Thread: something to put some miles on!

Default something to put some miles on!

I've been looking for something a little more road friendly to put some miles on. I'm not sure if i could go the full road bike yet. The jamis nova has been on my mind lately! Anyone have experience with the mountain to road/cross transition?

Cross bikes are an excellent transition from mountain to road. I went from road to mountain. I've taken my road bike on dirt and gravel, wishing that I had a cross bike. You'll definitely be able to hammer out more miles on a cross bike, than a mountain bike and it'll be more versatile that a road bike (I like to throw a loop around Illiniwek in on my road ride sometimes).

Mind if I ask what your reservations are about going straight to a road bike?

Second on the cross bike. I put road tires on mine and use it as my commuter. You can actually fit a pretty large tire on them for a better ride and not have to worry about going over a crack on the concrete.

Not sure what your price range is but the Salsa Fargo is an amazing cross-over bike. They carry them at healthy habits if you're interested in throwing a leg over one.

Very Cool bike, little bit of both worlds mountian and road, but not a cross bike.

JB
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiro_biker View Post
    Not sure what your price range is but the Salsa Fargo is an amazing cross-over bike. They carry them at healthy habits if you're interested in throwing a leg over one.
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

The main things about road bike is I've had motorcycles my whole life and know how people act on the road. Basically don't trust other drivers. I also live in geneseo so most of the riding would be along the canal bike path which is alot of loose gravel and sandy spots. Thats why I was leaning towards some kind of a cross bike.

Definitely go for a cross bike. Unless you are road racing, a cross bike works great. You can throw on road tires and road chain rings on it if you want to use it as a road bike. The frame is more forgiving for a smooth ride on long miles, and the upright geometry is great for comfort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I bought a cross bike 5 or 6 years ago and have NEVER regretted the purchase (vs a road bike). I have a separate set of road wheels for it for easy swapping out. I love the frame geometry, and I like the brakes on the cross bike because there is more clearance in case I ride through swampy conditions, and the second pair of brake levers on flats is super handy! I have a Redline Conquest Pro that has a ton of miles on it now, and I still love it!
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballz View Post
    I've been looking for something a little more road friendly to put some miles on. I'm not sure if i could go the full road bike yet. The jamis nova has been on my mind lately! Anyone have experience with the mountain to road/cross transition?
    Did you see the Giant Rapid I posted in the buy and sell forum? It has slightly bigger tires than usual and a flat bar.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Really love my Surly Cross Check.

Surly Straggler. You can run up to 2.3" tires on it.
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by sixers2009 View Post
    Surly Straggler. You can run up to 2.3" tires on it.
    The best part is that it comes in SPARKLY PURPLE!!!!!

Or black!
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Get the purple one and call it "Sparkle Motion"!

Or black!
    For the boring corporate shills.

I'm going to have to wait till next year. Got fat this year but am looking forward to adding more bikes to the collection! Those surly are pretty amazing. It's going to be a hard decision!

Great? Another type of bike I NEED! All right I guess it is a want. What order should I get them: 1) Full suspension, 2) Fat bike, 3) Cross bike? Any recommendations? The more I think about it I believe it is a NEED!

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    For the boring corporate shills.
    Like your black pugs? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kranz33 View Post
    Great? Another type of bike I NEED! All right I guess it is a want. What order should I get them: 1) Full suspension, 2) Fat bike, 3) Cross bike? Any recommendations? The more I think about it I believe it is a NEED!
    1. Fat Bike
    2. Full Squish
    3. Cross Bike

1. Fat Bike

2. Others
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Like your black pugs? :)
    Someone twisted my arm to buy the Necro. I love flamboyant colors. Adds my personality to the bike, dawg. That's why I chose the pea green Cross Check over the black or midnight-blue-might-as-well-be-black frames.

All this talk of black frames has me thinking about nihilists...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5J_kao6mwA

You're out of your element, Vittetoe!

Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't drive a car, I don't f**king ride in a car, I don't handle money, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as sh*t DON'T F**KING ROLL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPo9OBrIOi4