Thread: Kicked off the island

Thumbs down Kicked off the island

Attention,
    I was just asked(told) to leave the island by Moline police.
    We might want to list it as closed for now. I had to redirect some STL area bikers who showed up as I was leaving.

Andy

The Island is not closed. The bridge is. Tell them you have your swim trunks under your baggies.

I asked him where his boat was. He didn't like that. Wasn't really worth arguing I'm sure he's doing what he was told. I made him work to catch me anyway. Apparently moline bike cops are slow and have no cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by biker826 View Post
    I asked him where his boat was. He didn't like that. Wasn't really worth arguing I'm sure he's doing what he was told. I made him work to catch me anyway. Apparently moline bike cops are slow and have no cardio.
    I know most of them as customers. Some of them are in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by biker826 View Post
    Umm, really?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Sorry for sharing my personal opinions here.

No matter how wrong a police officer may be, it's never a good idea to be smart or mouthy back. Like you said, he's probably just doing his job. Fight that battle, but fight it elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by truta View Post
    Sorry for sharing my personal opinions here.

No matter how wrong a police officer may be, it's never a good idea to be smart or mouthy back. Like you said, he's probably just doing his job. Fight that battle, but fight it elsewhere.
    How wrong he is? The bridge is closed, just stay off of it. Jeez.

Never said that this particular officer was wrong. I agree that if the bridge is closed, then stay off the bridge. My bad for not being clear.

This guy is much better at what I was trying to communicate, to not be discourteous in any police encounter.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/roadright...t-talk-part-1/

So we all understand the conversation went like this:
    Officer:Hey!
    Me: Yeah
    Officer: the park is closed
    Me: the park is closed or the bridge is closed?
    Officer: the bridge is closed
    Me: where's your boat?
    Officer: the bridge is closed by order of the city administrator
    Me: OK

And off the island I went. The key is what happened next. A couple from St. Louis showed up expecting to ride that trail.
    I explained the situation and they understood but wondered why the trail status on the website said it was open?
    I said well technically it is open you just need a boat to get there. So I led them to Illiniwek we everyone rode happily ever after. So as much as I'd like to worry about what the police officer thought of my not so gentle way of pointing out irony I'm much more concerned about the club or the QC in general looking like we don't know what we are doing. I think it needs to be made clear in the trail status section of this website that Sylvan Island is only accessible by boat.

I agree with the trail status change. Could we simply change it to yellow similar to ScoCoPa and put "Boat Access Only" where the phone number is now?

U got kicked off??? Me my boy and like tons of ppl were there today like nothing was going on. I figured one last farewell to sylvan was in order, police even drove through and said nothing. No bike cops though. Even told a guy from Iowa (said he was a park ranger) that I was under the understanding we could ride today as the last day and explained what route he could ride with his young son. Guess that means none of us better try and be sneaky, won't end well hehe.

Oh and the very justified ? Of "where is your boat?" I feel was fair being that was as far as it went

Has anyone called brandt construction. The build bridges and may be able to help who know it could be a tax right off for them

Sorry to hear about Sylvan Island being closed. Hopefully they find a solution soon.