Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sylvan Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
    Well I don't know if it's the city or the paper but yesterday there was a front page article that talk about the possiblity of the funding coming from the cities CIPs and got my hopes up that it could happen and then they decide no because of the grant they had applied for. So if you applied for a grant and knew it might be until August of next year before you would know if you got it or not why would you even tell the paper that it might be part of your CIPs? I know of one person for sure that has went to the city of Moline with other possible funding option and it went on death ears so you have to wounder if they are wanting other input on funding or not. If you can't tell I'm getting a little frustrated with the city of Moline's political machine.

JB
    These are ALL good questions/comments. I'd like to touch base with you about the person who had grant ideas. Perhaps tomorrow after the Taming? BTW, thanks for fixing that gal's bike issue last night!

Quote Originally Posted by Surge View Post
    I met with a couple people form the Iowa DOT and FHA yesterday for work in Ames and spoke to them about Sylvan over lunch. They said there is a good chance the DOT would help with a project like this, especially if the bridge is being made to hold emergency vehicle access. Here are a couple links with good information about DOT trail funding if the city has not already looked into these. http://dnr.state.il.us/ocd/newrtp2.htm http://dnr.state.il.us/ocd/fy13Trailsmanual.pdf
    Thank you Sergio! Also, Flynn Schultz was talking to the Corps of Engineers about this project, but I don't know who he had been talking with and now he's gone (RIP). Do you have any contacts with the Corps?
    I wanna ride!

The City of Moline asked for a letter of support to add to the grant application. Sharing the text here since I sent the letter on FORC letterhead:

I am writing to you today to strongly consider the grant application the City of Moline has submitted which seeks funding to assist with removing and replacing the Sylvan Island bridge in Moline, Illinois. Sylvan Island has been significant to our community for many years and loss of island access has been difficult for our community.

Sylvan Island is the former site of a steel mill within the Mississippi River and for years after business left the island, it sat vacant and nature reclaimed the land. The commingling of concrete, steel and vegetation coupled with its convenient downtown location and prime spot along a 50 mile Mississippi River corridor has resulted in a uniquely appealing park venue.

The island has been home to many events (mountain bike races, cross country meets, and adventure races) drawing thousands of people over the years. A popular mountain biking magazine, Dirt Rag, rated Sylvan Island as one of the Top Ten Urban Biking Parks in the nation! Adjacent dams attract eagle watchers in the winter, and fisherman flock to the island most anytime of year. With Augustana College South of the island and Western Illinois University directly East along the Mississippi, the island offers a unique and inexpensive option for students -- many of whom can regularly be seen running or hiking on the island. Picnickers can be seen there on any given nice day. It is exciting that our community has something so unique that it appeals to everyone along the age spectrum!

Not only do our visitors benefit from use of the island, but our businesses benefit from increased commerce brought by Sylvan Island visitors. The island is so centrally located within the metropolitan area that visitors often patronize businesses in the area.

We are proud of the attraction and are heartbroken that the island can no longer be accessed. Sylvan Island is a gem in the heart of the Quad Cities. Please help us to get our island back!
    I wanna ride!

Excellent letter, Bexter.

Thank you.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Default City of Moline Parks Survey

The City of Moline is asking for feedback from the community about their parks in order to help them to make decisions where to focus their resources in the future. Yes, there are a couple questions on the survey about Sylvan Island. The survey will be available to complete through Dec. 17th. Please take the time to complete the survey ESPECIALLY CITY OF MOLINE RESIDENTS (but for those of you who do not live in Moline, please take the time to complete their survey):
    www.moline.il.us
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Bexter View Post
    The City of Moline is asking for feedback from the community about their parks in order to help them to make decisions where to focus their resources in the future. Yes, there are a couple questions on the survey about Sylvan Island. The survey will be available to complete through Dec. 17th. Please take the time to complete the survey ESPECIALLY CITY OF MOLINE RESIDENTS (but for those of you who do not live in Moline, please take the time to complete their survey):
    www.moline.il.us
    Done. Can't wait to cash in my aquatic center coupon!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Done.

Things I mentioned: Sylvan Island: the bridge of course! Ben Butterworth Parkway: fixing drainage and pavement issues on the Great River Trail and adding freeze proof drinking fountains.

Quote Originally Posted by DH001 View Post
    Done.

Things I mentioned: Sylvan Island: the bridge of course! Ben Butterworth Parkway: fixing drainage and pavement issues on the Great River Trail and adding freeze proof drinking fountains.
    Nice. I filled this out a couple weeks ago from an email I got. I also mentioned the Sylvan bridge and the Ben Butterworth trail pavement tree root issues. And I probably talked about disc golf, too.

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=677280

Funds appropriated for the new bridge! Thanks Bexter and everyone else that worked so hard to make sure this wasn't overlooked!

Yeah, a big thank you guys! Was very happy to see this.

Anybody have a rough timeline of when things will get underway?

As huge as the Illinois grant is, I'm of the understanding the City of Moline is required to match a certain percentage of the grant.

I haven't seen any other details pertaining to the match and/or a timeline.

Hopefully we'll have someone chime in who has.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Board Position

This is great news! The funding comes from the IL DOT ITEP grant which matches funding up to 80/20. The city would have to come up with at least 20% ($284,400) of the project cost while ITEP pays the remainder up to 80%. The requirements also state that work on the project must begin within 3 years or the grant expires. Still might be a while before we see a new bridge but at least there is progress.

Think we could get our hands on some scrap pieces of the old bridge when they remove it to use in the Stampede trophies for years to come?

Talked to a couple City leaders earlier this week and it is highly probable that the City matching funds WILL will be appropriated for the project. With the grant, we are on IDOT's schedule though and they already have many projects on their schedule. We will be placed on the list...
    I wanna ride!

Board Position

As Bexter mentioned at the meeting tonight, the city of Moline will be holding a meeting tomorrow at 6:30 discussing plans for replacing the Sylvan Island bridge.

More info about this meeting can be found on the Moline website here: http://www.moline.il.us/Calendar.aspx?EID=1594 (be sure to check out the meeting agenda [PDF warning])

Article in times says 80k$ was allocated for a study on environmental impacts. They plan on reusing concrete piers to save $. I was planning on riding the Isla d last year when I started working at Deere and then the bridge was closed.

It's not such a bad thing. I now take some Deere people with me 3 times a week to the other parks. Hit the paths and canals. Having a blast.

This kills me, they are going to use the same piers but they need $80k to do an enviromental impact study???????? Someone going to make a lot of money and it's all coming out of the tax payers' pockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop1869 View Post
    Article in times says 80k$ was allocated for a study on environmental impacts. They plan on reusing concrete piers to save $. I was planning on riding the Isla d last year when I started working at Deere and then the bridge was closed.
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Welcome to the world we live in these days...can't build anything without spending a ton of time and $$$ getting through all the red tape first.

Board Position

I think there was talk of building a temporary embankment into the channel between the island and IL shore to disassemble the old bridge and install the new one. Something about not being able to use cranes from the IL shore because of the overhead power lines. This is probably part of the reason why they need such a large/expensive environmental study.

Times Article: http://qctimes.com/news/local/moline...b1ffc2bc9.html
    Last edited by DH001; 10-13-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Why is it not possible to build a small pedestrian bridge similar to the one near south park and best buy? I understand the need to replace a large bridge, but maybe the island doesn't need car and buggy traffic...

Wouldn't a smaller bridge be cheaper?

Board Position

A small bridge would definitly be cheaper, but probably not by a lot. Much of the expense is going towards site preparation for installing the new bridge which involves removing the old one. The city also wanted a bridge large enough to allow emergency and park maintenance vehicles to cross without issues. There is an itemized list with cost estimates listed in the Missman Inspection Report from last fall on page 25 of the PDF (Attachment C: Pg 2 in the report).

The City of Moline and Illinois Dept. of Transportation are getting there. The project is currently scheduled for IDOT's January 2017 bid schedule with an eye toward Spring 2017 construction. I know a lot can change, but at least as of today, that's where the project stands. I remain hopeful...
    I wanna ride!

At last week's Moline City Council meeting, the Council gave approval to move the Sylvan Island bridge project forward. The next step is the design phase. Construction should start in late Spring 2017 and hopefully completed by Fall of 2017 according to the city mayor. However the newspaper article cites an opening date of Fall 2018. http://wqad.com/2016/08/09/molines-s...eopen-by-2018/
    I wanna ride!

Board Position

Thanks for the updates Bexter! Already looking forward to Sylvan Island Stampede 2018!?

Thanks Bexter, but a long road but happy to see the end is in site. First place I ever rode mountain bike trail, looking forward to being able to help make the island better than ever.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

SYLVAN ISLAND TO REOPEN LATE THIS SUMMER

^^ Did your weary eyes ever think that they would see such beautiful words?!

The bridge project is in motion and Moline Mayor, Stephanie Acri, says the new bridge to Sylvan Island should be in place by late summer 2017 (http://wqad.com/2017/05/04/moline-ma...e-this-summer/). I can barely type because of the excitement! Soon, we will be back to biking on Sylvan Island!

Well... a trail care crew has already been working on the island with the City's permission assessing and laying out a new and improved off-road trail design. Once approved, we will be asking for a great deal of help from the membership to make it become reality. The strategy is to resurrect the super cool sections of trail loved by all, to improve or forego areas that weren't so hot, and to put in brand new trail in areas we've been eying for years all the while maximizing use of the land. We are hopeful that the end product won't be so spider-webby (is that a word?) and will have better flow than what was formerly there.

The old bridge remains closed, so we have been kayaking over to the island. This will still be part of it for our club work days. Anyone have a pontoon boat or flat bottom boat? Kayaking with tools is a bit inefficient. A boat would be really helpful. So, stay tuned and keep an eye out for the trail day posts to come...
    I wanna ride!