Thread: Need a Windproof jacket, but from where

Default Need a Windproof jacket, but from where

Hey guys, running into an issue, kinda hard to decide on a jacket I like with 1 bike shop stocking anything of the sort and rest with online reading....

Trying to find a good windproof but vented jacket for $100ish, wife is ok with it cause of its purpose and all the OT im working, so want to get on this before she changes her mind. Dont need something with insulation got layering for that. Other details (water resistance etc) not worried about, dont want fitted either. Just my current windbreaker has no vents, breathes like...NOT AT ALL, SWAMPFEST... seen a ton of options but only had my hands on some bontrager stuff so far. Limited selection here. But i want to keep commuting in anything but rain or too much snow for my 29er. Doesnt even HAVE to be cycling specific, just keep our damn piercing wind OUT and wont boil me in 40-50 deg weather.

So what store or stores (primarily iowa side as dont get to IL side much) are in the QC with best selection so I can try some on. Time is a limit(baby and working OT) so driving all over the place is kinda out. Mall area or 53rd/elmore area is best being 2 places I am near regularly. Dick's Sporting goods and healthy habits are all that come to mind as possibles.

I bought my nike windbreaker at kohls! It was easy!!!

Interested in replies to this also.

Hoping some of my cold weather running gear can do double duty on the bike as well. Never done much winter riding, but now that I got a pugs, aim to change that.

Well I checked my kohls...only thing I found posible was a "Tek Gear" windbreaker that actually was vented in the rear, but only came in black or red. 99% of what I keep finding is hoodies and such or heavier jackets. Getting annoying. Tons of options online but want to get my hands on something before i actually buy it so I know it fits and such.

Call Healthy Habits and see what they have in stock. Easily the best selection of clothing in the QC, IMO. Otherwise, I like Bellwether jackets. Any shop should be able to order those for you, but they do run a little small.

Consider Cross Country Skiing jackets. Last fall bought a Salomon that is Half n Half. In the front it is windproof fabric (not vinyl or plastic sauna stuff), back half of sleeves and entire back panel is super breathable fabric. Really helps dump bodyheat whilst protecting the front wind. Full front zipper for more temp range control. Got it at Active Endeavors. Online did not find exact one I have but a similar one with a partial back-panel is above your price range:
    http://www.rei.com/product/851562/sa...ll-jacket-mens
    Good luck.

Default ...

hit HH finally today (went to dicks too). Got frustrated and left, just got funny looks and ignored... I know i dont look like what youd expect a MTBer to look like but just felt very "unwelcome". After Dicks being a waste, HH having things in my size but making efforts to ignore my presence, I gave up.

Thankfully wife wanted to hit target quick for snow boots, found decent softshell for $40. Yes Champion makes cycling clothes, not great quality and such but it works like it should.

hoping next time i try HH it goes a bit better.

Hey there. I apologize for the bad experience. We never intentionally ignore people in our store so I apologize if you got that impression. We definitely have jackets in stock for you with a broad range of features and costs. At your price range I can think of a few available to us that would be awesome jackets for fall and work well into the winter by simply layering.
    I look forward to meeting you in person.

Blake

I didnt figure it was intentional, just was frustrating cause I had to plan out being able to come there since i live 45mins north of the cities and didnt have alot of time to find what I needed. Was impressed you guys had clyde size stuff in stock, thats rare even at big stores like dicks and such.

But I am coming back possibly next month (if overtime comes back like Im hearing it will) cause this jacket isnt going to work in the COLD weather/snow we get. And wife saw the Fatbikes in the front of the store to see why they cost so much (cause i parked infront of doors she didnt come in) so gave me the OK to save and buy one.

I got a Canari. It's got some good reflective material and vents. But it is steamy when temps are above freezing. Great for winter riding. Wish my boots were this good. I got it at Let's Ride for about a hundred dollars. They give FORC member discounts. I like to support the small local shops when possible. Also check out nashbar.com
    Last edited by Thunderstorm; 12-06-2013 at 09:58 AM.

if your lookingcfor outdoor gear not cycling specific but awesome selection and variety.... active endeavors. elmore ave across from lowes.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

I don't see where anyone has suggested the FORC wind jacket. All you need is a sweat shirt under that, a good pair of gloves and you're good to go. Anyone know if we still have some?
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.