Thread: Taming of the Slough 2014 - Volunteers Needed!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Default Taming of the Slough 2014 - Volunteers Needed!

The 2014 Taming of the Slough is a little over a month away and we are starting to make preparations to help River Action with the MTB portion of the event. If you would like to volunteer, post in this thread what you are available to do and register on the official web site: Taming Volunteer Sign Up

Taming Tune Up practice sessions [Thursday Aug. 21st & 28th and Sept. 4th @ 5:30 pm]:
    We need volunteers to meet at Illiniwek to help with:
    • Marking off the course (same as last year) (5:00-5:30 pm)
    • Helping people with bike setup/repair/riding tips and maybe leading a couple of group rides (5:30-7:00 pm)
    • Tearing down the course (7:00-7:30 pm)

The main event [Saturday September 13th]:
    Meet at Illiniwek in the trailhead parking lot.
    • Course setup (7:00-7:30 am)
    • Course marshals (8:00-11:00 am)
    • Tear down (11:00-11:30 am)
    • FREE pizza and beer for volunteers at Empire Park after the event!

You will also receive a free T-shirt if you volunteer so post what size you would like.

I suspect there will be a lot of people who won't be able to make it to the last two Tune Up sessions because of the Copper Harbor trip. If you are available during this time let me know so I can get you some caution tape for marking the course.
    Last edited by DH001; 08-01-2014 at 12:19 PM.

the browns will be available on race day, and the first (8/21) practice but not the other 2. we will be giving our legs, lungs and liver a workout in the UP.

I saw no spot to give t-shirt size on the volunteer form, M for MP, XL for me.
    Last edited by dirtboy; 08-01-2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: it was wrong, duh

Board Position

Just a heads up, the first Taming Tune Up session is this Thursday [8/21] at 5:30.

So far, it looks like the Browns and myself will be there. Could use 2-3 more people to help out. We will start setting up the course at 5:00 sharp.

I should be able to make one or two of these :-).
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Earliest I could get there straight from work is 5:40. I'll be out then and can help with maintenance, etc. (I'll bring my hammer).
    I wanna ride!

the browns will be there 8/21, but we may be closer to 5:30.

Board Position

Bexter & Browns, anytime you can get there will work fine. JB and I can handle course setup which only involves taping off a few intersections. I don't think there is much if any maintenance needed at this point. Dry weather for the most part has kept the weeds at bay.

I'm there!
    Pedal, Paddle, Beer
    Recipe for Success

Shef

563-343-5412

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter.com/TheShef

Board Position

Thanks everyone for coming out today and standing in the rain! Not much of a turnout because of the dreary weather unfortunately.

I won't be here for the next two practice sessions and am looking for a couple of people to take the lead on setting up the course on Aug. 28th and Sept. 4th. Let me know if you are up for it and I will get you the course marking supplies.

Board Position

We are starting course setup on Saturday morning at 7:00 am meeting at the trailhead parking lot.

Setup won't take very long with 5-6 people. We need to place stakes and tape the entrance/exit of the course in the lower field area and tape key intersections on the trails.

The course this year is the same as in 2013. Map here

If we get rained out I will post updates about plan B.

Board Position

Default TOTS MTB Alternate Course Plans

The forecast is starting to favor more rain for Friday than previously expected. If we get significant rain Friday and the trails are closed Saturday, the MTB section of the Taming of The Slough will be changed to an out-and-back ride to Rapids City along the Great River Trail. Not ideal, but with an event this complex rescheduling would be a nightmare. Course marshal volunteers will be positioned at intersections along the trail to guide and ensure participant safety from traffic. Below is an overview of "course marshal plan B" in case this happens.

Volunteer Station Overviews:

Detailed Volunteer Station Views:

Click here to download the .kmz (google earth) file of the 2014 TOTS MTB alt. course with volunteer stations.

Would everyone who is volunteering please pick one of these positions (1-10) and post up so I can double check we have enough people to fill them? Pick the positions with an asterisk * first since they are the most critical. Thanks!
    Last edited by DH001; 09-12-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Mislabeled station #2 as 7th St. instead of 9th St.

Deb and I will do the Rapid City- Schuler Park- turn around point.
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Mielkes will do Station 4
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

the browns can man station 1 & 2. That way I can ride sweep after the last racer gets on the course. I would suggest marshals bring some tools if they have them, to assist riders with problems. It's a long walk back, and since this isn't a 'sanctioned' race we can offer assistance. Suggest in addition to what we usually carry, you bring SAE (non metric) stuff, schrader valve pumps, pliers and crescent wrenches. A lot of these bikes will not be set up with T25 hardware ;). I will have tools and 2 first aid kits, one on my back and another we could put at a station towards Rapid City. I would hope a path ride would be less dangerous but you never know. I will have radios but they may not work over these distances so bring your cell phone and get my # if you don't already have it. We may be able to work a radio relay if feasible. If we do change to plan B meet at Empire park about 7:30 to get your radio & vest. Am I forgetting anything?

Board Position

Good advise Dave. Do you have the neon vests?

The next two most critical areas are stations 8 and 9. Who wants those?

The vests and the first aid box are in the trailer. Steve-O will bring them 7ish tomorrow morning.

I'll take station 9. Dave, you forgot beer.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Board Position
    President

I'll take 8
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Board Position

Until further notice, we are assuming participants will be racing on dirt tomorrow and meeting at the IFP trailhead at 7am for course setup.

There is a still a chance the MTB leg of the TOTS will be held on singletrack trails tomorrow. I checked the trails around 7:30pm today and most were dry enough trail damage from bike traffic would not be an issue at that time. There are still 12 hours of drying time available and I will be checking the trails first thing in the morning and conferring with the ranger. Ultimately it is his decision. We should know by 7:00 am Sat. and will post the decision soon after.

I just wanted to send a big sloppy kiss of thanks to all the volunteers that helped with the Taming of the Slough. Especially the die hard FORCERS that stood in the woods to cheer the riders on and keep them safe. Great job Anna & Eric at the first aid tent. AM and crew, AG thanks for helping pick up the pieces at the dreaded station 8 yard sale. The trails were in great shape and I heard more 'Thank You's' from the riders than usual. Really appreciate all of you giving up some time to volunteer.

Thanks to the volunteers. I had a blast and the trails were fast fast fast.

I agree, THANK YOU to all the volunteers and for the hoots and hollers from everyone on the trails! The trails were in immaculate shape- and that is because all of the hard work that Drew and the crew put into them. SO glad it wasn't a road course!

Also, a big thanks to Nate Scott for all the hard work you put into the Taming. Super event that I'm glad I could participate in. You did FORC proud!

Cheers!
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes