Thread: TKMB Day 2014: CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS.

Default TKMB Day 2014: CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS.

IMBA Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day:

When: Oct 4, 10:00am

Setup: 9 am

Where: SBP.

Plan:
    -Start at 10am getting kids ready little cruising around make sure everyone is ready
    -10:30: start skills segment. Duration obviously depends on how many kids we have
    -after: green loop ride. If older ones are craving more and we have enough volunteers second group going green/blue. Ill be taking Green loop group since my son will be on green loop only. UNLESS NOT A GOOD IDEA (speak up) IMO kids would love "cool" stuff on jubilee so either add that to Green loop ride OTHERWISE get all the kids together (using green loop access) on deck for a pic.

After trail ride snacks and drinks (bananas etc provided).

Helmets required!!!

PARENTS WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED!!!

Some helmets for kids should be available for those that dont have them, awaiting confirmation on full details and number well have.

Needed:

Volunteers for:

-Registration

-swag girl(s) make appearance? Not sure if we do that for this, but an idea cause kids love stickers! Even us big kids. If yes, contact me.

-helping teach children, supervise group ride etc. Would feel more comfortable with one or 2 members with experience in this to help me with the teaching side, still learning myself a bit yet dont want to miss critical detail.

- one or 2 ppl that can assist with getting fliers to LBS, Illinois side, and if anything to be picked up for donations. I have davenport/bettendorf/clinton covered. If you can help with this lmk asap.

Misc Details:

Need table for registration. If someone has a canopy to bring out even better, though I do have one just not sure if 10x10 is enough.

Not sure if was done last year, but number plates???? i know previous year we went to this and had them.

I can put together couple small drop/jumps (board/log) of different sizes, but cant fit a skinny of useful length in my trunk lol. Can someone throw one together or bring a 2x4 or 2x6 thats ~6ft long and ill bring my cordless drill.

If any of you have any ideas or thoughts, post up or contact me.
    Last edited by Tigris99; 09-06-2014 at 01:13 AM.

Update:

Sbp reserved for the event, so no need for tables/pop up. Thnx Aaron

Meeting had several speak up to help out. Thank you! post up if ur planning help on a particular part of the event

Drew's getting fliers and such together so well have those to pass out soon.

Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

I can help out. I can also drop off a flyer at Bike n Hike. Pray this year that it stays reasonably warm. Last year, we had beautiful, warm weather the weekend before but it turned cold and blustery for our TAKMB which I think really hurt our numbers. As far as Jubilee, I'd say wait and see the skill level of the kids who show up. Some of the stuff on Jubilee that we take for granted could have a poor outcome for kids with less developed motorskills.
    I wanna ride!

Thnx bex, as soon as we finalize fliers ill message u.

Ya I know there is a couple things that kids would need to walk, but was trying to judge off my sons skills. Well do that, play it by what we have, and use the direct access accordingly.

Board Position
    Event Coordinator / Race Director

I can help out, just let me know what you need.

I should be able to make it out with the boy and help with things.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Update:

Helmets located (limited number)

Bike and Hike coming out to do minor maintenance stuff

Drew got fliers done, thnx! Ill get a bunch made tomorrow and get them handed out to lbs'

Also, I had a fair number of 1" FORC stickers made to hand out to all kids.

Waiting on stuff from IMBA to arrive (not sure how that goes or what's coming, Drew set that up for me).

Thnx everyone for volunteering!

Board Position

Will you need release forms? I have the forms from the FORC races and can modify for this event, just let me know.

Update:

Except temps are going to cool off, weather looks promising. Seems like a tradition for this lol. But at least atm its supposed to be dry.

Everything else seems to be in order and ready to go. Hopefully we get a good turn out.

Mandy, did u get my pm? Ya we need them. Not sure what imba is sending if we got registered in time to get a kit.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

The kids helmets are in the shed and will need to be transported to the event by someone with shed access. There is also a box of paperwork which might have release forms and number plates left over from last year's event in it (I didn't look very thoroughly).

Board Position

Yes, got the waivers done and will have them printed and ready! What do you want to do for snacks? I Can pick up some bananas and maybe granola bars....I have to turn in some receipts from the FORC party anyway.
    How many people are expecting?
    What time do you want volunteers out there?

IMBA box here, number plates, kids cliff bars and balloons!

Sweet thnx Mandy. Ill txt u on all that.

As for times.

I'm going to be there 9-915 am.

Those bringing supplies: Id like to have all stuff there by 9:30ish.

Those coming to help out: setup is 9:15, event starts at 10am. So any time in between is fine.

Thnx everyone.

I happen to have access to the storage space right now. If I knew what all needed picked up I can take care of it. Just let me know what to grab.
    "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."
    -John Wayne

Well looks like tradition will hold true, temps in the 50s and breezy. At least windy day on Friday will help dry out trails if sbp happens to get too much rain today/tonight

the browns will be there. If anyone visits the shed before Sat. please grab the First Aid kit (clear plastic, white top). thanks

Reminder update:

All good to go. First aid kit has been added to shed list.

GO TO BE A BIT CHILLY to start things off. But looks to be clear, dry and a bit breezy. So make sure to dress appropriately. I'm going to try to grab a tarp to hang up on the shelter to block the breeze.

See u all out there!!! Thanks everyone!

Man, IMBA needs to consider making this a couple weeks earlier next year. Seems traditional for it to be beautiful and warm the weekend before only to turn to cr@p for the kids a week later. Weatherbug says it will be 41 but feel like 33 at our event start time of 10 AM on Saturday. See you in the morning!
    I wanna ride!

^^^. Thinking same thing, most of the country is cool or cold by this weekend. Not sure y they chose this weekend but im with u

THANKS EVERYONE! Was a great time! Thanks to everyone showing up to help, much appreciated.

Definitely going to do this a couple weeks sooner next yr so weather doesn't keep kids from coming out.