Thread: Mega Cavern Bike Park Trip

Default Mega Cavern Bike Park Trip

There has been a lot of talk about the Mega Cavern Bike Park in Louisville (link below)

http://www.louisvillemegacavern.com/...ound-bike-park

Vonda and I are planning on making a long weekend trip there. We are going to leave Friday morning (March 6) and return Sunday (March 8). Try to ride half a day Friday, all day Saturday, and maybe a morning session Sunday if we feel like it. We don't have much room (they don't rent bikes) but thought I would throw it out there in case anyone else is interested. It's about a 6.5 hour drive, kind of long but easy for a long weekend.

This place is on my "gotta ride asap" list but asap isn't for a while yet. Maybe put together a club weekend trip together sometime.later this yr or early next?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    This place is on my "gotta ride asap" list but asap isn't for a while yet. Maybe put together a club weekend trip together sometime.later this yr or early next?
    CSB!
    Last edited by SugarShane; 02-18-2015 at 02:34 PM.

I'm seeing a lack of pics (zero) from XC, pump track, etc. but plenty of bmx jumps. What gives? they claim 45 trails and something for the whole family. I might wait for a report before i go since i don't have a dirt jumper anymore.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/mega-undergr...ville-kentucky Take a look at the reviews - if you want jumps, looks like a pretty sweet place - if you want singletrack, might want to look elsewhere.
    Tourist

Well there's at least something for us ppl that like to keep our tires mostly on the ground. Its just the fact its in a giant cave, that's why I want to, who cares if I gotta roll a bunch of jumps, ITS A HUGE CAVERN I CAN RIDE MY MTB IN!!!! Rates a 8.5-9.0 on my cool shit-o-meter.

For those who might still be interested, we are planning to stay at the Econolodge in downtown Louisville (401 S 2nd St.) It's $109/night and there are number of breweries and restaurants nearby.

Well worth the trip.....pics after we get home....think rays with outside cc track but with a lot of different alternate routes, some tight technical spots. Although it's dirt it's hard and sharp as rock should you crash off the runs. And yes it's a dirt jumper paradise.

We arrived 30 minutes early and they let us right in. Really friendly staff. Prepare for a dust nightmare though even as they constantly water.

Now to avoid our confusion as there are many entrances, walk bikes into picnic shelter the doors you want are thru there, one set of double doors. All other doors lead to really dark places with really big trucks.

Where are those pics? Please. Thinking about a Spring break trip now. With this long winter, I am itching to go riding somewhere it is not below zero...

I'm anxious to hear the ride report, my brother and I might go there next month

http://youtu.be/FzcGT7y8lYU

here's a video that shows the XC riding pretty well.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Anybody have any first hand experience with this place yet? I've had a few BMX buddies tell me some mixed reviews. They pretty much went there for the doubles and the pump track, though. I've heard that sometimes it is super dialed. But other times the humidity inside the cave makes everything really muddy.

Just my two cents, I might be completely off base, but I was not impressed.

I was just there before christmas (12/18). I do not think that I'll be returning unless they redesign the place completely.

Lots of good ideas, but the execution and follow through are just not there.

Did not find any flow to the trails or obstacles in the loops, and the jumps lines are pretty basic.

My understanding from one of the guys is that they are going to knock a bunch of stuff down and rebuild a lot of it soon, but we'll have to see.

The other thing too is that it is underground and a lot of the fumes from the machinery and such seem trapped there. If you're sensative to diesel you may want to reconsider.

Rays in MKE or CLE is much better suited for indoor riding.

This place seemed like a tourist trap that had some extra space and tried to capitalize on a new market.
    Shut up body and do what I tell you