Thread: Taming of the Slough 2015 - Call For Volunteers

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Default Taming of the Slough 2015 - Call For Volunteers

The 2015 Taming of the Slough is just around the corner (Sat. Sept. 19th) and we are looking for volunteers to help with the MTB portion of the event which will be utilizing the trails at Illiniwek.

Volunteer positions needed on the day of the event are:
    • Course Setup/Teardown (~5 people from 7:00-8:00 am & 11:00 am -12:00 pm)
    • Course Marshals (~10 people from 8:00-11:00 am)
    • First Aid Tent (~2 people from 8:00-11:00 am)

If you would like to help out, please post here. Volunteers will receive a t-shirt and free pizza at the after party at Emipre Park. Let me know the size of t-shirt you need so I can have them reserved.

Also, the Taming Tune Up Sessions start this week. The first is on Thurs. 8/27 from 5:30-7:00 pm and the next are on 9/3 and 9/10 (both Thursdays & at the same time). In the event the trails are closed, the MTB portion of the Tune Up will be cancelled. We could use a few volunteers to help mark out the course for the Tune Ups and help any riders with questions/problems. If volunteering for the Tune Ups, post up and meet at 5:00 pm at the main trailhead off of IL-84 at Illiniwek.
    Last edited by DH001; 08-23-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Drew, I should be able to help with setup and maybe marshal although, I've never marshaled before.

Board Position

Ryan, marshaling is easy. We just make sure the racers stay safe, report any incidents via radio, and assist in case of injury or mechanical problems. Most of the time is spent goofing off on the radios...

Cool, in that case I can marshal if you need me to, as well.

I'll be there this Thursday to help out and ride etc. I plan on being there for the race to help set up and Marshal

Board Position

Great! Steve and Ryan, what size T-shirts do you want?

I can also help this Thursday for the ride and can help set up and marshal during the race. Size large T-Shirt.

Large

the browns will be there this Thursday (8/27) to help with the tune-up. We are not available for the other 2 tune-up sessions, but will be there for course marshal duty on race day. mp needs a medium shirt, I will take an XL.
    Drew do we need to register, as volunteers, with River Action for the event, as in the past?

Board Position

Quote Originally Posted by dirtboy View Post
    Drew do we need to register, as volunteers, with River Action for the event, as in the past?
    When I checked the River Action website a few days ago they didn't have the option to register for volunteering on the MTB section. At the Taming committee meeting tonight I'll ask if that is still necessary and if they can add it to their online volunteer signup form.

Large, thanks!

Board Position

Great volunteer turnout for the first Tune Up! Thanks everyone for the help. We'll be out again this Thursday (9/3) @ 5:00 pm. I don't have any solid commitments for Tune Up #2 yet so let me know if you can help. 4 people or more would be ideal.

At this point I plan to be there

Board Position

Heads up, the Illiniwek trails are still closed and we got more rain this afternoon making the trails greasy and soft. The MTB portion of the Tune Up will be cancelled tonight due to the trail closure. Get the word out.

Drew, do we need to sign up with river action if we are going to volunteer with forc? I didn't see an option for that.

Board Position

Steve, they just added the option for bike section volunteers. To any who are planning on volunteering, please fill out the form (available here) so they can get proper estimates for pizza and shirts.

Hey FORCers, We still need some Course Marshals for the Taming of the Slough this Saturday (9/19). The gig is from 8am to about noon. Stand in the woods, watch, and encourage, people as they go by. You get to wear a cool yellow vest and play with a walkie talkie. But wait there's more. You get a free t-shirt, pizza and beer after the race.
    So please give us a hand. Put your name on this thread and then go to this page (http://www.riveraction.org/node/244) to register as a volunteer with River Action. It will help them know how much pizza to get and guarantees you get the correct size shirt. If you wake up Saturday and decide to help, that is cool as well, just show up. Thanks to the folks that already stepped up. We really appreciate it.
    Meet at the Illiniwek trail head before 8am, get your vest and radio and join the fun. It's the volunteers that make these things go, help make it go.
    db

I will be able to course marshal at Illiniwek on Saturday morning. See you there!
    Tourist

Hey I forgot to beg... I mean ask, the MTB Patrol members; who can give us a hand on Saturday? Could use some first aid trained folks, just in case. Let me know if you can help. Also, follow the link in the above post to get set up for t-shirts and beer with River Action. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtboy View Post
    Hey I forgot to beg... I mean ask, the MTB Patrol members; who can give us a hand on Saturday? Could use some first aid trained folks, just in case. Let me know if you can help. Also, follow the link in the above post to get set up for t-shirts and beer with River Action. Thanks!
    I'll be there! Last year the most excitement we had was a guy going down while eating pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by acw4red View Post
    i'll be there! Last year the most excitement we had was a guy going down while eating pizza!
    Parmesan Stat!!

I'll be able to course marshal, already signed up on RA site

Board Position

Fingers crossed we miss the rain forecast for the end of the week. If the trails are too wet to ride, our plan B will involve directing riders on an out and back course up to Rapids City on the paved bike trail along IL-84. We'll station marshals at a few points along the trail. Meeting time and location will remain the same: 7:00 am at Illiniwek. The Plan B Route and Course Marshal locations are marked on this map
    Last edited by DH001; 09-15-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Board Position
    President

Course marshal every .31 miles. I hope that will be enough.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Board Position

Plan B is looking ever more like a reality. We've had 3/4" of rain in the last 24hrs at the trails and they are much too soft to support bikes. Another 1-2" is expected today/tonight. I don't think they are going to be dry enough for racing on Saturday. At this point, plan is to set up along the bike path to Schulers Park in Rapids City. Meet at Illiniwek at 7:00am on the campground side of IL-84 in the field directly east of the ball diamonds and we'll have a short briefing and begin setup.