Thread: Levis Bound Memorial Day Weekend

Default Levis Bound Memorial Day Weekend

Our Memorial Day weekend trip to Levis Trow Mounds is just around the corner. Here are some details.

A few leaving Friday 5/27, others Saturday 5/28. About 4.5/5 hour drive North & East out of Black River Falls. Camping at trail head, no reservations. No showers at Levis trailhead but there is a camp ground in Hatfield to shower (5 min away); bring quarters to feed the shower! Camping $13/night, trail passes $5/day or $25/season. Bring cash for camping and trail passes, envelop method, on your honor. Trails dry out quickly and there's something to ride for everyone depending on your perceived ability. Stay as long as you like, some leaving Sunday & some Monday. However, we usually try to coordinate at Potosi Brewing Company for post Levis libations!

Historically, the shelter at Levis has not been open over Memorial Day weekend. I'm working with Clark Co. Forestry on getting it open for us. It may be a nice haven should mother nature get serious. I'll keep ya posted.

Post up if you plan to go and are willing/want to share a ride.

More info here: www.levismounds.com

the browns are in

I'll be there in spirit......
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I'm in but looking for a ride (PM me if you have a seat available). Could leave as early as Friday morning. Planning on camping.

The weather sure doesn't look like it wants to cooperate for the weekend. Camping in the rain sucks!
    Tourist

I agree about the weather. Gonna keep watching it but may want to start thinking about something else in a different direction. Anybody have any ideas in a 4-6 hour radius with riding and camping (camping availability may be the biggest issue this weekend)

Brown county comes to mind I've heard their campsites book early.

I checked with peeps in KC, MO and those parks are closed due excessive rain and more on the way this weekend. I'll call Brown Co tmrw morning to check on camping and trail conditions. Brown Co is currently "yellow". Otherwise Peoria may be an option?

This is the Black River Falls meteorologist discussion as of 3pm.
    Friday
    Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy, with a high near 80. Light and variable wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
    Friday Night
    Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy, with a low around 61. Southeast wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
    Saturday
    Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy, with a high near 78. South wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
    Saturday Night
    A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59. South wind 3 to 8 mph.
    Sunday
    A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 79. South wind 5 to 9 mph.
    doesn't look good. The browns are out, bummer

Checked camping availability at Kettle & Brown Co. for Fri & Sat nights, nothing available. Brown Co. trail status still "yellow"; Kettle may be sketchy? Levis folks reported we would be "good to go"...riding & camping if you would like to venture up; however, their in the process of getting porta-potties? Could always try to stay in motels if you like. Given the circumstance at Levis, doesn't look like it was meant to be this year, sucks!

Board Position
    Event Coordinator / Race Director

Just came across this info...Here's the link for a GoFundMe page to help rebuild the Chalet at Levis Mound...There is an update on the page, the county is committed to rebuilding.
    https://www.gofundme.com/levismound

Dammit anyway...we're going! Found a place to stay in BRF, leaving tmrw morning 7ish, only staying one night though!

Maybe a day trip? Wpp or sugar bottom? Weather and trail status permitting

Not going to happen for me, maybe a weekend later on this summer
    Tourist

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Kurt and I would consider a Sunday trip- Blue Mound , Sugar Bottom, Wpp and other Peoria trails like Indy or the Dirty bird if we called down for a trial report.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I'm in on Peoria