Thread: Sundown Mountain (Dubuque) FATBIKE Slush Cup March 15, 2015

Board Position
    President

Default Sundown Mountain (Dubuque) FATBIKE Slush Cup March 15, 2015

Racers and others… the event we’ve all been waiting for in the Midwest! Think of this as a day of fun (not a day of suffering during a 10 hour bike race – although there will be lots racing [just in little bursts])
    Forecasted weather is Sunshine and 42dF!!! What could be better than FATBIKING on snow at 42d with a couple hundred others? Nighttime will be cold, and everything will be groomed so the snow should be in Fantastic condition!

Because how closing day works (weather related) at Sundown, we really didn’t have much time to put this on. So even if you don’t plan on attending due to prior commitments, please pass this along and share everywhere you can!

Requirements:
    1. FATBIKE (Minimum of 3.0” tires on 50mm rims – it’s going to be warm so my recommendation is for you to race your widest wheelset)
    2. Helmet
    3. Signed Sundown Mountain Waiver

The schedule for the day (Sunday March 15th) is as follows:
    · 9 am to 4 pm Skiing and Boarding
    · 9 am to 11 am Dummy Jump Registration – You build anything you want (some rules apply) on skis or snowboard then jump/destroy it in style
    · 10 am to 11:30 Pond Skim Registration
    · Noon to 2 pm Pond Skim - Skis and Boards – how far and in how much style can you traverse open ice cold water? Any Fatbiker want to give it a try?
    · Noon to 4 pm FATBIKE Registration
    · 1 pm to 3:30 pm FATBIKE Short Track Last Rider Elimination Bracket Races – short (under 10 minute) races where we pull the last place racer on each lap until the winner remains. Winning racer moves to the winners bracket(s), second place moves to the runner up brackets(s). Entire Course is right next to the lodge and is completely viewable. Will have short pump track section, banked corners, and a short climb. Endurance isn’t important but not puking may be.
    · 1 pm to close Live Music
    · 2 pm to 4 pm Dummy Jump – on the other side of the Lodge
    · 4 pm Mass Start FATBIKE Hill Climb – Quick 100 yards up Sunbowl for cash and drinks (depending on the snow conditions this will be a challenge). Immediately after we will start the SuperGS Downhill.
    · 4:15 Super GS FATBIKE Race starts – the main event!!! Full on +500’ of vertical drop S style across the entire mountain. Solo runs will be upwards of 4 minutes and require very little pedaling, although it will require lots of braking and bike handling skills as all gates must be properly negotiated… miss a gate, go back and continue. Start order is based on registration order.

The large triple chairlift will be open for the bikers to get back to mountain top!!!

$20 Entry for all FATBIKE Events – PondSkim, Skiing, Boarding, and Dummy Jump each have their own registrations fees.

Cash Prizes

www.SunDownMTN.com
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Can't wait - hopefully there's some snow left for Sun.! Planning on boarding in the am then doing the fatbike stuff. I'll have a pair of skis with me that someone can use if anyone's interested - size 10 boots - message me for my cell if you want to meet up.

This is the first time I regret selling my fat bike. I want to do the GS and short track so bad.

sounds like a good St Patty's parade hangcure.
    ?

Board Position
    President

Leaving the QC around 10.

This little taste of Spring we've had has left me with no desire whatsoever to go to this event, so i'm gonna work on the berm bridge with Drew. Later
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Board Position
    President

I had a bike boner the whole time. Not ever often you get to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    I had a bike boner the whole time. Not ever often you get to do that.
    Agreed.. that was worth the price of admission, no doubt! The Andrews jump line at the end of the day was suweet - made it just before the groomer got 'em. Sundown staff was really cool and the GM said they are thinking of ways to add more bike time next year - maybe morning and/or night sessions next winter...and was talking about summer downhill, but it won't happen this year.

I loved everything about it was worth it nodout. Can't wait to do it again.