Thread: Pump Track Sterling IL

Default Pump Track Sterling IL

Had a meeting with the City of Sterling and Park District today. They are ready to build 2 pump tracks and a jump line. Have location and dirt with a good clay base. What would you like to see in a pump track? Jump line will be table tops. Will be starting once the ground is good enough for them to get dump trucks in the park.

Fred

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Very cool. If you haven't already, check out Lee McCormack's Pump Track Nation book. Seems to be a very helpful resource for getting a pumptrack up and running and includes a few layouts.

I got links for days for you, Fred! When I lived in Austin, TX we had a really awesome pump track called Walnut Creek. It was actually located inside some single track MTB trails and was considered a public trail. It is sort of a combination of a pump track/jump track but everything that is down there is 100% roll-able on all bike wheel sizes. What was cool about Walnut was that it brought riders of all skill levels together to ride the exact same terrain. The same jumps/table tops that my wife (novice skill level) could pump and roll over were the same jumps that other riders would backflip and 360. It is one of my all time favorite places to ride for the simple fact that you and all of your friends could ride the same spot and all have fun. This is a link to a video from a few years back at Walnut Creek. There are more advanced level riders in this video but it does show a few clips of people rolling over the same lines that people are jumping.

The things I like most in pump tracks are good berms and rollers (duh, I guess). Utilizing elevation changes in the lay of the land can really help out as well.

In an attempt to not completely highjack your thread, I'll just leave it at this for now.
    Can you ramp it?