Thread: Illiniwek Trail Project This Week

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Default Illiniwek Trail Project This Week

We are going to be working out at Illiniwek over the next few evenings to repair a section of trail that has a bunch of glass buried under the trail surface (an old dump site I think). The trail surface is wearing down, shards of glass are starting to poke through, and there is a risk of punctures, cuts, and other nastiness associated with glass shards.

We will be digging out a few inches of the old trail and replacing the glass filled dirt with clean fill that has been provided by the park. There is about 70 feet of trail in need of this treatment and the more people that can help out the faster it will be done. I'm hoping to get it done before the next Taming Tune Up on Thursday.

The only tools which are needed are wheelbarrows, rogue hoes, and flat shovels. Our tool cache is a bit sparse at the moment because the folks in DeWitt are borrowing some of them but I do have 4 flat shovels for people to use.

I plan on starting around 6:00 the next few evenings and we won't be working for long because of the heat (bring plenty of water). Meet in the upper parking lot on the South Loop next to the Salt Dome. Eye protection and gloves recommended.

Good to know info, I've stopped multiple times at that setion to pick up glass, I figured it was some tard doing it on purpose. I'll try to make it out there this week.
    Baller.....

"I'm a beer drinker with a mnt bike problem"

"Problem solved, problem staying solved"

Board Position

Thanks for the help tonight everybody. We made good progress and even found some buried "treasure": an old car headlight, some silverware, and a rusty license plate from 1939. There is only one short section of trail left which I want to address and a few low spots in the grass field on the south loop which could use some filling. I will talk to the park staff tomorrow to see if they can get us another pile of dirt and if so, I'm going to head out Wednesday at 6:00 to finish it off.

Keep the silverware? All of my spoons have mysteriously disappeared from my house. Haha. But seriously, I'm gonna try to make it out tomorrow to help.

Board Position

Just talked to the Ranger and we should have another pile of dirt by later today. It is going to be hot but I will be out there for a little while after 6:00 if anyone wants to drop by.

Board Position

Ranger called me and said they weren't able to get the dirt moved today so we are going to wait until Wednesday. Meeting at 6:00 by the salt dome on the south loop (park in the upper lot).