Thread: Need some technique help

Default Need some technique help

OK trying to explain in other forums what situation im referrring to for my issue is seeming difficult to get accross.

So need to probe the minds of FORC for help here.

Issue is with jump/drop on descents. One is the one on sugar bottom that has the alt line (which I use now instead of rolling it), just looks intimidating and landing line appears narrow. Not sure if this one is one I should try being might be above what my bike will handle (with my big a** on it)

THIS IS MY BIG ISSUE: that drop right near the end of Kick Down (not the jump mid way with alt line). That thing you can hear me nailing the brakes cause I always come up way to fast, then slam the brakes so I can roll it. I hate scrubbing speed through there cause flow except that damn drop is way to much fun.

Stuff on more "flat" sections (jubilee big log jump excluded) thats drops/jumps off roots I love catching a little air off of. Always good at landing just slight rear first so very smooth. Got that stuff down (not putting me or bike through anything bigger lol).

Being my accomplishments today clearing my 2 nemesis sections (proving results in weight loss and conditioning) which were huge compared to my last rides out there, and only 3 (or 4 cant remember if I stopped at a usual spot or not) breather stops. Half of my best day to date. I want to get my technical challenges sorted. Next year im racing Illiniwek and FSTR novice class and FINISHING IT (hopefully not last place).

Basically with any drop you want to pull up on the bars just before you hit the drop and then get your butt back. preferably behind the seat if you can so it doesn't kick you over the bars (especially on a full suspension bike). Pedals level and try to land on your back wheel first. Hope this helps

I'd say start with curbs--low to the ground and minimal penalty for failure.

Approach the curb in the attack position. As your front tire is nearing the edge of the curb, push the bike away from you with your hips while keeping your arms in the same position (don't jerk the front end up!). By pushing/hucking the bike away from you using your hips, the front end will naturally loft itself. This motion is very similar to initiating a wheelie. When in the drop, maintain a rearward position on the bike and drop your heels so you can absorb the impact.

Once you feel comfortable dropping a curb, you can then begin practicing on the trail--smaller roots and logs--and work your way up to the bigger stuff. The drop on Kickapoo Down needs to be taken at speed. Once you hit it right, you'll wonder why it took you so long--it's really that smooth of a transition. The "kicker" on Sugar Bottom rides more like a jump than a drop, which requires different technique. Get your drop technique down first, then you can start working on the jumping.

Practice, practice, practice.

The biggest mistake I've seen people make when learning to drop is to yank up on the front of the bike. This puts you in a horrible position for the landing and basically takes away any ability to absorb the impact and keep the rubber side down. Remember, initiate the drop using your hips and legs, not your arms and upper body. Stay light with your grip and keep your heels dropped--heavy feet, light hands. Manipulation and control of the bike all begins with the hips.

Check out Lee Likes Bikes for more info on this and other techniques - Lee Likes Bikes

*disclaimer--I give this advice because you asked for it and I know the proper technique, but that doesn't mean I have the ability to apply to the trail or equate to me being king of the trail! I make plenty of mistakes, walk an obstacle and/or crash frequently attempting, and am nowhere near being the end-all, be-all of riders in this club. Thing is, the peeps that are super gifted on the bike are just that--gifted--and they don't need to learn and practice as much as us novices do because it comes so naturally. That said, riding with peeps with mad skills goes a long way in your progression as a rider!!!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I plan to have an mtb 200 class this coming Spring for such things. hopefully we have the jump line finished by then.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

U guys r awesome, thnx. Think the pushing down with me legs part is what I'm missing, so ill work on what.

Russ please do on a weekend all the stuff being on weekdays is killing me. But count me in as I need to get better at small jumps/drops, skinnies, etc.

Thnx guys
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

All the above tips are great. One of the best things that I have ever learned about jumping and drops is to stay loose. It is a natural reaction to get stiff when coming to a new or troublesome obstacle. Personally I have found that if I concentrate mostly on keeping relaxed before the obstacle, it is easier to maneuver the bike the way I want to.