put into our trail systems and you don't get enough credit for what you do- Sincerely thank you!

Miss Mandy, Poofy and Mama Joan for the Sag stops and helping with forms, signs up, and general coordination and thanks to Drew and Miss Mandy for the online presence.

And most especially and sincerely, Thank You to all of the participants. You made the 2016 FORC'n Duro a success!!!

2016 FORC'n Duro FINISHERS LIST!!
    Tsukasa Ogihara
    Rick Rohret
    Ryan Carnahan
    John Richard
    Joe Porter
    Drew Hanson
    KJ Abernathy
    Ray Nees
    Ryan Wilkins
    Lauren Wolfe
    Nicole Zipay
    Jason Sellers
    Marcus Anderson
    Robert Lamb
    Pete Scheidler
    Zach Stahl

Props to these riders for making a GREAT effort:
    Eric Nordstrom
    Lee Bower
    Karl Dimmer
    Nate Scott
    Mike McKeon
    Tyler Cowherd
    Kera Linn
    Rick Wern-called into work
    Rich Sullivan
    Larry Sullivan
    Mandy Porter

Admiration for all the folks that knew what they were getting into and attempted the hard-core ForcN Duro. Huge Congrats to all the fortitude finishers! Great job all!!!
    See an event theme forming -- sun, heat, humidity last year, high wind this year. Interested to see what next year beholds . . . and the Rare sticker earning.
    ?

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Thanks SAG crew for the support along the ride! Rolling up to a buffet at the shelter (in the dark) was a welcome site.

Default 2017 'n Duro

I know it's really early, but I'm trying to plan out a few events for the next several months. Will the FORC'n Duro be spring or fall this year? Any idea on the date?

Thanks.

Board Position

We have not planned a date yet, but, will post as soon as we figure it out. Thanks for asking!