Thread: GPS on your phone???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default GPS on your phone???

Has anyone used any GPS, odometer, speedometer type apps on their phone while riding? If so, which app(s) do you recommend? Does Droid or iPhone have any better app than the other? Let me know what a guy's gotta do to get set up...

Or do you think that using your phone on your MTB is just asking to have to buy a new phone?

I guess my real question is: if I want to track my rides and perhaps even my heart rate, what piece of equipment do you recommend? I'd like to not spend a grip, but I'm ready to entertain any suggestions.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

I use MotionX on my iPhone 4, works great! The downside to using a phone, is that the GPS in most (maybe all?) is not as sensitive as the dedicated GPS devices, and stands a much greater chance of losing signal and your map/distance being inaccurate when you get into areas of the woods that have a thick canopy.

I use MapMyRide and Strava. Both work pretty well and both are free!! I put my phone in my bag under my seat so it is a little protected.

There is a free app called adidas micoach on the adroid market, it works great. It shows you lap times, gives you a map of the course/route, breaks down elevation changes. The gps is pretty acurate and it gives you a steet/map view of what you just rode. I just keep my phone in my bag while riding, haven't had any problems with that yet....... I've got D-Rose set as my coach, I think you can choose a couple other people too.

For what it's worth, I love my Garmin Edge 305. It can track your heart rate and your cadence which comes in handy. Doesn't do wattage power, but I really doubt you'll ever need that feature. It's discontinued, but you can still get it online. It was replaced by the Edge 500 which has a smaller display which I personally don't like, but they decided to cater to the weight weenies and made it smaller. Also, it seems every race I've been to someone has lost one since they updated there mounting technology. Whatever you get I'd strongly recommend getting one with a barometric altimeter to accurately measure elevation change. Just my two cents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm using Google My Tracks. Works pretty well and it's free. You can upload your tracks to Google Maps and Google Docs.

Great advice, All. Thanks! No I need to get off my ass and use one. So far checking my phone when I leave the lot and checking it again when I get back to the lot sucks.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

I have MapMyRun installed on my Droid. I've used it several times at the same time as my Garmin, and it's close, but always a bit off. The Garmin is definitely more accurate. For example, on a recent run, the Garmin measured 6.0 miles while the phone app measure 6.12 or something like that. When looking at the maps they recorded, the phone had me jumping all over the road. It looked rather as though a dog had been wearing it. That being said, being a tenth off per six miles isn't THAT big of a deal.

Is that for a trail run?

Cool Mountainbike by Runtastic

I use Mountainbike by Runtastic for iPhone . I place it in th pouch of my camelback and go. No problems with dropping signal. It also covers elevation and other details

Quote Originally Posted by Shef View Post
    I use Mountainbike by Runtastic for iPhone . I place it in th pouch of my camelback and go. No problems with dropping signal. It also covers elevation and other details
    +1 for runtastic mountainbike , it also has options to link Bluetooth heartrate monitors and cadence sensors if you want.
    I am using a handlebar mount for iPhone right now, I dont recall the brand name, but I did notice Walmart has them on clearance right now for 13$ . Fairly sturdy and nice to have the data within eyesight,.

I've been using runtastic as well. Really like it.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Strava for me... Haven't used it on my mountain bike much lately, not too worried about times there and the elevation readings seem way off.

Strava here too. its only messed up one time for me so far.