Thread: Tire Question

Default Tire Question

Following a bent wheel that is "beyond repair", I decided to upgrade my wheel set and convert to Tubeless for my 29er.

I have been looking around to decide what tires would be good for my new setup. I currently run a pair of Kenda Small Block Eights. I was thinking on going to a split setup with Specialized Fast Trak in the rear and Specialized Ground Control in the front.

Anyone have thoughts with this type of setup (fast efficient rear tire with a more agresssive all XC trail front tire).

Board Position
    President

I dig the karmas front and rear.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Tires are all about personal preference and what you feel gives you the most confidence with the conditions you're riding in.

That said, I've tried the aggressive front/fast rear setup and really liked it. Over the years, I've gravitated to the Maxxis IKON as my go-to tire on my hardtail 29er for the trails in our area--great traction in most conditions and super fast.

Early spring/late fall, when the trails are a bit softer, I swap out for a burlier set of wheels wrapped with Maxxis Ardent 2.4s. The Ardents are more aggressive and have great traction on our area's trails.

I've not experience with any Spesh tires but I have heard/read great things about the combo you are considering.

Just know this--there are a TON of great tires on the market and you can go crazy, if you're able and willing, to find the combo that suits you best depending on your level of OCD. I think the Ground Control/Fast Trak is a great starting point!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

I'll toss the Bontrager name in here and suggest a XR2 or XR3 up front and a 2 in the back, maybe even a 1. I love my 2.35 XR2 up front an 2.2" on the back. Sets up tubeless really well too. Also throw in a 30-day unconditional satisfaction guarantee, and it's hard to beat. Any Trek dealer worth his salt should be able to hook you up.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Thanks for the input and advice.

X2 on AGs input, only cause that's exactly what im riding, long store how that came to be. I will advise that route 2.2 front 1.9 rear. 2.2 rear is rough, comfy ride but rolling resistance over a 1.9 is very noticeable.

As for the spec. Tires, im actually considering the exact same spec or just fasttraks throughout. Gotta get to HH and see tires in hand and see.

Bontrager, don't know tubless setup (everywhere I read says some of the easiest tires to set up tubeless) yet but xr1 rear and xr2 or 3 front imo there. Xr1 is fast but traction where it counts, sides. Wouldn't make a good front though.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

Lee i ran a Fast Track on the rear last year and wasn't happy with the traction it provided. Yes it was fast, but it's a better hard pack racer than a general purpose rider. I would recommend the Specialized Captain on the rear for more general riding.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Lee the tire I told you about at the mtg is a X King. This tire is really nice for around here. It handles great at Sunderbruch whether you're on the top side hard pack or climbing out of the creek bed. And then you can take it to Sylvan just fine. I haven't ridden it for very long before the weather went crappy so I don't know about longevity. I also haven't tried it on the front, but it is an awesome back tire. I think it would perform well as a front tire also. I rode this on the big Dee's Enchanted stomp a couple weeks ago and had little problem with traction.

I like the slanted side knobs on tires cause they give a very predictable corner slide.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I think I like schwalbe. But I am considering something different, it has to be tubeless. That I do know.

Thanks all for the thoughts and suggestions. I ended up going with 29x1.9 Ground Control for the rear and 29x2.2 The Captain for the front.

Now just have to get them mounted up and wait for an opportunity to test out the setup.