Thread: Trail directions

Default Trail directions

When you get to the the point that the trails cross on North Loop should you go straight through or turn Right? Any plans to put up direction arrows out there.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Assuming you are down by the overlook stairway after crossing the three bridges:
    Taking a right is the shorter climb and the one I usually ride. You can go either way here and still get to the same place up top. I try to avoid riding up the trail that goes beneath the overlook (the straight/left option) during peak riding hours since it has more blind corners and is a fast downhill. This intersection should have a flex post with direction arrows unless someone pulled it out.

Assuming you are at the top of the hill at the 4-way intersection:
    I typically ride the upper north loop in a CCW direction but either way is good. There is a map with a "you are here" indicator at that intersection but no flex post with arrows.

We really do need directional arrows! The trail system has become so popular that it's some what dangerous. Maybe we do clock wise Monday - Wednesday and counter clock wise the rest of the week.
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

I've seen places that ride clockwise on even days and ccw on odd days...seems like the best way to mix it up evenly, but its hard to rely on people knowing the date on the fly.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I'll bring it up next time I talk with the ranger to see if we can find a solution that will work. Have had a few close calls lately even when being hyper alert.

Another option is bells. Some high traffic trails in CA use bear bells that mount with Velcro to the handlebars to alert other users. I might give one a try and see if it is tolerable.
    Last edited by DH001; 07-11-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Maybe hanging some blue moon bottles on handle bars might alert other riders. Thanks for the replies

Last edited by Brewsterb57; 07-12-2014 at 04:04 PM.