Thread: Headlight...

Default Headlight...

Now that it's getting dark earlier and earlier (sadly), I find myself riding more and more in the dark on the paved bike paths like Duck Creek. My little Bontrager Ion light is fine for being noticed, but it just doesn't light up the path in front of me well enough. Are there any headlights you recommend that might be a good option?

Thanks for any tips!
    -Springer

the brand night rider is pretty bright

Here is a rundown of my setup for trail riding, it would definitely be overkill for path riding. You could easily get away with the helmet light alone. (skip to the bottom for product details).

I run a combination of two lights: a spotlight on my helmet that throws the beam pretty far, and a floodlight on my bars that lights up the ground in my peripherals. This works well as I can light up the trail around corners by turning my head, but keeping the trail lit up directly in front of me with the bar light. If I had to choose either a bar light or a helmet mounted light, I would choose the helmet mount all day long.

I picked up a couple of Magicshine lights 2 years ago and have been very happy with them so far. Supposedly, when they first came out, some of them caught on fire when plugged into the charger. My guess is that those cases were few and far between, and they have the problem fixed by now. I've never had problems with mine getting warm let alone hot enough to catch on fire when charging. YMMV.

Helmet Light: Magicshine MJ-808. Spotlight with good throw distance and a concentrated beam. Very good price of $75 on Amazon.

Handlebar Light: Magicshine MJ-872. Floodlight that covers a wide area in close range, poor throw but that isn't the intended purpose. Steeper price than the 808 and I don't find it as useful on the trail, but a solid light for the price nonetheless.

I have used one of these on my helmet as my only light for a year and a 1/2 - very bright and good battery time.

http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Bicycl...7PK1TP8WC93DZ5

I would recommend adding the wide angle lens.
    Last edited by SpinStir; 10-03-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Looks like some good recommendations... thanks!