Thread: Rumor?

Default Rumor?

I herd from somebody in my outdoors club at Black Hawk that its possible that they might close sylvan island? Its about the bridge that leads into the park. Apparently its just super crappy falling apart I haven't noticed it being to bad. But the rumor is there going to shut down sylvan island.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Sunderbruch

Yes, unfortunately it seems to be true. Hopefully the City of Moline will be proactive in finding a resolution to get access back to the island.

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=635824
    2012 World DodgeTyre Champion

I rode anyway there was nobody to enforce it. But that really stinks I didn't really see anything wrong with the bridge i would still cross it if it got really sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by TronUserRider View Post
    I rode anyway there was nobody to enforce it. But that really stinks I didn't really see anything wrong with the bridge i would still cross it if it got really sketchy.
    You would, and so would the next guy and the guy after etc, and then somewhere along that line someone gets hurt... then the city is responsible for not taking action and closing a hazardous bridge.

Might have to get a floating platform and pull ourselves across like they have in Bloomington, MN along the Minnesota river!
    They have a platform that is attached to ropes between trees and you load your bike and pull yourself across.

Interesting solution with similar needs, not sure how acceptable that would be for Moline though... vid and trail details.

Whatever solution the city comes up with, I certainly hope it reduces the amount of fb traffic I get from so many people ranting about gov'ment taxing and spending. Always interesting how quick the attitudes can shift.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

That wouldn't work because there is boat traffic that goes through there. Great idea though

The bridge gets most of it's strength from the overhead truss design and it sits on limestone, so it looks like it just needs a new deck. you know how it goes around here if ain't broke don't fix it.
    Get out and ride !!

Quote Originally Posted by Westy_3 View Post
    That wouldn't work because there is boat traffic that goes through there. Great idea though
    And the Sylvan canal has quite a bit more flow and dangerous currents. Falling in even at lower water levels would almost certainly have dire consequences.

A boat mountrd bike rack is the only safe way to go with like a 10 or 12ft flatbottom will fit in a pickup and haul maybe 4 bikes per load.
    Get out and ride !!

Quote Originally Posted by Byke Dood View Post
    A boat mountrd bike rack is the only safe way to go with like a 10 or 12ft flatbottom will fit in a pickup and haul maybe 4 bikes per load.
    Where's the closest place to drop the boat in at?