Thread: Trail Race Prep- things to do- wanna help?

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Default Trail Race Prep- things to do- wanna help?

here's a list of smaller items we need completed prior to race day. Please let me know if you take any of these on so I can not ask someone else to go do it!The location numbers on the map coordinate with the number and description below.

1. In the 2nd loading dock run, (Sometimes called the canals) there is an old fire pit made of bricks and other debris. We need to clean this up and move the bricks out of the trail.

2. Through the tight trees and up over the concrete lip- the concrete lip is exposed too much. We need to bury this again or otherwise make it so it’s not so abrupt. Included in this project is the old brick wall just past this concrete lip. Maybe we can stack bricks or add soil to make it so it doesn't cause a pinch flat for someone.

3. The big root just before you go between the tight trees is overly exposed. We need to find some soil and bury the root again.

4. In the BMX area, we are going to go up the double track and do not want to run into people coming out of Stonehenge, so we need the corridor that goes from the BMX jump to the double track towards the gravel hill opened back up. It is about 40 feet long, flagged and has a log in it that should be able to be move without cutting if a few strong peeps get ahold of it.

5. The last part of Stonehenge- coming up the last hill and the straight away after that- has a large amount of metal slag debris making the trail here rough and unfun. We need to rake/remove some of this slag rubble to smooth out the trail as much as we can.

6. There is a corner flagged coming from the BMX area heading towards the middle double track that need cleared, smoothed. We’ve been riding it, but it needs some love.

7. We will be coming back up the Brick yard rather than going down it and there is a new, short trail tying the brick yard into the trail coming from the black hill. The corridor is opened up but there is some glass where it meets the Black hill trail. Some clean up and burying would help us here.

8. Zig Zag still has a few logs over the trail that don’t really add anything and they take away some of the good flow. We’d like these taken out just to smooth things out. Sylvan has plenty of rough areas, we don’t need to create them artificially.

9. Where the ridge trail runs right along the ridge and just after that, there are potholes and other debris, as well as a couple of roots that are badly located. We need to fill/smooth the section by the ridge a bit and add some fill/soil to the roots so they aren’t sticking up so high.

10. The city has committed to removing the large downed trees on Nemesis and Wahoo hill trails. We need the corridor and beds from the entrance of wahoo from the double track by the west dam building opened all the way up to where it U-turns a ways past the tops of the hill, and then back to nemesis all the way out to the double track again.

11. Anyplace there are face slappers or the corridor hasn’t been opened up enough- do it. I trust your judgement, just keep the single track single and make the double track double.

If the weather cooperates we'll have a trail day this weekend to finish up what we need for the complete race route. Stay tuned!!

2018 Race prep locations.jpg

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Board Position
    Vice President

yes 100% all of those things need made more betters !

Wow! What a terrific list, Ray! I will tackle face slappers and will have shovel and bucket to fill pot holes and even upon overly exposed roots in items #3 and #9.

Bex
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Good list. I'll be there Sat. at 9am and will have extra tools to loan out.

I think the #4 label on the map is misplaced; should be the blue trail directly below (south) and just east of the red dot. However, there is a short section of trail where the label is pointing that used to ease the corner onto the concrete slab which might be worth opening back up.
    ⚒ Trails don't build themselves. ⚒

WOW- What a great trail day- ALL ITEMS on the list were accomplished, and 2- not one, but 2 new sections were put in to make things a little nicer!! Roughly 30 people helped out, several groups were people I had not met before showing up to be a part of the fun- and all around good guy Rick (I don't know your last name) donated a NICE trailer to pull behind a bike for tools and equipment to the Sylvan Island Dirt Crew!! Now if we can get the temp to stay above 35 degrees for 36 hours the place is going to be heaven on wheels!

Drew and I hope to work up a map showing the race course today. Stay tuned, peeps- it's all coming together nicely because all of you are a great group!!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Default Sylvan trail work trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    WOW- What a great trail day- ALL ITEMS on the list were accomplished, and 2- not one, but 2 new sections were put in to make things a little nicer!! Roughly 30 people helped out, several groups were people I had not met before showing up to be a part of the fun- and all around good guy Rick (I don't know your last name) donated a NICE trailer to pull behind a bike for tools and equipment to the Sylvan Island Dirt Crew!! Now if we can get the temp to stay above 35 degrees for 36 hours the place is going to be heaven on wheels!

Drew and I hope to work up a map showing the race course today. Stay tuned, peeps- it's all coming together nicely because all of you are a great group!!
    Club member Ric Love donated the trailer. Trying to save somebody from looking like a trail porcupine with tools sticking out of their backpack everywhere. We had a good time working on the trail and def help out again.

Thanks, Chop- I didn't know his full name and was afraid I'd mess it up! I've had the trailer out and it is REALLY nice- If I had known how handy this is I would have bought one years ago! GREAT donation to the Sylvan Island Dirt Crew and FORC!