Thread: Fatbike

Default Fatbike

I am ready to join the world of fatbiking and want something versatile. Number one I want to be able to ride through the winter but additionally I want to use it some as a trail bike I was about to pull the trigger on a 2014 Mukluk 2 but was encouraged to look at look at the Farley and I also looked at the Fatboy. 2015 Trek is $300 less and Fatboy $100 more. I wanted to avoid going over 2K but what is another $100 or so in the mountain bike world. Any thoughts about these bikes.

Default Farley

I have not ridden a Mukluk, so am not sure how they ride. I have ridden the Farley and was pretty impressed with the 2014 model. At Trek, we will have a Farley 6 and a Farley 8 to demo all winter, but they won't be here until mid-September or mid-October. I do have a Trek Demo day in the works for October 19th at Sunder, time tbd, and I can verify that he will have some Farley's to demo if you'd like to try before you buy. Hope this helps :)

Thanks Z

A couple observations/pointers from a fat bike newb:

1. Offset rear wheels are going the way of the dodo. Plenty of 170mm and 190mm rear hubs are available nowadays, and manufacturers (Surly included) seem to be migrating in that direction.

2. Do you want to (or will you ever want to) run 5" tires? If so, you will need a 190mm rear hub. I've been completely satisfied with 3.8 Nates & 3.8 Knards so far. Seems like the 3.8/4" tires are better suited for trail riding, and the 170mm hubs are easier to find.

3. Rockshox Bluto suspension fork uses a 150mm front hub (instead of 135mm standard). Look for a bike that comes with a 150mm front hub or that is already Bluto equipped if you think you will ever want front suspension.

4. Personally, if I were going to buy a new fat bike right now it would look something like this: 170mm spaced rear end on a hardtail frame (steel or aluminum), don't need clearance for 5" tires. Bluto ready or equipped (150mm front hub w/ suspension corrected geo). 3x10 drivetrain converted to 2x10 with a bash guard for stomping (don't need much more than a 32-36t big ring up front on a fatty, and I use my 22t small ring a lot in the winter). BB7 mechanical brakes.

5. Fat bike don't give a shit. All that matters at the end of the day is that you have fun riding your bike...pick something and ride the wheels off of it.
    Last edited by Vittetoe761; 08-13-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: can't count numbers too good

I've got a trek Farley from the first run of 500. I love the bike, its well made, comes setup well from the factory. That being said you will have to switch out tires right away since they put knards on which are worthless for winter. it comes 2x10 but requires some small modification to the front derailer to get a bash guard on it which I'd be willing to help with. And my final thought it seams like the front fork has some front to back flex to it but I only notice it on hard braking on dry concrete or dirt trail and it could be just the wheels since I'm not used to riding fat bikes on dry pavement. Overall normal high quality, well engineered bike from trek. Oh and I almost forgot it rips though the corners on dry trail.

Thanks for the info!

I've got an older Mukluk, bought it off this forum a few years back. Dang thing cost me an arm & a leg, and it was worth it.
    It has a nice, stable geometry for plowing through everything off-trail, riding skinnies, slime, ice, etc. It is a wheelie machine.
    Vitt put down some good reasoning info; and don't think you'd regret a Muk one bit, or any fattie. The newer Muks with those Alternator dropouts are enticing -- supposedly you can slide 'em back for long, stable trash-riding, or slide 'em forward for shorter wheelbase manuevers on tight twisty singletrack.
    Built a 9zero7 this winter, because at the time you could not put a Rohloff on a 170mm bike (Mukluk). Now you can dammit.
    ?

Well....Vitt's info helped and I went for the Mukluk 2. Looked like I could not get Farley until October anyway and like any kid or mountain biker, I could not wait that long. Mukluk is ordered! Can't wait!

Welcome to the ranks my friend!!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Fat Bikes are dumb, cancel that order pronto!

There are 170mm IGHs now?! NEED!!! NEED NOW!!

Steve speaks wisely -- fat bikes are dumb.
    http://www.rohloff.de/de/news/news_r...ate/index.html
    ?

fat bike, always a good choice no matter what brand. oh and tell your liver that you are sorry now...

NICE:) can't wait to ride with ya again its more than a blast nice choice on the fatty....