Thread: Trailwork - The Post Setting Continues

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Default Trailwork - The Post Setting Continues

For this week's project we will be continuing work on the remaining posts for the switchberm and starting on the next set of posts. Setting the 6x6 posts is at least a 3 person job. Meet at the upper south lot for all work sessions.

Tuesday (11/18) & Wednesday (11/19) @ 3:30 - 5:15 pm
    I'll have all necessary tools for these days and just need a few people to help maneuver posts as we level them. All holes were dug Sunday but may require a bit of enlarging. If everything goes to plan, we should be able to get the remaining 8 posts set over these days.

Bring a headlight to these weeknight days if you have one. We may be hiking out as it is getting dark.

Saturday (11/22) @ 10:00am (and possibly Sunday too?)
    The plan is to start digging holes and setting the posts for the second berm structure. These are all 4x4 posts and won't be nearly as difficult as the previous structure.
    Tools which would be super handy to have on this day:
    • Wheelbarrow
    • A couple man powered post hole diggers (clam shell type) and post hole spades
    • Laser Level for establishing grade reference line
    • Generator (+1400W)
    • Skill Saw (at least 2" depth of cut)
    • Gas powered post hole auger (8")
    • Impact driver (we'll actually get to use one this time ;-))

I'll check the ground Friday evening to see if it is still soft enough for digging holes and post an update. In the worst case, we'll resort to the brute force method. I have a rock bar that can break through a few inches of frost to get to unfrozen dirt.

Post up if you can make it to any of these days and if you can bring any of the tools listed above.

Board Position

John and I were able to get 4 more posts set on the switchberm today. Only 4 more to go for that structure.

The frost line is currently at 4" and growing but we were able to break through the top layer of frozen soil with a little effort and get to the soft stuff.

Still planning on working tomorrow afternoon from 3:30-5ish. We should finish the switchberm posts and be able to move on to the next structure after that.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

I won't be able to make it out Saturday due to work, but can definitely help out early Sunday with the auger. Otherwise it will be at the shop if you want to swing out and grab it, Drew. Just let me know.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Still on for today? I have a generator and laser with me and can bring my circular saw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Board Position

Yeah, still planning on working today. Ground isn't very muddy and the chance of rain is low.

Board Position

Not going to be working tomorrow given the forecast: 100% chance of rain. We'll get out later in the week to finish the posts on the final structure when it dries out. Shouldn't have to worry about frost for a while with the warmer temps over the next few days.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, to all who donated to the wood berm project at Illinewek. Donations totaling 100% in less than a month is outstanding. If you haven't been out to see what's happening for yourself, let me just say, you wont be disappointed. As always the pics don't do it justice. These things are going to be amazing.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.