Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone doing 1x

Default Anyone doing 1x

Besides the demigods riding ss, anyone running 1x? If so what do u think if it on our trails?

I trying 1x NW set up myself and wondering if im the only one.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

Got setup with 1x 32 NW with 11-36 last week, only have a couple rides on it at
    IFP and SP, so far I like it, works really well, no drops. Might get the 42t One Up make
    life easier going up steep stuff? But, so far, so good, I like it.

Well im actually planning wt 40t, dropping my 11t off my new slx cassette, 12t lockring. Never touch 13 or 11 so ditching 11 is easier for me. Too many shiftig issues on 42t on Shimano rds (from all my reading) and I hate screwy shifting

Sounds legit! Interested in how the 40t works out, might go that route too.

If you are ditching the 11t cog then why not just go with a 30t front ring (raceface) and keep the standard 11-36 cassette? I haven't done the math on the gear ratios, but I think they would be similar...plus it would be way less expensive

I've been 1x on all my bikes for the last ~2 years.

30t 11-36 on the fattie, NW raceface ring with sram type 2 RD

34t Wolftooth dropstop ring up front and 11-36 on the Niner hardtail racer. Sram type 2 RD

30t 10-42 sram XO1 on the PunkAss

Narrow/wide coupled with a clutch RD and proper chain length and you'll rarely drop a chain.

Haven't wished for more gears on both the top and bottom ends of any of my drivetrains.

Front derailleurs are dead to me.

Silent bike, less maintenance, and less weight / components to be worries about.

1-by for the mutha f'n win
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Lol, vitt I have a 30t race face NW already. I ran the Sheldon calc new cassette that's coming is 11-36, the 40t though pricey, gets me with low end my big butt needs still (illinewek is still kicking my ass).

I'll be running no 40t for a bit though so its not concrete just the plan. Am finding i do better using the right mix of power and spinning, lower rpm on the pedals, more strength behind it.

Thnx guys, never noticed 1x but u guys do it. And yes so far just riding around my house with 30t and 11-34 im liking 1x, just feels right. Bike looks cleaner without the extra stuff too.

I'm in the middle of switching to 1x10. 32t North Shore Billet NW and 11-36 SLX/XT set up. Should be good. I'll race on it.

I've been running 1x on my hardtail since 2010. I've never had a problem locally with a 32t up front. I have since switched to the RF N/W 34t with XT 10 speed clutch der & 11-38 XT cassette and it seems to be fine so far on our local trails. First trip through LT this year had me walking one steep section, but haven't had a problem since.

I've had the fatty set up 30t for a few months now and it's been great on the local trails. Not sure if I'll miss the 22t up front in the Winter, but time will tell.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    I have since switched to the RF N/W 34t with XT 10 speed clutch der & 11-38 XT cassette and it seems to be fine so far on our local trails.
    Shimano makes a cassette with a 38t cog? I need to get me one of those!

I machined it myself!

You're right, it's an 11-36
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    I machined it myself!

You're right, it's an 11-36
    That's the coolest thing I've heard so far today! On a mill?

Speaking of 1x. SRAM released info on a reasonably priced 1x11... just as I swapped mine over. Ugh.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/05/02/...-price-levels/
    Last edited by jJohnson; 05-02-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Reasonably priced is a relative term...I still have a hard time justifying $300 for a cassette and $200 for a RD.

Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    Reasonably priced is a relative term...I still have a hard time justifying $300 for a cassette and $200 for a RD.
    It's still expensive, but $400 less than XX1 or $300 less than X01. About the same price as a complete XT kit.

I'll stick with my slx thank u lol. Hell new cassette I got for $45 shipped . And the hg-81 not the oe hg-62 heavy ass version I've been running.

So thinking that 40t gonna come in handy. I live on a hill so gave this a go on it, anything longer im gonna be needing a lower gear still. Damn gut needs to come off lol.

Feels like I dropped a couple pounds from my bike by going 1x10 with a much lighter cassette. I didn't weight beforehand, though.

Ya I saved some noticeable weight but I didn't weigh either. Bein 265lbs a pound on the bike means little though lol. Need to finish getting to ~230

Omg jj im with u, 1x for the mother f$*$&#*in win!!!!!

Hit scocopa since I had GPS times from last ride 2weeks ago. Didn't miss my granny except one spot I accidently scrubbed to much speed in tarmac. Set a new person record again by .3 mph on north loop that included stopping twice to talk lol.

Anything but 1x...never again.

40t conversion....dunno yet time to hit sbp and ifp over the next couple weeks to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    Omg jj im with u, 1x for the mother f$*$&#*in win!!!!!

Hit scocopa since I had GPS times from last ride 2weeks ago. Didn't miss my granny except one spot I accidently scrubbed to much speed in tarmac. Set a new person record again by .3 mph on north loop that included stopping twice to talk lol.

Anything but 1x...never again.

40t conversion....dunno yet time to hit sbp and ifp over the next couple weeks to know for sure.

I missed my 44t at Matthiessen, but not my 24t.

44t damn lol. 32 was max for me and never went below about 6th on the trails. My 44t came off before the crankset even went on

Aight did a tour de forc today, hit wbp -> sbp -> finished with illiniwek.

Have been trying to figure out this whole spinning over power when pedaling thing. Worked on old set up, tried to make it work on 1x. Found that was a bad idea sbp was harsh got a slower time than last year by alot. Got to ifp and decided to slow my spinning and put more power down instead. So much better. Made the south long route climb with little issue. I actually was faster there than sbp by .5mph.

Summary, yet to find a need for the 40 or 42 conversion. Sbp I had too spots I had to walk cause legs were wore out from spinning. But hell at ifp I only touched the 36t a couple times going up (couple of the corners). Hard pressed to see a need for such things on our trails but too I dont ride the black sections.

You're thinking too much, just go ride your bike and replace crap when it breaks. Unless you are planning on racing expert next year lap times mean nothing. The real question is: Did you have FUN on today's ride?

Ya I over analyze sometimes lol but hell ya I had fun.