Thread: Taming of the Slough

Default Taming of the Slough

Hey FORCERs, need a little help. The Taming of the Slough is coming up (sept 14) so River Action is holding several Taming Tune Ups. Folks can practice ride Illiniwek park and see what they are up against. These are Thursday night before the race (8/22,8/29,9/5). Normally the MTB Patrol hangs out at the park on these nights, providing info about the race/trails; which direction?, how many laps?, can I do it on a stryder? This year we aren't going to be able to cover all the days. So if you are out riding at Illiniwek on those days please be extra friendly. Share your knowledge, your tire pump, your beer (OK that may be too friendly). A lot of these riders are not MTBers so a little advice helps a bunch.
    I will post up closer to the race to beg for course marshal volunteers, so you've got that to look forward to.
    dirtboy

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Dave, Russ and I are going to set up arrows to mark off the MTB course at Illiniwek this Thursday starting around 5:00. If anyone wants to help out, just show up and find us. We'll try to be in the parking lot at 5:00 and around 5:30 after we get the arrows up.

I'll be there too and Dave I was doing a summer cleaning this year (something I haven't done in a long time) and found the FORC volunteer vests. Deb and I will be helping out with the Taming so I'll make sure you have them first thing that morning.

JB
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

EP and I are planning on taming the slough ourselves, so we will be out to some of the tune-ups but will be unavailable on race day.

I am out of town this Thursday, but I can make a point to be at Illiniwek for the rest of the Thursday tune-ups to help as well. I think I will be in town the weekend of the race, and if so, I can help course marshall.
    I wanna ride!

I've got a threesome for the race and should be at out there on Thursday as well.
    Baller.....

"I'm a beer drinker with a mnt bike problem"

"Problem solved, problem staying solved"

Call for Volunteers! Starting up the drive for course marshals for the Taming. If you are not racing but are going to the show, please consider being a course marshal. There is only one race, so we start at about 8am and are done by noon. Pizza and frosty beverages are your reward for cheering on the racers and keeping them safe. If you can give a bit of your time please post up here. Thanks FORCers, let's make this first Taming at Illiniwek one to remember.

Deb and I will be ther with vests in hand!

JB
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Bringing this up again, please post up and give us a few hours Saturday morning if you can:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtboy View Post
    Call for Volunteers! Starting up the drive for course marshals for the Taming. If you are not racing but are going to the show, please consider being a course marshal. There is only one race, so we start at about 8am and are done by noon. Pizza and frosty beverages are your reward for cheering on the racers and keeping them safe. If you can give a bit of your time please post up here. Thanks FORCers, let's make this first Taming at Illiniwek one to remember.

Sign me up!

If you volunteered, or decided you would like to volunteer, to be a course marshal at the Taming of the Slough this Saturday here is the skinny.

Please come to the first aid tent set up in the parking lot of Illiniwek Park at 8:00am to pick up your radio and get a location assigned.

This event is run by River Action so, as volunteers, we need to sign up with them. Doing this will also get you a tee-shirt and a pass to the Beer & Pizza party after the race at Empire Park. Click on the following link and fill out the form.

About ½ way down you select the event 'Taming of the Slough', preferred job/date/time = 'course marshal/9-14-13/all day', then fill out the rest (name, address, etc)

Here is the link http://www.riveraction.org/volunteer (if it doesn't link, type it in your browser)

Thank you very much for your help. FORC, River Action and all the racers really appreciate it. You may want to bring; water, and/or other beverage, suntan lotion, bug repellant. Thanks again.
    Dave & Carol B.

Re-posting, in case you missed this yesterday. Thanks for your help.
    If you volunteered, or decided you would like to volunteer, to be a course marshal at the Taming of the Slough this Saturday here is the skinny.

Please come to the first aid tent set up in the parking lot of Illiniwek Park at 8:00am to pick up your radio and get a location assigned.

This event is run by River Action so, as volunteers, we need to sign up with them. Doing this will also get you a tee-shirt and a pass to the Beer & Pizza party after the race at Empire Park. Click on the following link and fill out the form.

About ½ way down you select the event 'Taming of the Slough', preferred job/date/time = 'course marshal/9-14-13/all day', then fill out the rest (name, address, etc)

Here is the link http://www.riveraction.org/volunteer (if it doesn't link, type it in your browser)

Thank you very much for your help. FORC, River Action and all the racers really appreciate it. You may want to bring; water, and/or other beverage, suntan lotion, bug repellant. Thanks again.
    Dave & Carol B.

Board Position

If you haven't already done so, please sign up as a volunteer on River Action's website to get your free t-shirt and food/beverages on Saturday.

If you are planning on being a course marshal, what size t-shirt(s) you need? I need to know by Friday 4PM at the latest.

The shirts will be available at the latest Saturday morning (they would like us to wear them during the race) but I may have them by Friday evening during the course setup.

A big FORC'n Thank You to all the volunteers that helped keep an eye on the racers! Marshals, patrollers, everyone at Empire did a great job. The venue was new but the FORC machine ran like old faithful. Thanks to River Action for rolling with the punches and putting on an excellent Taming 2013. Also thanks for running some pizza down for the Illiniwek volunteers, it was much appreciated.
    db

Board Position

Mucho gracias Browns for organizing the bike patrol and course marshals! Just got back from a sweep of the course and all marking materials have been removed. Except for a few spots of missing bark on trees close to the trail, nobody should be able to tell this event even happened.

Taming of the Slough 2014 Edition!! Call for Volunteers! Starting up the drive for course marshals for the Taming. If you are not racing but are going to the show, please consider being a course marshal. There is only one race, so we start at about 8am and are done by noon. Pizza and frosty beverages are your reward for cheering on the racers and keeping them safe. If you can give a bit of your time please post up here. Thanks FORCers, let's make this Taming at Illiniwek another success.

Thank you very much for your help. FORC, River Action and all the racers really appreciate it. You may want to bring; water, and/or other beverage, suntan lotion, bug repellant. Thanks again

Just signed up to course marshal
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Hey FORCERs, we could still use some help. Only lasts a 1/2 day and it comes with free pizza and beverages!! Please give us some help if you can.
    Taming of the Slough 2014 Edition!! Call for Volunteers! Starting up the drive for course marshals for the Taming. If you are not racing but are going to the show, please consider being a course marshal. There is only one race, so we start at about 8am and are done by noon. Pizza and frosty beverages are your reward for cheering on the racers and keeping them safe. If you can give a bit of your time please post up here. Thanks FORCers, let's make this Taming at Illiniwek another success.

Thank you very much for your help. FORC, River Action and all the racers really appreciate it. You may want to bring; water, and/or other beverage, suntan lotion, bug repellant. Thanks again

what time do we need to check-in Saturday morning to course marshall?
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Board Position

The race starts at 8am so I would say be there by around 7:45 for course marshal duty at IFP. The first racers won't be getting to IFP until around 8:40 at the earliest. We are starting course setup at 7am Sat. (weather dependent) if anyone wants to help with that. More details on that here: TOTS 2014 Setup
    Last edited by DH001; 09-10-2014 at 02:07 PM.