Thread: upgrade from trek 3900?

Default upgrade from trek 3900?

Been taking the bike out as much as possible lately and i have found that my 03 trek 3900 is not keeping up to my level. I would like to start taking more jumps and riding more aggressive. Im in the ballpark of 500 to spend. Also up for any suggestions as to upgrading my current bike or what i should be looking for. Thanks!

I hate to answer these kind of ??? 'cause it's easy to offend or come across as a jerk, but i'll try 'cause i've been in your shoes.
    my advise would be to save more money and get the best bike you can afford. i have an entry level bike i bought for about $650 and after dumping a shit ton of money into it, i still had an entry level bike. Why? the frame. no matter how many upgrades you put on a cheap frame, you still have a cheap frame. a Trek 3900 frame wasn't made for jumping, so no matter what you do to it, it will still be an entry level bike.

Good Luck.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I dont take any reply personal. I appreciate all the info i can get and the more i ask around, the more i get this same answer. Being in my 2nd year of riding it is hard to even know what to be looking for. Thanks though!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Stephen's Park

Bike prices IMO have skyrocketed... A quality full suspension will run ya 2k. A quality hardtail. Not much less... Ya get why ya pay for... IMO I would spend your max budget plus some... Especially if your in for the long haul!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldoggious View Post
    it is hard to even know what to be looking for.
    I understand. every bike is way different and what is good for one guy isn't good for another. the best thing to do is ride some different bikes and see which one just feels good under you.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I was in the same boat this year after spending about 400 on my first hardtail two years ago. I was looking for a full suspension, but only wanted to spend about 1000-1500. Sadly I found out that unless I got a really good deal on a used bike, I would not be able to find a good full suspension in that price point. Increase your number to just under 2000 and you should be able to find an okay spec'd fs bike. 1000 would be a pretty okay price point for a nice hardtail (one with good components, disc brakes, and a real air fork)

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Stephen's Park

Money doesn't buy happiness but it will buy a bike and that is pretty close. Get the best bike you can afford!

Good deals can be had on used bikes too, if you're patient.

You'll get a lot more bike for your money if you go used.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

i thinkI need some more experience on hardtail till i make the switch, forgot to add that hardtail is what im looking for. i think the plan will be to hold off for a while, save up, and hardtail with 100mm+ decent suspension within the next year. Thanks again and still interested if anybody else has something to add.

I'm with these guys, dont get me wrong I LOVE my bike, but its an entry lvl frame. Surprisingly geometry is about spot on with similar higher end hardtails.

But don't even ask how much I have in it.......forks cost almost as much as the whole bike....only stock part is frame.... The bike I could have gotten for the money (still would have ended up with same forks, probably same wheels I now have but still)

I have seen over the past few months decent deals on good hardtails have come across Craigslist. Used is great if the deal is fair because we have all seen $2000 bike new being sold for $17-1800 because "hardly used" but that same bike new cause its previous yrs model can be had at bike shop with full warranty for the same price. If buying new, go for the deals, 2014 version things like that.