Thread: 26er tire options

Default 26er tire options

My Trance has some Kenda tires on it ( I dont know what model they are). i was wondering what tires would be good to eventually replace these with. Im looking at buying a set of Velociraptors but dont know if this is the best option. Plus I was woundering how people feel about tubes vs. Tubeless. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

whoa dude... this is a tough one.

tough because what constitutes someone's favorite tire is highly, HIGHLY subjective.

for the QC area trails that are mostly hardpack throughout the year, the choice of many riders seems to be a tire with "micro" knobs - some examples would be like a Kenda Small Block 8 or a Maxxis Ikon. Any tire similar to those works well. If you're a more aggressive rider and tend to push hard through corners you may be better served with a more aggressive tread like a Kenda Nevegal, Panaracer Rampage, or Maxxis Ardent.

the best advice I can give you is to do some research, determine what will be best for your particular style of riding, pull the trigger on a set, and begin the experiment.

most of my pals have gone through a few different types of tire before finding their favorite; I was a "tire whore" for a good 2 years before finding what worked best for me.

as far as tubed v tubeless goes.... all my bikes ('cept my fattie...but that isn't gonna be much longer) are tubeless. I'll let someone else divulge their thoughts on that.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I put a set of Velociraptors on my bike when I first started riding a couple years ago. It was like riding with the brakes on all the time. Also, the compound in those tires almost feels like plastic.

I prefer the Specialized Fast Trak Control 2Bliss tires. They are light, roll fast, grip very well, and set up easy on tubeless rims with a floor pump every time. If you ride any pavement at all then you will appreciate the energy savings of a micro-knob tire.

Our bikes (wife and I) have been tubeless for about a year without any issues but our rims are designed for it. YMMV

A couple of my friends tried velociraptors, and hated them. I have been riding long enough to really have my opinion count ( my opinion and 50 cents will get you a can of coke) but tubeless is amazing and I like it better. As long as my tires are inflated properly they seem to hold up much better than with a tube. You should do some research of your own first. I do know that Russ has a set of maxis that you could get a hell of a deal on!

Quote Originally Posted by SugarShane View Post
    A couple of my friends tried velociraptors, and hated them. I have been riding long enough to really have my opinion count ( my opinion and 50 cents will get you a can of coke) but tubeless is amazing and I like it better. As long as my tires are inflated properly they seem to hold up much better than with a tube. You should do some research of your own first. I do know that Russ has a set of maxis that you could get a hell of a deal on!
    *i have NOT been riding long enough for my opinion to really count!

Nate!!!!!!!
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Buy Russ's Ikons from him. You won't regret it. They are fantastic tires. FWIW, the Kenda Small Block Eights are awesome... but it looks like they've stopped making them in 26". I have one in stock, can't find any more of them from any of our distributors.

I agree. Buy Russ's Ikons in the Buy/Sell forum.

Sweet tires; I've been running the Ikons on my Niner for the last 3 years and love 'em.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I agree. You should buy my tires. I'll give 'em to you for 20 ea.
    new guys tend to go for big knobs but it's harder to ride big knobs cause they corner like shit (they get squirmy) and have massive rolling resistance.
    my 2 cents on tubless is don't bother unless you have a tubeless wheel. It can be a pain, but if you have a tubeless wheel almost any tire will seal up with sealant.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
    Nate!!!!!!!
    Awesome
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
    I agree. You should buy my tires. I'll give 'em to you for 20 ea.
    new guys tend to go for big knobs but it's harder to ride big knobs cause they corner like shit (they get squirmy) and have massive rolling resistance.
    my 2 cents on tubless is don't bother unless you have a tubeless wheel. It can be a pain, but if you have a tubeless wheel almost any tire will seal up with sealant.
    Crap, at that price I'd even be tempted to buy them for a bike I don't even ride.

I agree with the tubeless sentiment. Mine were a pain getting them to seat and seal on a non tubeless rim, but the tire was even worse with sealant seaping out of the porous sidewalls. It worked, though, and I love it.

Tubeless is awesome and I definitely recommend it. Grip, rolling resistance, and flat prevention are all much better than with tubes.

I've got the stock wheels on my Giant set up tubeless and haven't had any issues (S-XC2's which should be the same thing as your Trance, except mine are 29" and yours are 26"). I run the Specialized Ground Control 2Bliss up front and the Fast Track 2Bliss in the back...they are tubeless (2bliss) ready tires, but are not UST or anything. No rim strip was needed...just one layer of Stans tape, valve stems, sealant and you are good to go!

As far as actually getting the tires to set up tubeless, I found that wrapping a layer of duct tape/gorilla tape long ways around the tire helps to pull the tire into the rim keeping the air from escaping when airing it up. Also, spraying it with soapy water helps the tire slide onto the bead. Make sure you watch the instructional video on the Stans website that goes over the process of shaking the wheel, etc.

http://www.notubes.com/detailed_kit_instruction.aspx

Yea Nate's have some problems with rolling resistance but to ride them you got to be a man and not worry about such trivial things like weight and rolling resistance. They stick in the corners and give you all the traction you'll ever need ! Forget about all that stuff and go out and have fun on your bike!

JB
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"