Thread: Slough frozen???

Default Slough frozen???

has anyone been by Sylvan lately, or better yet been to the island via a frozen slough?
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Good question! From the past cold weather we have had and looking ahead at the 7 day forecast (4 for the high on Monday and -3 high on Tuesday) if it doesn't freeze over enough to get over there, it may never. Talk that there is too much current has me weary, as I don't mind falling through still water, but falling through water with current will give you the dead.

If anyone has a chance to drive over and check it out, please let us know! I'd be beyond thrilled to ride the Island again!!

Thanks.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

We could probably rig up some sort of safety device that we could wear on our way across...maybe a rope and a couple life jackets. You're right though...no one wants a case of the dead.

Good call. And or get some kind of inflatable raft or snow tube and slowly get across and check the ice depth as you go. Once one guy get across successfully, it should be good for the others. Question is, who wants to be the first one?

Let's just see if it is frozen at all the entire way and we can plan something from there.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

the thought of riding the Island again makes me happy.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I might ride down tonight and check it out. I probably could have ridden across the Rock River yesterday, but the snow was too deep. There were snowmobiles flying up and down it near Steel Dam.

Didn't quite make it down there. Catastrophic flat tire at the bottom of 10th St.

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    Question is, who wants to be the first one?
    I'm your Huckleberry.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Rode past there yesterday, and I must say, I was pretty surprised at how quickly I said to myself: "there's no way in hell I'm riding across that".

Big tall glass of NOPE.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    Rode past there yesterday, and I must say, I was pretty surprised at how quickly I said to myself: "there's no way in hell I'm riding across that".

Big tall glass of NOPE.
    I am so happy to hear this. I was worried that you guys might try riding across the ice. The power dam creates a hellacious undertow. We used to fish via boat by the power dam and you could see the water actively churning. Even West of the closed foot bridge where it is more shallow, I bet the current is still wicked enough to be problematic not even taking into consideration hypothermia concerns.

Please be safe my friends. I want to ride singletrack and drink beer with you ALL -- gingers, non-gingers, baldies, etc. and the only sadness I want to feel surrounding Sylvan Island is the mere memory of a closed bridge. You guys rock and I want you around for years!
    I wanna ride!

Can Illinois scrape together funds for one of these?

Or (pic is too big to post just click the link):

http://www.rare.org/blog/wp-content/...2011_015_0.jpg

They couldn't afford the liability insurance for either of those. Haha.