Thread: One way?

Default One way?

Rode Sunderbruch today and had somebody tell me I was going the wrong way on Rock Cut. As far as I know the only one-way trails are LT, Jubilee, Kickapoo (up and down) and Blue Mounds. I have been riding here for years and never heard this so I am asking for some clarification. If I am in the wrong I will change my behavior, but the signage indicates 2-way on the main loops.

Rock Cut is a two-way trail.

The "preferred" or most often direction the trail is ridden is counter-clockwise but there's no official direction, one way or the other.

If you wish to ride the trail clockwise, use caution when you're headed uphill--downhill for the counter-clockwise riders <-- these riders should yield to the uphill riders, but habits are hard to break.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I always respect the riders and get off the trail for anybody going uphill. I was just surprised on my first ride of the year I had to have somebody tell me I was wrong.

Without knowing where exactly the other party was coming from, it's hard to say what intentions were.

Just know the majority of riders will ride Rock Cut counterclockwise so it may be possible that may have been the intent as opposed to "you're doing it wrong."

Glad you're out enjoying the trails!
    Last edited by jimithng23; 04-06-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

When in doubt, call out.

I've only ridden Sunder a couple of times and I didn't realize some of the trails were directional. Can anyone tell me which trails are one-ways and in which direction they are suppose to be ridden? Are each of the trails marked on the signs if they are one-way?

One way trails: Kickapoo Up, Kickapoo Down, LT, Jubilee, Palos, and Blue Mound.

The one-way trails should be ridden counterclockwise. There are "DO NOT ENTER" signs at the exit of one way trails.

The majority of riders will be riding all of the trails in the counterclockwise direction. Feel free to ride the two-way trails clockwise, but be aware that you are very likely to encounter oncoming traffic.

Thanks!

I've always heard from the peeps keep going right at SBP. As a fan of NASCAR I wanna go left. Now y'all are confusing me with clockwise and counterclockwise. I'd say keep your head up and your eyes on the trail and you'll be all right.

I forgot something....if you're getting butt hurt about someone riding 'the wrong way' on a trail please get over it. We all were intimidated and confused by the wooded trails at one point. We all deal with A-holes in our normal lives, don't be an A-hole to someone on the trails where we're all supposed to be having fun.

I believe it was myself who met them on that trail. Neither of us were unfriendly, all exchanged names and greetings. I was also going to post here to clarify and now I know. I have seem the do not enter signs on trail exits at Sunder, but had not noticed the lack of do not enter on the trails, never really looked for them. Somewhere I picked up from someone or some post that Sunder was directional. My mistake and apologies. In actuality we met up again at the top of Rock Cut as I was checking out the lack of an enter or exit sign. No harm done and looking forward to riding what was "in reverse" for me next trip to SDP.

It's all good

And all this time I thought the proper etiquette was to yell "STRAVA!!!" at anybody coming at you and carry on

Impressive thread. Every MTBer encounter should be so well handled. Well done by all!

And if you ever here someone hollering "Rider Up" at every single blind turn, that'd be me! I have no desire to have the profile of your face implanted on my chest.

Finally, might I suggest that when encountering a hiker, you slow way down, smile say hi...have a great day...something. Remember hikers have the right of way and we probably scare the crap out of them.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Tagging onto an old thread because it relates...
    The last few times at Sunderbruch I noticed hikers/walkers on Kickapoo Down. Signage at the entrance and exit are good. I am wondering if the small meeting point of both trails (the bank right turn after the drop on Kickapoo Down) is an entry point and needs signage?. Maybe something like a painted parking curb through the gap would work? I am thinking out loud, as I imagine this has already been thought about (I just could not find it searching the Sunderbruch forum).

I ran into that problem last time i was out there. Thankfully not in a blind spot because I was pushing to see how fast I could clear kickdown. Only time I had ever seen anyone on that trail coming the wrong way. Thankfully they were cool cause I scared the hell outta them and me (trying to stop fast without eating it or hitting them).

I have ran across riders coming down kick up when I'm coming up more than once. Line of sight is better on up so not so much of a problem except when the pass has to be done on one of the decks.

I like that hikers/runner prefer opposite direction from riders except kick down. Runners especially like their headphones. The runners going trail direction never seem to be happy when you seemingly sneak up behind them because no matter how much you hollar they cant hear you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is something I have been thinking about a lot recently. I see walkers on Kickapoo Down all the time. Nearly every time I am out there, I see someone on the trail other a bike rider going down. I was thinking of signage at the same spot on the trails where they meet by the banked corner. Some thing along the lines of "DO NOT CROSS TRAILS" or "STAY ON YOUR TRAIL" and also at the top and bottom of the trails put additional signs that say something like "BIKE DOWN ONLY - HIKERS USE KICKAPOO UP" and "DO NOT ENTER". It seems enough people don't want to stop and actually read the signs so if we did additional signs that can be read clearly while walking/jogging, it may solve some of our problems. It might not be the most aesthetically pleasing thing to see these extra signs out in the woods, but I think it's worth it due to the danger walking on Kickapoo Down causes. I'll bring this up at the next meeting. Thanks for posting up about it.
    Tourist