Thread: trail worthy lights.....

Default trail worthy lights.....

after the great clipless pedal thread here, i thought it might be time for a light setup debate also. that time of year is coming............night rides. i need a light setup for sure this summer instead of the led flashlight that isn't all so good.

i have only used the niterider x2 duals in the trails, and also again at rays. I love their brightness and the ability of having the seperate headlights to adjust beam angle or whatever. I really think i want a mininewt for a helmet mount but not 100% sure as i have NEVER used anything different for a comparison.

this is where you all come in.

post it up, what you use, what you think of it or what you have seen and would recommend if not your setup.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

I currently run the niterider trinewt and love it. A few others in the club run the same light, and I am sure those guys will chime in. My sample pool is rather small as this is the one and only light I have owned however, I have borrowed others ranging from Princeton Tecs to the Blackburns...I would have to say I am most impressed with the trinewt. Like you, I would like the mininewt for my helmet...

...just my $.02

good luck and as always, if you want a trial run, let me know!

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

I'll take you to Target and set you up for $50!!
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

If you can night ride with $50 lights from target, you're going WAY too slow! I have a light & motion Stella and like it. It works for a good helmet light, but definitely needs a handlebar light to accompany it.

There are plenty of DiY post online for building your own lights. You can build your own lights for as little as $100 or maybe less. I personally roll with a mininewt for both my helmet and bar mounts. I am currently in the process of buying a Niterider Enduro HID light for my bar. I have also ran the Blackburn X-6 as a bar mount and was pretty satisfied with them.

At the end of the day, try some out and see what you like because its all a personal choice. So of the guys that I ride with out here in Cali can't believe that I ride mininewts on both the bar and helmet, but for me they are more than enough for where I do most of my night riding.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

The 1st 24 hour krud and I did we ran "beer cuzie" lights- they heavy as a truck, and just as bright- had the blackburn X-6 (duals) for a while and wasn't very happy with them- small area lit up, low run time.

For ultra cheap- Wal-mart has a Bell handle bar mount that takes four AA and a flashlight bulb- about 10 bucks and it's just as bright as any $50 light I've seen, but it only lasts about 1.5 hours. I used to have one on hand in case my main went down, but I don't usually carry it any more because my Tri-newt has never gone down.

There are 1 watt LED flashlights you can buy for 20.00 or so that put out great light and last a long time for the money- you just have to make a mount or re-engineer the whole thing. I have zip tied one to my helmet on occasion for a light and it works amazingly well!

With lights, you get what you pay for- several of us have gone through the "to heck with that price, I'll build my own" phase, but any one who rides much has broke down and bought a good light. My tri-newt was new for $265 delivered of off e-bay and I'm extremely happy with it.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Actually my brother was pretty successful building two LED lights. I still use one for the commuter bike. Works pretty well. He has parts to build more. It takes awhile though, and since time is the last thing he has because of school I doubt he'll build anymore soon.

anyone selling any lights?

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Light & Motion's new seca 900...
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?