Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sylvan Status

I have an aluminum v hull jon boat with a motor large enough to carry some people and tools, if that helps.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

N, Cool!

As we get closer to having real trail days we'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

A VERY BIG thanks to Bex for keeping her fingers on the pulse of this project!! It was only a few months ago that the request to appoint a steward and begin some preliminary work on Sylvan received a loud and lasting round of laughter from many board members- due to the never ending list of obstacles that seemed to pop up any time there was a hint of the project moving forward. Certainly an understandable initial response considering the delays of the last 4 years!

But thanks to a FORC member (Bex) paying attention, taking time off work to go to the City Council meetings when it was on the agenda and keeping in touch with the change of administration at Moline Parks- for 4 years- FORC is able to be in the right place at the right time.

Nice Job, Becky. You da, Girl!

Sweet Weeping Jesus, Peeps- would it be possible to have a time trial at Sylvan late THIS YEAR?! Who'd a ever thunk it?!

Keep your fingers crossed!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I'll be watching for trail days. My first time ever on a mountain bike trail was there, first time I met FORC members (the reason I dove face first into MTB) was there. First trail my oldest (now 10) ever got to ride as well.

Like so many, very sentimental trails, can't wait to help in rebuilding the island and enjoying it with everyone once again.

Huge thanks to Bex, I know she's the reason we have all held onto hope. She never gave up, never missed a beat at keeping things moving forward.

Thanks Bex!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

While I appreciate the kind words, there were a number of people involved namely Harris Elias who came on board amidst the awareness campaign and became my partner in crime researching the situation, attending meetings, working with the media to get the word out, etc. There were others who emerged but wished to remain annonymous to the public who were helpful with research. I am thrilled that it is going to become a reality and shocked at how quickly it may happen. We are meeting with the City this week to discuss our plans and we will be scheduling work days after the Memorial Day weekend. Spring's growth has made the island once again lush with weeds and poison ivy/oak. We have our work cut out for us but it's a worthy investment in time and energy. I look forward to the day when FORC is back to riding on the island and having cookouts in the parking lot (not to mention hosting the Stampede).
    I wanna ride!

Sylvan Island ribbon-cutting ceremony and BRIDGE OPENING is tomorrow -- Thursday 12/21/17 at 11 AM. A few of us lucky enough to get the afternoon off from work will be riding after the ribbon cutting. Talk about a terrific Christmas present to the community! I imagine the island will be a flurry of walkers and bikers this weekend! Hope to see you there!
    I wanna ride!

Anyone ridden Sylvan in the past couple days that can chime in on trail condition?

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Stephen's Park

I walked the outer trail earlier in week... pretty muddy, but looked like people had been riding it like that. Walking it was a bit slippery for what that’s worth.

I walked around there yesterday on the outer perimeter and it was still pretty muddy.

oops, this post was completely wrong. My Bad.
    Last edited by Vibrato; 01-28-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Rode about a lap and a half last night hoping to get the snow beat down before we get more. Great ride, heart rate in the red for 65 minutes and I NEVER get my heart rate in the red- seriously. Any fatty wanting to get a GREAT workout and help the trails- get your tires on Sylvan as much as possible before the next round of snow. If we don't pack it down as we go, we could end up with 10" on the trails and that's a very hard push. packing it as we go makes the trails much more fun!!

We are hoping to begin the minor trail routes this saturday to get ready for the race course set up- SYLVAN ISLAND STAMPEDE IS 8 WEEKS FROM SUNDAY!!

Sylvan trails are packed in and good to ride!!! Lots of snow- if you get off the hard pack your plowing. Hold your lines and get some before it snows again!!!

Trails CONDITIONS are currently SET as "Awesome". Within the next 36 hours the trails will go to "OMG Even More Awesomer". There is a 70% chance they will go to "Sweet Weeping Jesus That's Good" late Tuesday through Wednesday evening. As a great man once said- "TO THE BIKES!"

This weekend we opened up 2 sections that allow easier access to the levee where previously the trail to the levee was a short steep fall line. We also replaced the shingle bridge with a new one and moved the N end of it just a little to allow a longer radius on the corner. Should faster= more fun!! Stampede is less than 5 weeks out!!

The race course has been laid out w orange arrows painted on the ground. Should be good till it rains. There a couple of corners that we still need to work on to make them flow better, but you can ride the course 99% as is right now. The Holzisterbahn needs to be smoothed up some also, if we don't get to it we may reroute novice around it, but that creates a trail in a bad spot so we'll try to get'er done!!

Trails were GREAT yesterday- they'll be the same this afternoon! See you there.