Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sylvan Status

Default Sylvan Status

Is there a sticky or a link somewhere that has real information about the status of access to Sylvan Island?

I've been hearing lots of rumor. I would love to hear some info from people in the "know".
    All Right Meow!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

There is a blurb about this on the homepage. The island is still open to the public but the bridge is closed.

Probably the most up-to-date info you're going to get at this point is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1838...97587/?fref=ts

Default Sylvan FB

Thanks for the link. Lots of good info.
    All Right Meow!

So I'm confused why this is closed. I went across the bridge down at the mill at wildcat den state park that even had me wondering about its strength. It was built in 1875 and it much much worse shape. That thing had some bounce, bent beams, rust holes. Guess the only difference is going over a creek vs a river.

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    So I'm confused why this is closed. I went across the bridge down at the mill at wildcat den state park that even had me wondering about its strength. It was built in 1875 and it much much worse shape. That thing had some bounce, bent beams, rust holes. Guess the only difference is going over a creek vs a river.
    Less foot traffic, too. I don't know if that really matters. It's a different state and I think that bridge is privately owned (took the mill tour last year, possibly incorrect on that).

Board Position

I don't know all the details of why the bridge is closed but I have heard that one of the city engineers saw some significant structural problems when the bridge was inspected earlier in the spring. Once a detailed structural assessment of the bridge is completed (currently in the works) we will know specifically what is wrong with the bridge and if it will be more cost effective to fix it or replace it.

We are amidst a letter-writing campain to the City of Moline urging them to stay on top of this project and to find a solution. They have been pretty responsive and our approach has been to partner with the City versus blaming and pointing fingers. The City has communicated that this is an important project to them as well. I honestly think they were surprised at how loved Sylvan Island is (as evidenced by the public outcry). Please help us to show strength in numbers by the volume of letters we can produce and get to city leaders. The city begins their goals planning sessions this Monday (June 17th) and we would like for our letters to be in by then. The most up-to-date information is on the Sylvan Island Dreamers Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1838...97587/?fref=ts.

We have prepared talking points for you to consider when writing your letter -- go here http://www.qcforc.org/content.php?16...-Island-Bridge for the talking points. Please help us to make a strong stand. Take a few moments and write a letter. For non-Moline residents, the point of contact is Alderperson-at-Large, Stephanie Acri: sacri@mchsi.com. For Moline residents, please submit a letter/email to your alderperson (http://www.moline.il.us/index.aspx?NID=469) AND Stephanie Acri.

With all of us working together, we MAY be riding Sylvan Island again some day!
    I wanna ride!

I took a group of students on a field trip to the Army Corp of Engineers today. Our tour guide was not aware the bridge had been closed. He said they would look into it and its in line with the type of things they do, so hopefuly they can provide some support or valuable input.

Thanks Sergio! I don't recall now who, but someone talked to the Corp and they didn't have funding. But, let's rattle that tree again.

Good time to follow up... please FORCers, take time and email the Moline city council about Sylvan Island this week. Volumes of letters will speak to the importance of the topic. If you are a resident of Moline, please email your alderman (contact list is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1838...97587/?fref=ts), the alderman-at-large (Stephanie Acri - sacri@mchsi.com), and the mayor (Scott Raes - sraes@moline.il.us). If you are not a resident, please email Ms. Acri and Mr. Raes. It doesn't have to be some long all-emcompassing letter. Tell 'em that the island is important to you and why.
    Last edited by Bexter; 06-13-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    I wanna ride!

I received word from (Moline) Mayor Scott Raes this afternoon. He said they completed their goals planning sessions today and the Sylvan Island project landed 3rd on their priority list which I think is great news. That's all I know for now but will post updates as they become available. I feel confident in saying that they City has responded well and I think the community's outcry was motivational. Thank you for helping us to be heard!
    I wanna ride!

Board Position

That is great news Bexter. Thanks for keeping us up to date with the latest Sylvan information. Do you know if they have (or will have) a list of of their goals published online?

I plan to follow up next week to see if I can get my grubby hands on the goals... Stay tuned!
    I wanna ride!

We managed to walk the wall and enter through the train bridge up the river, its not the best way in because you must carry your bike but was well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by lonerganc134 View Post
    We managed to walk the wall and enter through the train bridge up the river, its not the best way in because you must carry your bike but was well worth it.
    You don't want to get caught on railroad property
    Get out and ride !!

Quote Originally Posted by Byke Dood View Post
    You don't want to get caught on railroad property
    It's actually property of Mid American, IIRC.

There was no trespassing signs that we saw but Ill have to check next time. If it is I just have to bring the boat out with me next time. Good looking out though, it would be pretty bad to get in trouble just trying to ride.

really bummed to hear about this. I always try to pick my classes for work out in Moline because I can bring my bike and ride the island. I guess ill have to ride a little farther to get some dirt. bummer.

Sunderbruch Park isn't that far from Sylvan Island... 12 minutes by car, maybe 5 miles by bike.

An update on the bridge: Missman has completed the inspection and is in the process of preparing the report for the city. Should be submitted the latter portion of July.
    Last edited by Bexter; 06-25-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    I wanna ride!

Still waiting for the report. The City in communicating with Missman after their bridge inspection, more questions come up which Missman is now looking into. Apparently the official report will be submitted including the additional information the City had asked about. Looking at another week or two minimum.
    I wanna ride!

The structural engineering report is done and will be presented to the Park Board at their next meeting -- THIS Thursday 8/22/13 at 3:30 PM. I will be in Springfield and unable to attend the meeting, however Harris Elias said he could make the meeting and report back to people with the details. We have also been promised a copy of the Missman Engineering report, and a FOIA request has been submitted just in case they aren't so forthcoming with the report. Stay tuned...
    I wanna ride!

Default Park Board meeting -- THURSDAY, 08-22-13 at 3:30 PM

I sure wish I could attend this meeting! If at all possible, please try and attend the Park Board meeting to show support and continued interest in the Sylvan Island Project. The Park Board meeting is at the Public Works Conference Room, 3635 4th Avenue, Moline, Illinois on THURSDAY, 08-22-13 at 3:30 PM. The bridge project is near the top of the agenda, so it will be a quick stop for anyone able to attend.

I wanna ride!

The meeting with the park board went at well as could be expected. The existing bridge is definitely not safe to use. The city made the right call to close it. After looking at the pictures contained in the engineer's report I can conclude that we are lucky that the bridge didn't collapse with people on it. The concrete piers are sound and can be reused for a replacement bridge.

The park board and the city council are working very hard to get the bridge replaced. There has already been one grant application submitted for the replacement with a new 12' wide bridge that is capable of carrying emergency vehicles and pedestrians.

There was some discussion about the historic nature of the existing bridge and the park board was adamant that any reuse of the bridge would have to be fully funded for them to make saving the bridge a priority. I can sympathize with those that want to save the bridge and in this case, I believe there is far too much structural damage to make repairs a viable option.

The next step will be a special meeting of the park board to before forwarding their recommendation on to the city council. I will advise as soon as I know the dates for the meeting.

Watch the local news!