Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIS9 - Call for Volunteers

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Default SIS9 - Call for Volunteers

The Sylvan Island Stampede is quickly approaching! We need a small army of volunteers working behind the scenes to make sure everything runs smoothly and gets done. If you would like to help out, post up the times you are available and what you would like to do.

A few of the jobs we need people to fill:

Course Setup/Teardown
    - Course Setup: The evening before the race
    - Venue Setup: The morning of the race (5:00 am - 7:00 am)
    - Course Teardown: after the expert race (4:30 pm - ???)

"The Tent":
    - Registration (7:00 am - 4:30 pm)
    - Swag (7:00 am - 4:30 pm)

Parking Organizers
    - A few hours in the morning to get things rolling (6:30 am - ???).

Course Marshals
    - Novice/Juniors (9:00 am - 10:30 am)
    - Maverick/Fatbike (10:30 am -12:00 pm)
    - Kids Race (12:00-12:30)
    - Sport (12:30 pm - 2:20 pm)
    - Expert/Comp/Open (2:20 pm - 4:30 pm)

All times are preliminary.

Those who are taking charge of the individual tasks please post up more details!

I'll be there for course set up the night before, set up the morning of, and course marshal some time not quite sure what race I'll be in yet, put will do at least the sport race and expert/comp/open.
    JB.
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

I can commit to course setup the night before...possibly be there for setup morning-of, but not exactly sure yet.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I'll course marshall the races I'm not in (Mav/Fat) and I'm usually able to stick around for tear down. I'll help with Saturday setup, schedule permitting.
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

I'll be there to set up Saturday and early Sunday morning. I can course marshal Novice and help out with other stuff throughout the day including tear down/ cleanup.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

I will be racing novice, otherwise I'll be there saturday night and all day sunday to help with anything I can.
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

I will help Saturday and course marshal on Sunday for which ever race I am not in. Will probably be racing Maverick.

I can help with setting up the night before and with whatevvvs after the maverick race.

IM open for whatever on sunday besides watching my boy on the little kids race, saturday not sure cause couldnt take the whole weekend off but hopefully i get off early enough to come help, let you know on that.

the browns will be there, Sat evening and bright and early Sunday. We will be organizing the course marshalls and patrollers. Please post up so we can get you on the list. New patrollers, let me know if you get first aid/ CPR before the race. If not we will still need you when you are not racing, to keep the peace and pick up the pieces. to the bikes!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Sylvan Island

FM will be there Sat night Sun morn. and any time before to help get trails ready. I'll also be there all day Sun. to help (except I'm racing FB and open) but I'll be there for tear down, and I'm doing the kids race (organizing not competing in) . It's going to be a blast can't wait.

FM
    In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

I'll be there to help for all set up and tear down as well as island prep (tree removal etc.). Don't plan to course marshal unless needed. I'll be racing sport.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I have a wedding that Saturday but am seriously debating on skipping due to my buddy has NEVER introduced the bride to any of his friends. Match made in heaven, right? If I decide not to go, I will be there to support the effort. I also have not decided if I will race or not. If I do, it will be the fatbike race, but regardless, I will be there Sunday to help out as well.

I'm already doing my daily honey whiskey sippin routine to prepare my emcee voice for the race. I will do that throughout the day Sunday. I'll need someone to fill in for me while I race (FB most likely). I'll be there through tear down.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Want a great spot to watch the Stampede? Sign up now to be a Course Marshal for SIS 9! You will get a track side seat for all the excitement, dirt, sweat, flying bike parts, and a stylin walkie talkie! But wait, there’s more! In addition you will get the undying gratitude of FORC and about a thousand “hey thanks for doing this” from the participants.
    Course Marshalls monitor a section of the race course. They encourage the racers, watch for cheating (never happens) and report injuries or mechanical problems. It's really easy and kind of fun!
    We will need about 10-12 more people as marshals so please post up and reserve your spot. No need to sign up again if you did it at the meeting. Let us know if you are racing and which race, so we don't schedule you to do both. You can help with 1, 2 or all the races… and unlike mustaches, boom boxes are encouraged.

If watching the wheels go round n' round aint your thing. Volunteers are needed for Registration, Merchandise and Set Up/Clean Up. Please post up and give a little time so everybody can enjoy the day without working too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtboy View Post
    [FONT="and unlike mustaches, boom boxes are encouraged.[/FONT]
    Mustache and boom box will be present for the Sport race... unless I wax beforehand.
    I wanna ride!

Default SIS9 Volunteers

I can work SWAG or registration the entire time and then if needed I can be pulled to work other areas. I am open, just new to all of this so I need some ropes shown to me on what to do etc. Contact me at gore_gina@yahoo.com for instructions etc. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ggina222 View Post
    I can work SWAG or registration the entire time and then if needed I can be pulled to work other areas. I am open, just new to all of this so I need some ropes shown to me on what to do etc.
    Rock on, Gina, and thank you! Gina is a Women's Outdoor Club member whose interest in mtn biking has been piqued due to my incessant talk about mtn biking. Let's show her how cool it is!
    I wanna ride!

It's pretty cool.

I'm racing novice, and possibly fat bike, too, but I can volunteer after those.

Bringing this back up . We still could use some help. Post here and/or show up at the first aid tent for duty. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtboy View Post
    Want a great spot to watch the Stampede? Sign up now to be a Course Marshal for SIS 9! You will get a track side seat for all the excitement, dirt, sweat, flying bike parts, and a stylin walkie talkie! But wait, there’s more! In addition you will get the undying gratitude of FORC and about a thousand “hey thanks for doing this” from the participants.
    Course Marshalls monitor a section of the race course. They encourage the racers, watch for cheating (never happens) and report injuries or mechanical problems. It's really easy and kind of fun!
    We will need about 10-12 more people as marshals so please post up and reserve your spot. No need to sign up again if you did it at the meeting. Let us know if you are racing and which race, so we don't schedule you to do both. You can help with 1, 2 or all the races… and unlike mustaches, boom boxes are encouraged.

If watching the wheels go round n' round aint your thing. Volunteers are needed for Registration, Merchandise and Set Up/Clean Up. Please post up and give a little time so everybody can enjoy the day without working too hard.

I'd be up for helping out, either by marshaling or doing whatever, I'm pretty open. Message me and let me know what and when.

Quote Originally Posted by mtholst View Post
    I'd be up for helping out, either by marshaling or doing whatever, I'm pretty open. Message me and let me know what and when.
    That's Super! Thank you. When you get to the island come to the first aid tent and we will set you up with a spot and a race to marshall. That goes for everyone else too, if you can spare an hour or two to stand in one spot and watch the race please give us a hand.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Do we have a chitlin wrangler for those who could help but otherwise tied up with parental duties?
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Default Call of volunteers

Quote Originally Posted by Bexter View Post
    Rock on, Gina, and thank you! Gina is a Women's Outdoor Club member whose interest in mtn biking has been piqued due to my incessant talk about mtn biking. Let's show her how cool it is!
    Bexter, yes your freakish passion for biking and wanting to have a stylin walkie talkie prompted me to volunteer, LOL. Several other members wanted to volunteer too. I would suggest a shout out reminder to the QCWOC group on FB again, they need a push.

The walkie talkies are good fun and they make you look important.