Thread: fatbikes and pedal options

Default fatbikes and pedal options

whos using what? like em, buy em again, recommend em to a friend? I already own a pair of lake winter boots(clipless) but not sure about stompin with em. newbie on the global fatbike scene.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

45North Heiruspecs

The big question is: Do you want to stay clipless, or change to flats?

Definitely a personal preference thing.

Plenty of peeps riding both clipless and flats.

If you already own a nice pair of clipless Lakes, I'd say ride those and see how you like the setup before making any kind of change.

To answer your question: flats on all my bikes, Azonic Switchbacks on my fattie. like 'em so far and yes, would recommend to a friend but only if you can find 'em on sale because they ain't cheap.
    Last edited by jimithng23; 10-22-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

as far as switching from clipless to flats, that's not really an issue for me really. I rode the dirt jumper and bmx bike forever with flats and never really had much of an issue. I suppose its more about wether I want to buy new winter boots or not and how much snow/ice I want to deal with in my spd's because im not in the crank bros family. thinking flats are better suited to the shenanigans that may come up during a routine stomping exercise but that means a warm, waterproof ankle height boot/ shoe. I had on the salomon gore tex hiker at active endeavors over the weekend and all bt pulled the trigger. they had a toe squeak that I couldn't get over when I walked, otherwise they would be in my shoe bin.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

I wear flats. I think you will prefer them over being clipped in.

Get a pair of decent pedals with good grip and some boots that are warm and have good traction. Keeping your feet happy while riding in the Winter is the most important thing, in my opinion. No better way to ruin a good stomp than to have cold/wet/uncomfortable feet. The bright side there is you'll have a good pair of boots to wear in the snow even when not on a bike. I've used my for shoveling, hunting, etc since I bought them. A few good pairs of socks are key as well.

I like to keep Winter riding as simple and foolproof as possible, as I don't want to have problems when I am out in the cold. Clipless pedals break a lot more often than a good pair of bomb-proof flats. $100 should get you a damn nice pair of boots that will last several seasons. I have Keen Brixens, but I don't think they make them anymore for some reason.

Looking forward to stompin' with you this Winter.

These look like they'd be pretty equivalent to what I wear. A bit pricier though...

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/pr...!tawny%20olive
    Last edited by badfish41; 10-23-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes