Thread: What/How Much Would It Take to Do This? (Indoor XC)

Default What/How Much Would It Take to Do This? (Indoor XC)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I can run up to Rays, but seriously, has anyone looked at doing this locally?

Gracias.

Looks like a ton of fun. Liability insurance is probably killer, though.

you'd need a base of riders to support it, corporate sponsorship, a facility large enough. I imagine that the QC's has a surplus of empty buildings, it would be a challenge, but not entirely difficult to secure sponsorship from brands like shimano, sram specialized, trek etc, but the QC's are very small and having the traffic to make this financially viable would take a rider base at least 5x what's available and a gargantuan marketing juggernaut to pull it off.
    Lance Lau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Board Position
    President

Finding a building would be difficult but not impossible. What we have found that seems to be a killer is the property tax bill. The soon to be empty Menards building in Davenport at 50,000 sq. ft. has a $220,000 annual property tax obligation. Add in a mortgage, utility's ext... Hard to do.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Doing it official style, very difficult; I'd even say Trek is having a tough time making it work in Milwaukee... I'm no businessman but one of the big expenses has got to give (mortgage, insurance, taxes, etc.) just to break even.

Once upon a time we had a clandestine invite only bldg in CR, it was great. Here's a vid in its infancy...

And some legacy posts on the topic:
    http://forum.mtbiowa.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=523
    http://forum.mtbiowa.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=633

It no longer exists, in fact the bldg has been demolished along with many others post 2008 flood. Some of the obstacles have been recycled to local trails, others...

This is in Iowa City...

only conceivable way it can be done in our area, in my opinion.....someone who may be filthy rich or hits the lottery builds a facility, keeps it privately owned, and keeps it "underground."

until that happens, I'll gladly ride my fat bike through the winter and make the 3.5 hour drive to Milwaukee a few times.

I don't think the QCA could sustain the Ray's business model. An immense amount of upfront capital needed, a large amount of on-hand capital for operating expenses, and the right piece of property. On top of that, I don't think there's a large enough rider demographic here to support it.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Yeah, it was a HUGE put in with risks for those involved. Worth it, but not sustainable. Still, gimme an old machine shed not full of animal dung and stored RVs and I'd make something work :D

A few more old posts, with pix, on the topic:
    http://forum.mtbiowa.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=431
    http://forum.mtbiowa.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=753&p=4185

yeah a while back i found a warehouse in iowa city i was going to buy--it was on sale for $1, but property taxes was $2mil/year

my other idea is an underground mtb park (mtb spelunking) or dig a hole in the ground, cover it with an inflatable dome or hoop bldg. bam!

let's go mtn biking in vietnam!

there's a whole jungle in this cave

back to the indoor park thing, my thought was to do a coop of rider/owners
    so liability is shared by everyone
    if you want to ride, you have to buy a share

I've got access to a couple buildings in East Moline, two stories with basements, taxes are less than what the menards would be. The buildings could be connected via a bridge of some sort if the city allows. I've skateboarded, rode bmx bikes and played basketball in these two separate buildings as a kid, so the space is allright with a few mods to make the different floors accesible on bikes. The city would prob be the biggest obstacle as far as permits, etc. If this is something the club wants to persue I'd say lets start an exploratory/advisory committee to look at the options.

Quote Originally Posted by konabiker View Post
    yeah a while back i found a warehouse in iowa city i was going to buy--it was on sale for $1, but property taxes was $2mil/year
    Was that possibly the same as the "white lightning wherehouse"? Right across they alley from some apartments? There was an 'abandoned' warehouse in IC a few years ago where people would have punk shows.

Does Moliterno still have the indoor bmx/skate park out by west kimberly & hickory grove?
    Lance Lau

Rampage Skatepark was on Kimberly years and years ago, then he moved it to the SW side of Dport and then closed when the the Davenport Concrete Skatepark was built :(
    "Keep your flesh off the ground"

Ray's is a non-profit and is probably sought and was granted property tax exemption. I don't see how else this business remains profitable. I've done the math and looked at some locations. I'm pretty sure Ray was given the original Cleveland location for literally nothing. All a non-profit has to do from there is earn enough to remain open, reserve funds for expansion and self preservation, and pay its employees. Also makes it pretty attractive from a sponsorship perspective as well.