Thread: Wearable Activity Trackers: Any advice?

Default Wearable Activity Trackers: Any advice?

I'd like to get a watch that would be good for heart rate monitoring and GPS. I'm not quite sure where to start. I think I like the Garmin, but I'm curious to hear opinions. Fit bit, Garmin, Apple Watch...Im up for anything. I don't want to limit it on price. I'd prefer to get the watch that seems most reliable and accurate. Important to me is tracking activity. I'd like for it to sync with Map my Ride or Strava or both. Waterproof would be nice. Cell connection instead of Bluetooth would be nice, too, but I'm not sure if any offer that. Has anyone tried a few and had success with a particular brand & style? Thanks!!
    Dirt Don't Hurt

I have had a Fitbit Surge since it came out and used it for fitness tracking, biking, HR, Strava etc. I am on my second one as I blew out the band on mine. Sync and upload w/ bluetooth to the Fitbit app and Strava easily and other apps that you can link to it as well. Battery life is pretty good 5 days regular use without GPS/HR on and at least a day with all of that on. You can get text msgs/music control off phone as well but turned that feature off. I would say HR was fairly accurate, GPS always got strong signal but would drop out deep in woods/cloudy, I have a Garmin Edge 200 and it is more consistent. I would say overall pretty durable I wore everyday and had a screen protector on it and no scratches, buttons work, still great battery life BUT the wrist band is not replaceable so if it breaks and it is not under 1yr warranty any more you cannot just get a band you gotta get a whole new unit... kinda dumb. I did look at the Fitbit Blaze but it doesn't have dedicated GPS but something like connected GPS where you gotta have your phone nearby as it uses that and I don't always want my phone when I am running/race etc... They also have these really sick new Garmin Vivo HR watches that just came out so I would look into those as well, I wish those had been out when I replaced my Surge.

I appreciate the time you took to share. I heard from a couple others offline and it sounds like the Garmin Vivo HR is the way to go. Once I get one and try it out, I'll try to share my thoughts on it here.
    Dirt Don't Hurt