Passing along information from an email from Dean Matthias (Bareback):

I would like to have a “Broken Helmet” display at the March 28th “Spring into Bicycling” to encourage non-helmeted riders to wear helmets. I was wondering if you could help me get the word out by 1) including the request on the “Spring into Bicycling” Constant Contact event notification and 2) putting a mention next to the article on the website and Facebook. Hope I can acquire enough “broken helmets” to have a major display. Maybe 50. I have at least one.

I also have cc'd the bike shops and some cyclists to see if they might have a broken helmet or two that saved them or their customers.

Riders can drop their broken helmets off at the “Spring into Bicycling” event at the Freight House lower reception hall anytime between 9 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. on Saturday March 28th.with their name and telephone number on the inside, and if possible attach a note card with a zip tie telling us how the helmet saved the rider from further injuries. I will get the helmets back to the riders.

Thanks everyone for helping get the request and the word out!

As the magnetic bicycle sticker from the Iowa Bicycle Coalition says, “Don’t hit the road without one!”

Bareback: 3 oh 9 - seven 3 seven - 8 four two 9