Thread: full suspension giant options.

Default full suspension giant options.

I'm looking at a 2011 giant trance 3. They are offering it for 1500 brand new. I didn't know if that's a fair price and what the pros and cons are. Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much.

29er or 26er?

26er, I have a 29 ridged but its not great on the technical stuff.

Trance x3 retailed for $2,200 it looks like. New is new, even if the model is a couple years old, I'd say $1500 isn't a bad deal at all. This is from B&H I assume?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...4097/#overview

Maybe...lol. Yea I have it on hold going to go get it today. What is the down grades it has compared to a tranes x1. Plus they have an anthem 29er for around the same price 2013 29er

The shock doesn't lock out on the X3, but with the Trance X that isn't a deal breaker at all. Other than that, just a little heavier components, but not by much. Still a very solid component set with SLX. Good deal I say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If it fits, it's a good deal.

It has the fox f32 rl fork whick I have on my 29er and it locks out.

Quote Originally Posted by lonerganc134 View Post
    It has the fox f32 rl fork whick I have on my 29er and it locks out.
    Rear suspension doesn't lockout, though, which I think is what Gunchie meant. Sometimes it's nice to have that on climbs.

I ride a 2011 Anthem 29er X3...pretty much the exact same spec as the Trance. The SLX group is great...might not be as quick shifting or as light as XT/XTR, but it definitely gets the job done. That Fox suspension will be nice on the Trance as well.

I'm assuming the 2013 Anthem 29er is the X4 model? If so, the spec is worse than the Trance but it is still plenty good for pretty much any trail in the Midwest. I dig my Anthem, its a great bike...but I don't have a lot of experience riding other comparable bikes.

I guess what it comes down to is what you are looking to do with the bike. The Trance will definitely be more "huckable" than the Anthem, but also won't be as race-y as the Anthem. If you are looking to get into XC racing, get the Anthem; if you are looking for a fun bike to hit kickers and drops, get the Trance. (both bikes can easily do both though)

And I wouldn't worry about having a rear suspension that can lock out. I've done something like 10 races this year and haven't used the ProPedal feature on my shock once.

Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    I ride a 2011 Anthem 29er X3...pretty much the exact same spec as the Trance. The SLX group is great...might not be as quick shifting or as light as XT/XTR, but it definitely gets the job done. That Fox suspension will be nice on the Trance as well.

I'm assuming the 2013 Anthem 29er is the X4 model? If so, the spec is worse than the Trance but it is still plenty good for pretty much any trail in the Midwest. I dig my Anthem, its a great bike...but I don't have a lot of experience riding other comparable bikes.

I guess what it comes down to is what you are looking to do with the bike. The Trance will definitely be more "huckable" than the Anthem, but also won't be as race-y as the Anthem. If you are looking to get into XC racing, get the Anthem; if you are looking for a fun bike to hit kickers and drops, get the Trance. (both bikes can easily do both though)
    sage advice right here, OP.

the SLX stuff is most definitely a solid component group and should serve you well for a few riding seasons at least, if not longer, depending on how hard you are on bikes, of course.

$1500 sounds to be a pretty decent deal... buy it!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Thank you for all your inputs. I went with the trance and cannot wait to hit the trails. Big thanks to Steve and Phil at bike and hike those guys are awesome.

I love my trance x 29er