Thread: Which 29er and little help w/componet diffs

Default Which 29er and little help w/componet diffs

Alright so here's my list so far on the search for my new Hardtail:

Giant XTC
    G F Cobia
    Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

All of these bikes are pretty close in price range and all the reviews I have read have said very little bad about the bikes. I've read about comparing componet packages but to be honest I'm not really sure if this is better than that if ya know what I mean . . . I've ridden a Cobia around a parking lot and have ridden a Giant Rainer and figure the xtc can't be all that different . . . still need to ride the stumpjumper . . .

So my question to you more knowledgeable folks than I is:

which one has the best componets?

Any one out of these three stand out as a no-brainer to buy?

Any other help/advice is appreciated :) and thanks in advance :D

Well both are very nice bikes-but the Specialized definately has the upper hand in my opinion is far as componetry goes. But isnt there about a $700 difference in the bikes? In the GF line up the x-caliber is more of an equal to the stumpjumper.

To paraphrase my main man Eddy Merckx: It doesn't matter which 29er you ride, it only matters that you ride.

These bikes are all so similar, you really won't go wrong. Just pick the shop you feel comfortable with, the one that feels right when you tool around the area, the one with the best color, whatever.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

the "no-brainer" is to make sure you are comfortable on the bike you choose to spend your money on.

if you are looking across the 3 manf's - GF, Giant, Specialized - compare the bikes at equivalent MSRP's and component groups. then, test ride each and whichever "fits" and feels best to you is the one you should buy. all 3 of these manufacturers make great bikes, so either way you go you will have a very nice ride.

take online reviews for what they are worth....if you go to mtbr.com and read reviews on these three manufacturers, you are going to be hard pressed to find negative reviews - think about it: if you dropped $1000+ on a new bike, you would probably think that it was the best thing you've ever had, especially if this is your first MTB with that kind of price tag....that's my point about the online review community - take 'em for what they are worth, learn a few things, and test the bikes out on your own so you can form your own opinion.

....just my $.02

by the way, up until recently the closest Specialized dealer was Geoff's Bike and Ski in Iowa City. In fact, that's where I bought my first "nice" bike. Now we have a Specialized dealer locally at Healthy Habits in Bettendorf. Check em out for a test ride.

Trek all the way!!!!!!!!

That one right there......

Quote Originally Posted by Slim3 View Post
    That one right there......
    Which one ? ? ? Awe crap I missed it

Anyway last post I swear before I pull the trigger . . .
    My question comes now to frame size I'm 5'9" and 32" inseam . . . correct me if I'm wrong but conventional wisdom says I should have a 19" frame correct ? ?

Well I went for a ride on a 19" gary fisher and on a 17" gary fisher and I have to say I felt better on the paragon than I did on the Cobia . . . the cobia felt like i was reaching for the handle bars. So I'm pretty sure I know what you guys are gonna say but I just wanted a little more advice before I spend this kinda money . . .

Convential wisdom is different for 29 than 26... For little wheels, you're probably right about a 19" frame, but you may be on the bubble between 17" and 19" for big wheels. I'm 5'10", 32.5" inseam, and both of my 29ers are medium frames. If you felt better on the Paragon, by all means, buy the Paragon.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Yea I believe the 19" would be too big- it would work but I agree thinking the 17.5 would work out way better for you. Im 5'10 and have a 17.5 inch Gary Fisher Rig 29er and absolutely love it! Paragon would be sweeeeeet! Go get it!! :)

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

wait, I'm 5'7 and rockin' a medium. Did I size my bike wrong??
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkn1 View Post
    Does it feel right? If so, "No". If not, "Yes".

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Its on the bigger side, but some people like bigger bikes and some like smaller, if you feel like it fits well, then your fine.

To the OP I just went through the same thing, but on a Full Suspension, I went to every shop rode the bikes really only Trek, GF, and Giant are around here and coming from a Hardtail Specialized that I loved. I wanted to try a Specialized also, and the only people who carry them are HH, but they dont really stock to many. Also, I wanted a 2008 also, just b/c for the must part nothing really changed you can just get a much better deal, so everything Im describing are 08 bikes not 09 and FS not hardtails.

After looking at riding them all and looking at MTBR.com reviews and forums, GF seemed to have the worse reviews, about quality/ broken frames, and the customer sevrice wasnt to good, so I kind of crossed that off the list, but the rest all had good reviews.

Giant was a real nice bike just $$$, I dont know if their frames are that much better, but the same setup componets wise on the trek and specialized were 700-800 more, I crossed that off.

So between the Specialized and Trek I really liked both so I went with the better deal which was Specialized, by about a 150 bucks. I actually got it in Madison, Wi at Erik's Bikes, which isnt a big deal for me b/c Im in Milwaukee around once or twice a month a can drop it off on the weekend to get anything fix or tuned up I need. They also have a lifetime warranty on every componet on the bike, which I liked. Also if you are interested in going that far, they have about 100-150 mountain bikes there and about 1/2 are 08s so you can get a good deal on them I got mine for about 900 off the price due to being an 08.

Now, Im waiting like a kid on christmas for the trails to open, so I can go ride, since I just brought the bike home about 2 hours ago.

-Brandon

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Dood, I'm 6 foot and I just turned 3,000 miles off road on my 07 Giant Anthem 2 (That's the cheapest one in the line up!) and it's a n 18.5. I bought it a little small because I like a bike that others would call "twitchy". Lot's of doods like a more open kokpit and so they get a bigger size. The important thing to anyone reading these posts are:

1. Giant, Trek, Fisher, Specialized, pretty much all mass produced brands- with the exception of some Carbon fiber and specialty frames that are hand built elsewhere, the majority of ALL of these frames are made in the same overseas factory, but they have slightly different geometry. Doods and Doodettes have slightly different geometry, too. Start at the bike shop closest to your house and ride bikes until you find the one that makes you smile, and you are comfortable flying over the bars on.

2. Make sure the bike you decide on is in a cool shop- you want to feel comfortable hanging out and feel compfortable asking questions and getting advice. You are gonna want to build a long term 1st name relationship with this place, so you should feel good walking in the door. (this usually isn't a problem in the QC- I've spent dollars in all of'em and been pretty dang happy about it!)

3. Make absolutely sure you are comparing apples to apples. A 1800.00 bike at one shop will not be as nice as a 3600.00 bike at another shop, even if they have exactly the same frame. If one bike is more than 20% different than another bike- check components closely!!

4. Never, ever, under any circumstances start a Ford/Chevy style argument with brands that are made in the same factory.

5. 70% of doods age 25 to 40 have a mountain bike in their garage they haven't ridden in 6 months. DO NOT be one of those doods! Get on the beaten path and ride, man, ride!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.