Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santa Cruz Engineer on 650B

Wink Santa Cruz Engineer on 650B

another "standard" is set to be released, basically to generate more $ for manufacturers...but if it's for the advancement of our sport then so be it.

but...this quote from Santa Cruz engineer Joe Graney is priceless:

"You know what I could really f–kin’ do without? 650B. What a pain in the ass that’s going to be."

haha! I love it!

rest of the article is on bike rumor:
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/04/09/...ey/#more-42292
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    another "standard" is set to be released, basically to generate more $ for manufacturers...but if it's for the advancement of our sport then so be it.

but...this quote from Santa Cruz engineer Joe Graney is priceless:

"You know what I could really f–kin’ do without? 650B. What a pain in the ass that’s going to be."

haha! I love it!

rest of the article is on bike rumor:
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/04/09/...ey/#more-42292
    hooray for even more confusion!

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Same thing was said by numerous engineers on the 29er, I must have missed your post on that.

...And I say the same thing I always say- 26, 29, 36, 650B, 44 groundhawgs, Ford, Chevy, Dodge... Who gives a fat crap.

If an old fat dood like me can run a decent speed on a rigid w a Larry up front, an Endomorph on the back and flat pedals, then at some point all the hoopla over inconsequintial gear needs to receive the importance it deserves. Zero.

Find a bike that feels right and RIDE IT!!

Although really Chevy's do suck... Government Motors...

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    Same thing was said by numerous engineers on the 29er, I must have missed your post on that.

...And I say the same thing I always say- 26, 29, 36, 650B, 44 groundhawgs, Ford, Chevy, Dodge... Who gives a fat crap.

If an old fat dood like me can run a decent speed on a rigid w a Larry up front, an Endomorph on the back and flat pedals, then at some point all the hoopla over inconsequintial gear needs to receive the importance it deserves. Zero.

Honestly, this one of the reasons I didn't renew any of my mountain bike magazines. I'm sick of hearing about the tire size controversy. I've raced a 29er hardtail this weekend and it was great, but I doubt I was going to see any difference in time if I had ridden my 26er hardtail other than maybe because I am more familiar with it. My next race bike will be a 29er for sure, but I don't feel like I'm being held back by riding a 26 in the meantime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ya, you missed my post on that...I wasn't around the sport when 29ers were being engineered and introduced. However, I thought I owed it to myself to ride one with an open mind. I then thought wow, this feels RIGHT! So, that's what I like to ride and it's what works, for me. I've never said any different other than to the folks that are too closed minded to simply try (try, not buy) something new to see if it works, for them.

you also missed the point of my post - the comedic nature and backhanded slap for all the reasons you mentioned. I just thought all of those reasons would have been assumed and didn't need to be addressed just by the nature of my post as it wasn't intended to be a debate on wheel size, flat pedals, or gear ratios.

Who knows, 650B may end up feeling RIGHT for many folks. Right now, I like to have a little bit of fun with another "standard" being introduced. Kinda like 30-gear drivetrains, 3 trillion different sizes for head tubes, steerers, and headsets, and 17 different axle types. Try building a bike these days, it's beyond ridiculous.

Haters gonna hate.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Ride a Slingshot!!! Got a sweet frame for sale ...
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Yeah, the old Schwinn 26x1 -1/2" bikes were fantastic! The same size as this "new" 650b... Add in better understanding of geometry and it might be better. Who knows.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

The only real frustrating thing (to me) about all the "standards" out there is going to the bike shop to get parts.

"No, we don't stock any of those because there are too many different ones".

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    The only real frustrating thing (to me) about all the "standards" out there is going to the bike shop to get parts.

"No, we don't stock any of those because there are too many different ones".
    I just ran into this w/ trying to get a bladed replacement spoke for my Mavic wheel
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!

Board Position

Like bottom brackets. Soooooo many sizes and styles. Square taper. Spindle lengths. Double or triple. ISIS. Hollow tech. Hollow tech II. External bearing. Press fit. Direct fit. Megaexo. Howitzer. The list goes on. Stupid but somehow necessary evils I suppose.

Board Position

Spokes are another thing all together. Every wheel and hub combination is different. There are a few common sizes but a lot of rares.

I think you guys are dead on- ALL this stuff probably shaves .003 seconds off of a 30 miles race, but peeps still wanna have actual heartfelt emotional arguments over it. The worst part is, saying "Hey man- let people ride what they wanna ride, and people should try everything to find what they like" will get you accused of being closed minded by people who claim to be open minded but advance 1 right theory as the only theory.

Wheel size is getting to be like politics- I don't care what wheel size a manufacturer's paid designer says is best, but if you hate 26ers, or 29ers, of 36ers, or 650b's, you should be true to yourself and post up, cause a wise man once said... haters gotta hate.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I don't think the 650b will go over that big. A 29er with a steep headtube angle is hard to beat.
    Get out and ride !!

29ERS ARE THE BEST AND THE REST IS JUNK.

Hate on, haters. ; )
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Simple fix, buy one of each and have fun on them all!

JB
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
    Simple fix, buy one of each and have fun on them all!

JB
    The Chief speaks w/ wisdom
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!

Is this mtbr now?

Everyone is making a big stink about 650b because Nino Schurter won a 2012 UCI Cross Country race on a prototype Scott with 650b wheels. So now everyone is like "OMG is 650b the future?!". Some manufacturers will capitalize on the success and sell a few 650b bikes, but as usual it comes to down to personal preference. My humble opinion is that Schurter would have won the race if he was on a 26er or 29er. He beat the next guy by 11 seconds. He obviously has been training his bum off!
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 04-20-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    My humble opinion is that Schurter would have won the race if he was on a 26er or 29er. He beat the next guy by 11 seconds. He obviously has been training his bum off!
    Agreed. Training and is a genetic freak helps too.

Board Position

maybe we should bring back 26 X 1-3/8" too. Both Schwinn and everyone elses. Two different sizes BTW. ERD of 590 and 597. 650b is 584.

I think you guys are dead on- ALL this stuff probably shaves .003 seconds off of a 30 miles race, but peeps still wanna have actual heartfelt emotional arguments over it. The worst part is, saying "Hey man- let people ride what they wanna ride, and people should try everything to find what they like" will get you accused of being closed minded by people who claim to be open minded but advance 1 right theory as the only theory.

Wheel size is getting to be like politics- I don't care what wheel size a manufacturer's paid designer says is best, but if you hate 26ers, or 29ers, of 36ers, or 650b's, you should be true to yourself and post up, cause a wise man once said... haters gotta hate.
    Bottle of water

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    Bottle of water
    Dudes. Wtf.

Dudes. Wtf.
    Road trips generate some interesting quotes.

I don't know man.

Dudes. Wtf.
    Look! Something shiny!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    Road trips generate some interesting quotes.

I don't know man.
    That's greeaat...