Thread: Tubeless questions

Default Tubeless questions

How much Stans is needed for a fatbike tire initially?

How much is needed for the monthly refill?

Is a specific tool needed to remove the valve core?

Any tubeless parties coming up? I need to convert one wheel and redo the other eventually...not sure I want to attempt alone.

Thanks for any info!

I put in 4-6oz to start.

Add 2oz twice a year, though will add more whenever I feel like a tire is losing air.

Any valve core removal tool will work. So will small pliers but not as handy.

What rim/tire setup are you doing? Some aren't too bad. Some plain suck.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

usually a 4mm open wrench fits the valve cores. As far as sealant required, a lot of that depends on initial prep such as tapework and fitment of tire to rim. My Marge lites and Nates took some doing, involving lots of sealant, lots of tape, some sill plate insulation, ect. The setup on my Jackalopes with Hodags involved 4oz of sealant, one wrap of packing tape, valve stem, and a hand pump.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post

What rim/tire setup are you doing? Some aren't too bad. Some plain suck.

Rg.
    Thanks! I've got rolling Daryls with Nates. sounds like that combo might be a pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinStir View Post
    Thanks! I've got rolling Daryls with Nates. sounds like that combo might be a pain in the butt.
    The Daryl/Nate combo has been the most problematic I'ver personally seen and experienced. With that combo I'd do this:

-Do your rim strip and tape as if you're going tubeless that day.
    -Mount the tire on the wheel using a tube.
    -Leave it mounted with the tube for at least several days, RIDE IT.
    -Break the bead on one side and yank the tube.
    -Insert stem, finish your tubeless setup.

If you can't or don't want to do that, make sure you have a strap handy to wrap around the tire. Even then, as I experienced trying to setup a Nate on a Rolling Daryl a week ago, it may not seat. It just simply would not budge.

This sounds like a reason to get together and drink a couple beers at AG's to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    The Daryl/Nate combo has been the most problematic I'ver personally seen and experienced. With that combo I'd do this:

-Do your rim strip and tape as if you're going tubeless that day.
    -Mount the tire on the wheel using a tube.
    -Leave it mounted with the tube for at least several days, RIDE IT.
    I've had zero problems doing it this way. I left the tube in at high(er) pressure for over a week- and got out and rode it like that at various pressures to ensure the tape is stuck well and the bead is seated.

I usually use a 5 gallon bucket to set the wheel on, unseated side down, while inflating with a compressor to use gravity to get the bead to grab. I had a little bead leakage for a couple rides, but went out yesterday without an issue at all.

I have two brand new Nates on Darryls. To me, the Nate is the grabbinest, velcro-ey, brappin' ass tire there is- or at least of all the tires I've used.

Good luck.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Thanks for all the feedback!

If I'm just replacing the tire (rim already setup tubeless with a Larry) will I need to replace the strip and tape or does it just depend on the condition of each?

Quote Originally Posted by SpinStir View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback!

If I'm just replacing the tire (rim already setup tubeless with a Larry) will I need to replace the strip and tape or does it just depend on the condition of each?
    As long as breaking the bead on the existing tire doesn't damage your tape, you should be good. I've had it come off fine, and I've also seen it peel the tape off the rim a little. If it comes off the rim at all, retape it.

Do I want 35 or 44mm valve stems?

Doesn't matter terribly, though with single wall rims a shorter stem may be less likely to get caught and damaged. Not that you'd be riding a fatbike any place that could have something damage a stem...

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.