Thread: Monthly meetings

Default Monthly meetings

I know Helen and I are new members to FORC but I must say I am really disappointed that you chose Bent River Brewery for your monthly meetings. They are very big gun control supporters and have "no concealed carry" signs on every door at both locations. When I contacted them about it they where pretty much a--h--es about it and basically told me it was tough if I did not like their policy. I will not be attending anything at these 2 locations. To bad you could not find a better place to have these meetings!

That's too bad. As an organization focused on advocating natural surface trail access in our area, we try not to get entangled in the myriad of other issues our members are passionate about. Rather than dwell on our differences, we seek the common ground of dirt. Sure hope you reconsider!

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Well that is your decision as an organization. My decision as an individual is to not do business of any kind with businesses that support this anti gun agenda.

Please make sure the new venue has Pepsi. I did not watch my buddies die face down in the muck so that we could drink Coke.
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Does it really seem like a good idea to have concealed weapons in a bar anyway? I mean, I like guns, but a bar just doesn't seem like the best place to be carrying. Just sayin'...
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

I agree bars and weapons do not mix. Illinois law feels the same. In Illinois, you cannot conceal and carry in an establishment that 50% or more of their sales are in alcohol ILCS 66/65.

FORC consists of an incredibly diverse group of people from all walks of life, politics included, but when it comes down to it we put our differences aside and do what's necessary to support Mountain Biking in and around the Quad Cities.

It's been a challenge to find a good space, in a good location, with good service at reasonable prices. That'w what put us at Bent-RI, and they have not disappointed so far!

Hopefully the desire to support your local MTB Trails ultimately trumps your desire to not support Bent. Remember you can bring in your food, and also maybe consider what Krud posted - their stance may not entirely be based on an anti-2A belief, but that maybe it's state law they are complying with (I have no idea if that's the case or not, I don't know the owners/managers/etc).

-Steve

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

RE: the Facebook comment about BRB "making a political statement not required of them" by displaying the no guns sign.

The IL law does require locations in which concealed carry is prohibited to display the standardized no guns emblem at entrances. The specific part of the law outlining this is ILCS 66/65 (d).

Quote Originally Posted by ILCS 66/65 (d)
    Signs stating that the carrying of firearms is prohibited shall be clearly and conspicuously posted at the entrance of a building, premises, or real property specified in this Section as a prohibited area, unless the building or premises is a private residence...

Well guys you can quote the law, you can quote what right and wrong in your opinion and you can say how great Bent River has been to this group. That is all fine. I will continue to support FORC. BUT I have never gave any of these businesses with this sign in their door any business and I NEVER will. I always politely contact these businesses and sometimes I get good responses and other times I get responses like the one I got from Bent River. Pretty much this is our policy take it or leave. Well I will leave and never be back and I will spread the word!

Hey dude, its Illinois law for safety. They don't want some drunk person killing ppl. The bar is doing what ILLINOIS LAW REQUIRES. I get they weren't nice to you, but wonder how many times their contacted about it and people get irate. just because the signs are there doesn't make yhem anti gun, just that they want to stay in business and not get shut down for breaking the law.

And this coming from someone that thinks over whelming gun control is not right at all. But law to keep bars SAFE from drunken idiots with guns makes sense.

Wild west movies come to mind...

Its is like saying no guns in schools is a anti gun/ rights matter. Not going to let ur kids go to school because no guns allowed?
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

Deleted.

Because.
    Last edited by jimithng23; 11-30-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

If it really bothers you so much, why not come up with a new venue that meets our needs as much as/more than Bent RI and propose a change? Typically it doesn't do much good to complain about something without bringing a solution to the table.

Also, like previously mentioned, you don't have to spend a dime at Bent in order to attend the meeting. Bring in your own food, drink water, and support the club. Easy as that.

Well I tried to keep this civil and now all I am getting is lectured and attacked. Great group we joined here! Administrators you can refund my dues or not. Really does not matter to me. We are gone. Don't need this BS!

This is what the first response was intended to avoid...

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    ......we try not to get entangled in the myriad of other issues our members are passionate about. Rather than dwell on our differences, we seek the common ground of dirt.
    Sigh....

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Sorry you are feeling attacked, Buka, but that is definitely not the vibe I'm getting here. I'm seeing civil discussion on the topic at hand (which has absolutely nothing to do with mountain biking) with a joke or two thrown in. Clearly the members involved in the decision to hold meetings at Bent do not have an issue with the establishment, so there is not much incentive to initiate a change. Like I said in my last post, if it really is that big of a deal to you then take action by proposing a constructive change instead of posting complaints Online.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we don't want to alienate people or make them feel unwelcome. This club is a great group of people that volunteer to spend a lot of time and effort improving the mountain bike scene in the QCA. So to echo what Steve said, I hope that your desire to support and become involved in that cause will overcome your desire to blast Bent.

-Michael

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Stephen's Park

Ya I'd prefer no one at the bar has a gun. Call me crazy... My taste for good beer trumps the need to conceal a firearm at a bar hands down... Just leave your gun in the car... What is the big deal? You still have the right to bear arms. Just not at the bar... Just my 2 cents. You should still come to meetings at bent!

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    That's too bad. As an organization focused on advocating natural surface trail access in our area, we try not to get entangled in the myriad of other issues our members are passionate about. Rather than dwell on our differences, we seek the common ground of dirt. Sure hope you reconsider!

Rg.
    Well stated, Rage. Thanks. I know it's a hard topic to lay off of, but FORC shouldn't be taking up any political positions beyond trail access and advocacy. Guys/girls, we accomplish nothing positive by adding personal views and/or commenting on such subjects. We are certainly doing no favors to anyone by piling on comments of any kind to a new member who most of us haven't gotten to know, yet, and who likely isn't going to be able to determine what's a playful joke and what's a demonstrative stance for/against. It's IMPOSSIBLE to read tone in posts/emails. It's natural for someone to take written comments personally. Plus, who knows who else is reading these posts and drawing conclusions about what FORC is about or how FORCers treat new people/opinions? This is a no win situation.

My advice (for anyone who gives a rip): Make like a Disney princess and let it go.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Board Position
    President

Frozen.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.