Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tubless Fatbike

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    When putting tape over the center holes do you do it sticky side down so all the holes have the sticky side showing on the outside or do you flip that strip over so nothing is sticky on outside of the wheel?
    Leave the standard rim tape in place and lay the tape sticky side down over that. The rim strip will still show through your holes rather than the sticky side of the tape.

Good luck!
    Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Board Position
    President

My turn.

Stick side up. Old strip in the trash. 2" wide gorilla tape, one stripe on each side.

Or stop by. Be glad to help out. Working on bikes with pals is fun.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    Stick side up. Old strip in the trash. 2" wide gorilla tape, one stripe on each side.
    Huh, no kidding? So if the sticky side is up, how does it stay in position? Does it then stick to the tire bead? If so, how does the tire bead slide up to the rim bed/hook when you seat it?

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Huh, no kidding? So if the sticky side is up, how does it stay in position? Does it then stick to the tire bead? If so, how does the tire bead slide up to the rim bed/hook when you seat it?

Rg.
    I think what he is saying is sticky side up for covering the holes and sticky side down on either side to stick the center tape down.

Bingo.

Ah yes, that makes sense.

I like my rim strip, so it stays put. One 2" down the middle sealing both sides of the rim strip; a 2" strip on one side, edge up against the rim; a 1" strip on the other side with one edge against the rim and the other overlapping the 2nd piece.

Prolly a dozen ways to get'er done, that one worked for me.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

When we drilled my wheels out at AG's, I put my shiny duct tape for color over the holes with the sticky side up, then tape with Gorilla tape like usual, and added my rim strip on top of that for added protection. Who knows if it really does anything, but it makes me feel better. Before my wheels were drilled out I just left my stock rim strip in and Gorilla taped over that.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    When we drilled my wheels out at AG's, I put my shiny duct tape for color over the holes with the sticky side up, then tape with Gorilla tape like usual, and added my rim strip on top of that for added protection. Who knows if it really does anything, but it makes me feel better. Before my wheels were drilled out I just left my stock rim strip in and Gorilla taped over that.
    That's what I did with Kyle's Holy Rolling Darryls. It's pretty easy. Tape colorside down over the holes, one piece of tape on either side of the tape to seal it down to the rim. Tape to the inside edge of the rim. One piece of tape down the center over the overlapping Gorilla Tapes for added insurance. Still took a ride at 30psi to get everything to hold properly.

Board Position
    President

My brain hurts.

Tape down rim strip up that's the we like to fu.....

Wait.......
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

So I rolled a Vee Rubber Mission off the rear of a customer's Kona that was set up tubeless tonight. That was fun. Nothing like vomiting Stan's all over the road.

Suggestions on how to keep tires seated that are all floppy? AG and another person suggested foam tape to build up the rim, but I'm having difficulty picturing it.

Silicone at the bead. Also, did you tape all the way to the lip of the wheel?

Board Position
    President

This stuff.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_13281-46086-...ductId=3110571

I'm sure there is other products made out of the same type of foam. It will help center the tire on the rim.
    Last edited by AG; 01-02-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    Silicone at the bead. Also, did you tape all the way to the lip of the wheel?
    Yes. The tire is incredibly floppy. Apparently I'm not the only one with the issue with Missions. I guess Dillingers are the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    This stuff.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_13281-46086-...ductId=3110571

I'm sure there is other products made out of the same type of foam. It will help center the tire on the rim.
    I see. I was thinking of foam tape you put around windows.

I hear there's an explanation on MTBR, but I avoid that place like the plague. Guess I'll go dig for it tomorrow. Thanks.

Is this what you mean? We're going to try it tomorrow. I don't know if that'll help the tire stay on the bead, though. I can definitely see how it'll help get it set.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/tub...ay-827178.html

Board Position
    President

Pretty much the concept. Good luck bro. Hope it works out. I'll even try and stop by if my schedule allows.

Used foam to build up the channel. Worked wonders to get it to seat. I'll test it out again this weekend to make sure it stays. Might just have to run he Missions at a higher pressure than others.

Gonna do the tubeless thing Sat a.m. and go ride around later. Anybody here done the flammable spray/light a match thing to seat the bead? Looks fun and dangerous so I wanna try it.

And my fatty is tubeless, that wasn't hard once I took my time and did it right. Time to switch the fully over. Now we need to do some stomping.

A new technique of using Clown Shoe rim strip on Marge Lite rims for a tubeless setup came up on a recent stomp. Apparently the added width of the strip helps seal. Found more here: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/tub...rk-895718.html

Some say it works perfect, others say an extra layer of tape/strip is needed to prevent bulging. I'm going this route for my first attempt at tubeless and will report back.