Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nashbar has a fat bike for $1k. Thoughts?

Default Nashbar has a fat bike for $1k. Thoughts?

$800 fat bike. It's getting competitive

http://www.the-house.com/qfrmin117bb...med-bikes.html

I went with the MotoBacon FB4 Comp for $700 back in October and have been putting it to the test ever since. I upgraded the drivetrain with some parts I had sitting around, ditched the Vee Missions for Nates, and added a bashguard which has turned it into a solid bike for under $1k. My guess is that you will want to make all of those changes and maybe more (except the drivetrain?) to the Nashbar bike which will put you around $1200.

My biggest issue with the Moto is the wheels. The rims are Weinmann double walled rims which have been a huge PIA to get set up tubeless, especially when compared to the Surly Darryls. I just had my 2nd tubeless blowout on the front wheel while riding SBP on Sunday which was less than ideal. I would assume that the rims on the Nashbar bike are also some variation of Weinmanns, so beware if you want to set it up tubeless...if you plan on running tubes (pinch flats and thorns suck) then they are not an issue.

They are great deal to get you started fat biking for cheap, but they are definitely a lower quality bike than the Surly, Salsa, etc. Anyways...that's my 2 cents on the budget fatties. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

I'm liking it personally, though don't think anyone here can really give much info as don't think anyone here rides one. Yet... I know we touched on these and other new, coming soon fattys a while back.

I'm actually spending a great deal of time and effort as im trying to decide on a fatty. I have a hard time spending $2k on a bike that's not even exactly what I want. spending $900 on a frame alone to me is insane. However im considering and researching all options. And these, both bd and framed fattys, are near the top, cause that price for what u get is much more affordable.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

The only thing I have to say about this, that I repeat and live by myself, is

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

Obviously this just doesn't work if you really want a different brand of bike that a LBS can't get...

But you always get what you paid for, that's the bottom line.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

that Framed Minnesota 1.0 is a solid build for $799... $200 more for the Nashbar and only worthwhile difference I see is steel frame and brakes.

Personally, I prefer steel and I would go for the Avid BB5s over the Hayes mech brakes. Getting up into the $999 price point and I have a tough time recommending the NBar bike over a used Surly, Salsa, or other "big" brand you could find on craigslist or Midwest Velo Swap. Good deals on pre-owned fatties don't come around often, but they're out there.

That said... the Sram X5 drivetrain on the MN 1.0 is reliable and durable, Avid BB5's are a good solid mechanical brake, and the rest of the package is rounded out nicely for the $. The tires are garbage, in my opinion, but it all comes down to how and where you'll ride the bike. Gonna stick to mostly hardpack trail or pavement? Then the V Mission may fit the bill. Gonna go out and STOMP and bushwhack?? You're gonna want to get a better tire.

What's a new Pugs cost with a 2x drivetrain and Nate's? Looks like $1750 retail on REI.com and I know Phil & Steve at Bike n Hike have been known to give a deal.

All in all, solid package for the $.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    ...SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

Obviously this just doesn't work if you really want a different brand of bike that a LBS can't get...
    I agree.

However, prices on Pugs, Muks, and others at the LBS don't work for everybody either. That's where these "budget" fatties come in. I really don't think they're taking any business away from the LBS as most riders considering these fatties likely weren't LBS buyers in the first place.

Sure, these bikes aren't the same quality but I'm sure the buyers know that and are willing to take that chance at this price point.

But let me be clear...if someone is considering the NBar bike at $999, I have a really hard time saying "buy it" as opposed to saying "save *just a bit more* and get a Pugs/Muk or whatever from the LBS because it truly is worth the extra $."

Also, it isn't crazy to consider that the point could be made in which these "budget fatties" end up helping the LBS with additional service when they break down, replacing and upgrading parts, or possibly upgrading the bike altogether down the road!

I really don't think the LBS stands to lose out on much business because these budget fatties are popping up; just look at all the Bike n Hike & Healthy Habits (amongst other LBS's) fatties in the QCA currently...it's crazy! As of now, I only know of the MotoBacon as the lone "el cheapo" that's out there.....

"You get what you pay for..."

I sure wished to hell someone had told me that before I bought Lucy, The $5 Hook. Since then, I've spent thousands getting my parts back in order.

I suppose, to some degree, that principle and this lesson apply in all cases.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Now see the support ur lbs thing I go both ways on. A fatty isn't something I see myself riding the hell outta year round. My 29er is my baby. So dropping 2k for a bike im not sure is going to see enough use to justify itself is difficult. Especially on my limited budget. But point being made that i needs parts, upgrade say tires or whatever, then we have 2 lbs that know fattys well that I can trust to point me the right parts while not raping my wallet in the process. My 29er was only 600 new but I have spent that much in upgrades via the same lbs I bought the bike from. Plus gear etc. Not to mention prior to that bike purchase you all saw my 26" fs WALMART BIKE my first season riding. Spent some money on forks for it, and smaller gear purchases via lbs. And he was friendly and happy to help. Thus everything I've spent with the 29er and such through him now because of not looking down on me over mt first bike is pushing 2k alone. Far more than I spent online. Not much cash to many but to me its alot cause my truck cost just over half that.

So saying someone looking at budget bike isn't an lbs customer type person is insanely far from the truth. Some just can't justify/afford the expense to start something they aren't sure is going give the rewards. However when it proves worth it then the budget bike is still worth a fair amount for cash as a down on something good. Plus lbs make more margin on parts and labor over bikes anyway lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    ...saying someone looking at budget bike isn't an lbs customer type person is insanely far from the truth. Some just can't justify/afford the expense to start something they aren't sure is going give the rewards.
    sorry, that's what I was trying to get at myself!

My bad, should have referred my agreement to your statement. But figured my experiences would be helpful in detail since seems some here may not agree with budget methods over lbs only. Don't want anyone shying away from the fun to be had in this club cause they didn't buy from lbs, so now they'll understand its ok, just show what support u can.

Tigris, ride a fatty and then tell me you wont ride the shit out of it...

I look at it this way, if you don't care about a warranty and know how to work on your own bike then it would be a good purchase. However if you don't have the tools or knowledge then the $75 an hour that a bike shop charges adds up to a pugs real quick.

I'm not saying it won't happen just the whole being cautious with my money. And a thing for orange 😤

Why don't you rent or demo a few bikes to see of you like it and then decide. You may want to make an investment on the one you like best. They do have financing available at bike n hike to make it easier to budget. Instead of dropping 800 or 1000. Pugs retails for 17ish you could just make payments of like 150 a month. I think that they got some 9 zero 7 bikes now too. Good luck bro, hope to see you fat soon

Nice info, good pitch to get me to venture over there ;p. Financing option has me thinking even more lol. I have some time to ponder all this as plan is to buy fatty come fall, have a couple other bike based things to buy first. Thnx though ill head over that way soon with my winter gear so I can Demo in the snow.

I don't think anybody on this thread can say they have bought all their bikes and bike parts from their local LBS. Nothing wrong with shopping around and finding the price that suits your budget best.

JB
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

New wal-gooses in testing up in Madison. ~$300

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/new...l#post10981393

Geo

ETA 2/23
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 02-05-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    New wal-gooses in testing up in Madison. ~$300

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/new...l#post10981393

Geo

ETA 2/23
    Having worked on a few original Geese... it's bound to be a complete waste of $300.

20 inch fatbike sounds like a blast, I don't care who makes it, I'd buy one today!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    Don't want anyone shying away from the fun to be had in this club cause they didn't buy from lbs, so now they'll understand its ok, just show what support u can.
    Its your money and how you decide to spend it is a very private matter, not to be judged by others.
    Since your question was about low-budget fatties:
    I did a TON of research before Christmas for getting the wife a fat bike.
    Motobecane was a contender, Vittetoe is abusing one now and its holding up as fine as any other fattie.
    The new Minnesota FRAMED fattie looks promising, a small MN business looking to compete w/the Corporate Big Brand Name fatties, and has decent build list w/extra wheelset for the cost.
    I think I recall reading that the Norco Bigfoot weighs in at 42 lbs (hefty even by fattie standards), but unsure if that is true cuz I read it on the 'net.
    The OnOne had potential, but looked to be bit higher price at that time.
    Key Point -- pretty much all of us that own Corporate Big Brand Name fatties in the area has had some issues while on rides. Crank arms falling off, freehubs seizing, chainring spiders breaking, numerous rear derailleur issues (usually damage, not breakage), bent bars, bent seatposts, shifter/brake lever breakage, etc. Even expensive bikes have expensive "high end" components fail. The only Corporate Big Brand Name that I am aware of that has had frame & fork issues is Surly, there may be others.
    Good luck. No matter where you decide to spend your money, riding a fattie will make you smile.

My apologies for adding my thoughts about buying a bike, I didn't think it would turn into such a sore subject.

Buy whatever you want, I will continue to spend my money locally for quality service and products. That in no way means I will look down on someone for their actions.

The most efficient and quick way I have found to learn a lesson, is to not take advice and to learn it the hard way. To each his own.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

No sore subject man, if I came out like that I apologize. The debate over brand name vs budget to me is a bit amusing so when it comes up I just like to put my experiences in there since I was a WalMart bike rider my first season.

The downside on a forum discussion, sometimes hard to tell if someone is actually bothered or not, if its me, never bothered by anyone in this club, you all are way to much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    My apologies for adding my thoughts about buying a bike, I didn't think it would turn into such a sore subject.

Buy whatever you want, I will continue to spend my money locally for quality service and products. That in no way means I will look down on someone for their actions.

The most efficient and quick way I have found to learn a lesson, is to not take advice and to learn it the hard way. To each his own.
    Hey I just wanted to take a minute to think a friend for his advice. Back in October November of last year I decided that I wanted to try a fat bike. So I posted up on this website and asked for advice from everybody on what they thought was the best route to go and a few people in particular really helped me out. I decided to go with the Pugsley made by surly and I bought it from my friend Phil Maess at bike n hike in rock island. It was probably the single most greatest thing that I've ever done. I just didn't know it yet. So far my bike has been through snow mud water and now indoors pretty much every type of terrain that I could throw at it. FORCers, I am in love with my Pugsley. So if you get itchy feeling and you're wondering if you should buy a fat bike don't ask any questions just go out and buy one and jump on it and start riding you'll be really happy that you did. Oh and one more thing, make sure you support your local bike shops! Thank you Bad Fish for your advice it is great advice, please at least give them a shot!

For those that want to shop local, but can't justify/afford a Pugsley/Mukluk/Kona/Whatever... KHS has a $1300 fat bike that drops in the next couple of weeks called the Four Season 1000 (http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2014-kh...4-season-1000/). Throw some Nates on it and you should be golden for winter riding.

Ignore the picture, other than color, because I think they fudged that up... it's not pictured with the correct component package.

Damn had my interest peaked till the colors, damn it. What's the component spec? Since pic is wrong