Thread: Global Fat Night Ride 6-21-13

Default Global Fat Night Ride 6-21-13

Alright, alright, alright....

In celebration of Summer Solstice and because it's been too damn long since we met up for a good old fashioned fat bike stomp, let's roll over on top of our fatties and do some night terrorridin'!

I have a tentative plan in mind and destination(s), but nothing is set in stone as in typical fat bike ride fashion. We will convene at the Front Street Brewery at the Freight House at 7pm for a departure time of 8pm. What time you want to be back is up to you, I would venture to guess after midnight for some.

So let's kick off the Summer right with some night time shenanigans!

Cheers!

*Fat bikes are bikes with tires at least 3.8" wide, so a Krampus would not qualify.**
    **Unless you have a beard, that adds .8" to tire girth.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

I'm there.

I'm going to have to pass this time

Quote Originally Posted by icrunch View Post
    i'm going to have to pass this time
    lol
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by iCRUNCH View Post
    I'm going to have to pass this time

......wait a second.....this isn't HALO......

I'm confused...

In for the ride, but confused as to what's goin on.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    I'm confused...

Ditto.
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

I'm confused...

Urban fat stomp, sounds like.

Hopefully the city doesn't put the boat ramps back in at Marquette st and hopefully the BMX park is open at night.

The ramps are gone, Westy. Sucks, but it was fun while it lasted! Good new is the bike park will be open and we will be stopping by there to mess around a bit before we head to our destination.

Plan is still to leave the Freight House at 8:00pm, we'll be stopping by the skate/bike park for a few minutes and then we'll be taking the bike path along the river out to Credit Island and over the bike bridge and up S. Concord, eventually ending up on the South side of Sunderbruch Park. Once there, you can ride the trails or head down to the parking lot where there may or may not be a beer troll we'll have to deal with. Not real sure. There will be some people leading a slower paced green/blue lap(s). From there we'll head back the same way we came, ending back at Front Street at the Freight House.

Should be a good time. All bikes and bikers welcome, fat bikes encouraged! As always, no whining.

Post up if you have any questions or need to borrow lights or just to say you'll be there. This is a fun ride to celebrate the official start to Summer, so no one will be left behind or rushed- we got allllll night!

Cheers!

I am unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) out on this one because we decided to add a night to our bikepacking/camping trip. I also won't have my new headset for my Fattie by then.. I do however have a fully charged NiteRider Trinewt I'd be willing to lend to someone that needs some lights. I could probably even spare a rear blinky if needed.. Post up and I'll make sure to get it to badfish before Friday.

I shall partake in the fun.
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by sixers2009 View Post
    I shall partake in the fun.

so...this is happening.

pretty stoked.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

so...this is happening.

pretty stoked.

I'm going to be there, come hell or high water.

Well, I suppose if the water is that high we may have to change our route.

My fat bike is ready to roll, and it will not be for sale on the way back this time.
    Last edited by badfish41; 06-20-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: because

Home Builders Golf Outing all afternoon and Global Fatbike Night all in one day..........

Pretty sure the wife is going to be more like this, though......

Quote Originally Posted by Westy_3 View Post
    Home Builders Golf Outing all afternoon and Global Fatbike Night all in one day..........

Pretty sure the wife is going to be more like this, though......
    Oh well, fat bike >>>> wife anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    I am unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) out on this one
    Unfortunately I have no other plans. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Guldy View Post
    Unfortunately I have no other plans. Sigh.
    There won't be any fun had. There's never any fun to be had at fat bike rides. (that anyone can remember)

One last shameless bump in case anyone missed it. If they aren't charged up yet, get those lights ready and head downtown at 7.

Sunderbruch is going to be in great shape for some fat tires.

In - it will be weird to stomp without 20 lbs of winter gear or the threat of hypothermia if I get wet.
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Did you get any rain down there? We got +0.25" here.

Planning on dropping by around 7:30.

Sprinkled for 10 minutes in Moline.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Better late than never; a few photos from the ride can be found here: Global Fat Night Ride