Thread: Bike Camping

Default Bike Camping

Just wondering if any of my brothers or sisters from the QC would be interested...
    http://mtbiowa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1849
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!

Where were all the Lamba-ites during the Stampede?!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I don't know where they were. I only know it was Orthodox Easter for me and that is where I was. I figure at least a couple that may have came down had committed to putting in trail at Squaw Creek Park. Getting trail in there is a pretty big deal for LAMBA right now. It is a huge opportunity to show the county what can be accomplished at that park which could lead to more trails elsewhere. There is potential to get many miles in there eventually. As for any other LAMBAnites; I can't venture to guess why they missed out on an event as great as the Stampede!
    Sorry I missed it, but my Lord is on the highest rung of my priorities. Yes, even above mtbing.
    Everything I have heard and read leads me to believe I would have had an awesome time had I been there

CG

Are you making breakfast?!

There are 10 or so FORCers planning on doing a bike/camp trip up the Hennepin Canal Path later this season.

Sorry I missed the race. Was planning on a long workday at Squaw. That didn't work out either. Spent it with the family, which is something I haven't been doing enough of. Gonna take one of these Friday's off and get me some QC dirt on my tires and fill up my growler.

Sorry to derail this thread, CG.

I was just thinking to myself "self, where are the Lamba dudes?!"

Wish you guys coulda joined us. It was a great day.

Back to the topic...CG, I'd love to do something like this if I could ever make it work with my schedule!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    Are you making breakfast?!
    I'll make it if someone brings it
    I enjoy cook'n for others.
    I'll tell ya what I need and you haul it.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Sounds cool, CG, but the link is a little short on details...

How long of a ride- Miles/days?
    When are you going?
    For doods that ain't been bike camping, any links to good articles on what to pack and how to pack lite?
    How much beer can a beer hauler haul, if a beer hauler can haul beer?
    Any place to get beer on the way so's it doesn't have to be hauled the whole way?

Are there trails in the park that we'll be camping at? Stopping to ride any along the way?

The people must know, comrad...

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    For doods that ain't been bike camping, any links to good articles on what to pack and how to pack lite?
    I don't know what all you'll need, but you should get one of these:

Whatever it is make sure it's cans. Easier to carry in, and ten times easier to carry out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

A Value Oriented Cyclist

Sounds cool, CG, but the link is a little short on details...

How long of a ride- Miles/days?
    When are you going?
    Any place to get beer on the way so's it doesn't have to be hauled the whole way?

Are there trails in the park that we'll be camping at? Stopping to ride any along the way?

The people must know, comrad...
    How long of a ride- Miles/days? about 22 miles from my place. 2 days 1 night...ride. camp/fish/grill, ride/explore, play, etc. ride home. Matsell is hike, bike (some areas not very bike friendly b/c of the sand purposely placed to deter vehicles), or horse access only campsite. It is nestled remotely in the back of the preserve by the river. There is a clearing w/ a couple picnic tables, an outhouse, a couple hitching posts for horses, a trail leading to the river, and a network of double-track trails throughout the preserve.
    http://g.co/maps/7ymfc

When are you going? that's a tough one. right now weekdays would be good or every other wkend. This wkend would work however 30% of rain Sat. Next wkend is no good. Not sure what the weather would hold in two wks. I know one person that wants to go on a Thurs afternoon to Friday, but next Thurs' weather looks crummy then.

For doods that ain't been bike camping, any links to good articles on what to pack and how to pack lite? I don't have any links to share, but u can research if u want. I winged it last time and did good. Pack weather appropriate clothes (I don't usually wear cotton b/c of drying time), one burner stove (but I will have one too if u don't), 1 to 2 person tent for weight reasons (I may be able to get an extra one if someone doesn't have one), extra footwear if u go clipless, utensils, plate, pot, pan, (I have and can share if u don't have), water purification (I have and can share), or 3 liter hydration was enough for me last time w/ stopping in Springville to top-off, temp. appropriate sleeping bag (I have a couple if need), extra tube, fire starter (I have), saw and or axe (I have), extra TP just in case the out-house is out, bag for garbage, any nourishment u need (I took some ramen noodles, polish sausage links to cut up and put in the noodles, Pop-Tarts, coffee, eggs, pancake mix and beer last time), fishing gear if you want to fish in the river (could catch dinner?), Full Suspension bikes aren't great for towing a B.O.B. trailer (learned that one), if you use a trailer - try and get the center of gravity low and the weight balanced, if you use pannier bags - balance them, strap or compression-strap as much as possible (helps minimize movement, wind catching things and helps lower center of gravity), account for waterproofing if/where needed, if possible use a skinnier and knobbyless or micro knobby tire (not a must but helps roll better of paved roads), flag/shiny or reflective things/flashing light to be more visible on paved roads.

How much beer can a beer hauler haul, if a beer hauler can haul beer? as much as you have room, equipment weight capacity, or your legs can handle

Any place to get beer on the way so's it doesn't have to be hauled the whole way? There is a Casey's in Springville...about half way.

Are there trails in the park that we'll be camping at? double-track with some very sandy areas to navigate and other areas that are packed nicely with some beautiful prairies, woods and pine areas.

Stopping to ride any along the way? not really. There is a place in Springville called Shellys that has food and "spirits" and a place little out of the way in Stone City called The General Store Pub.
    Last edited by iLuvTechnical; 04-19-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: forgot the google map route

if this happened on a weekend and at least one other was headed up to carpool with, i could be very interested.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Ditto, my time seems to be at a premium this month, but this sounds like it'd be a pretty cool little into to bike camping. NICE, CG!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Okay, f*** it, I'm gonna make an executive decision and take a chance by pulling the trigger on a wkend date that works me and hope the weather is going to cooperate.

When: Sat. Cinco de Mayo - Sun. 6th
    Time: 10am
    Start: my place (PM me and I will give you the address)
    Route: http://g.co/maps/7ymfc

It's on like

Cliff note...the campsite is 1st come 1st serve and is probably only big enough for about 5-7 small tents. I have never seen any other campers when I went, but those were kinda "early or late season" times. We more than likely would have the place to ourselves.
    So, how many are interested?

Has anyone committed to this and put it on their calendar?
    If not, I may go sooner during the wk and I have other things I can do that wkend.

Let me know,
    CG

Board Position
    President

Vegas baby, Vegas.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Sorry, Tailwind Century that weekend.
    I wanna ride!