Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syllamo- March 30-April 2

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Default Syllamo- March 30-April 2

Bex and I, Eastern Iowa Jim, Ken and Michelle may be thinking of hitting Syllamo- Kurt and I have been trying to get there for 3 years and it never seems to work out for us.

Syllamo is an IMBA Epic in Arkansas, they hold a race there called Syllamo's Revenge that is limited to 350 riders and fills up in less than 24 hours. It is billed as 2 miles of double track and 48 miles of ROCKY singletrack.

Jim, Nenninger and a few other doods that have been there have all gone back- gotta think it's sweet! (As opposed to the Berryman Epic, which can lick something sweaty) T

Thought I'd post to see who's interested- We'd be heading out after work about 5 weeks from now- 3 weeks before the Stampede.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

This...will work nicely :)

Well, since our conversation last night- we have either the weekend of the 24th or the 30th- Jim can't go the 24th, Ken and Michelle can't go the 30th- We're going one of these 2 weekends- so leet us know what works and what doesn't and we'll go from there.

Nothin says 2 groups can't go on 2 different weekends...
    Sorry for the hassle!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

More than interested. I'm going! I would prefer the weekend of the 30th but I can do either weekend.
    I wanna ride!

Damn, I jumped the gun.
    I already submitted the 26-27 for vacation time.

If this changes, please let me know ASAP.

change it! change it now! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwrath View Post
    Damn, I jumped the gun.
    I already submitted the 26-27 for vacation time.

If this changes, please let me know ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    Syllamo is an IMBA Epic in Arkansas, 48 miles of ROCKY singletrack.
    very rocky--poor lucy cut her paws on the rocks and had to be medivac out by bike/camelbak

syllamo pics and vids here:
    http://lambaonline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1504

Vonda, you can borrow my Specialized...
    I wanna ride!

As opposed to the Berryman Epic, which can lick something sweaty
    berryman would be ideal for singlespeed or for packing in all your gear and camping trailside--that would be a worthwhile experience i think. i would go back, but not for a long weekend. it was epic for me cuz i was fat and out of shape, scared of hillbillies, and relatively new to mtn biking when i went there. it's many miles of scenic rolling singletrack, nothing too difficult except for the length of the trail. you need to carry plenty of water and food. i carried two camelbak bladders and a ton of food.

but if you've been to levis, don't go to berryman. you'll be disappointed. i prefer levis to syllamo but syllamo is definitely worthwhile. levis is more refined and polished. syllamo is rough--bring your full suspension or pugsley/mukluk/moonlander. i think syllamo would be a blast on my pugsley (if we shuttle up the mountain by car)

Did any more discussion happen over the trip dates? Is it safe to change my vacation request to March 30-Apr 2?

If this weather holds, this trip may be the first time my new Tallboy see actual dirt!

My plan is to leave Thursday night after work, and drive for a few hours then find a hotel to pile into and crash for the night. Finish the drive on Friday morning and ride to our heart's content, return home on Monday. Michelle Barker is going to forward cabin info to me as cabin availability may dictate which weekend we go. My preference is the weekend of March 29th if we can get a cabin then. Dog care issues.

Let's get a discussion going as far as weekend preference:

March 22 - 26: Barkers

March 29 - April 2: Jim Yoon, Bex
    I wanna ride!

Im good with either, but I'll raise my hand for 3/29-4/2

Default Dates set -- March 29 - April 2

OK, after offline discussion, we will be going to Syllamo the last weekend in March leaving Thursday, March 29th, after work. I need to know how many people plan to go so that we pick the correct size cabin or whether we need to get two cabins. Depending how many people we have going, if we're over on bed space, some can throw a cot or mat on the floor with a sleeping bag (and of course their share of the cabin price will be less). But, if the maybes turn into yesses, we may get two cabins. Take a look where we will be staying:
    http://www.sylamorelodges.com/html/cabins.html either cabin #18, 8 or 16 (as suggested by the rep). Our LAMBA friends stayed in #16 last year and said it worked out well. We need to get the cabin reserved soon before they book up. My goal is to have the reservation made by this Friday.

The people going so far are:
    1. Bex
    2. Shinbori
    3. Ray
    4. Krud
    5. McGrath
    6. Yoon
    7. Lori Manuel
    8. Russ Manuel
    Debating:
    Tall Paul
    Stauby
    Anyone else? This trip is open to anyone who wants to ride their bike and have fun. This is a NO TENSION, NO WHINING trip.

I am sure we will be taking a few vehicles -- we will coordinate that once we get closer. I have a Subaru that can take 4 people and 3 bikes, but the gas mileage on the all wheel drive turbo isn't so great. Maybe someone else has a more fuel efficient vehicle -- uhm, not Krud now, Mr. Camero man!

I haven't ever been to Syllamo but hear it's a blast -- coming from a FEW people. The lady that I talked to yesterday about the cabins said it was 63 there yesterday. Yippie!

It's a dry county. We will need to plan our beverages accordingly. The cabins have kitchens, so we can bring in our food.

The plan is to get off work on Thursday, March 29th, drive as far as we feel like, grab a hotel somewhere, drive the rest of the way on Friday morning and ride. Ride Saturday. Drink. Eat. Drink. Ride Sunday. Drink. Drink. Eat. Drink. Return home on Monday while sniveling that we're leaving Arkansas. Mapquest says it's a 10 hour drive from Rock Island, IL to Mountain View, AR.

Any other interested parties, feel free to post up. I will be making reservations on Friday based on the number of confirmed people.
    I wanna ride!

Nice group, have fun. I'll be just down the road from you... http://www.ouachitachallenge.com/

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Confirmed from PAMBA:

myself
    Stauby
    Tall Paul
    Dan Mayo

Maybe:
    Betsy - still working on her :)

This is gonna kick serious butt!!

Betsy in!

Quote Originally Posted by mcwrath View Post
    Betsy in!
    Sweet!

Confirmed:
    1. Bex
    2. Shinbori
    3. Ray
    4. Krud
    5. McGrath
    6. Yoon
    7. Lori Manuel
    8. Russ Manuel
    9. Stauby
    10. Tall Paul
    11. Dan Mayo
    12. Betsy Rock-The-Trails Silzer!!
    TWELVE people warrants two cabins. Most excellente! And, we have another straggler or two deciding if they are going to join us, so we may have even a couple more! Based on this, I called Sylamore Lodges back with the new #s and asked about cabins close to one another. People, we have got #8 and #17 reserved as I tpwe! They are right next door to one another. #8 has 3 queen beds and a love seat sleeper sofa. #17 has 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. Both are fully furnished including washer and dryer (we will need to remember to bring laundry detergent) and I think both have outside grills. http://www.sylamorelodges.com/html/cabins.html.

Between the Ray's Indoor Door Mtn Bike Park Women's Skill's Clinic and Syllamo, I think March has just bumped up to a favored month for 2012!
    Last edited by Bexter; 02-22-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Bexter View Post
    Between the Ray's Indoor Door Mtn Bike Park Women's Skill's Clinic and Syllamo, I think March has just bumped up to a favored month for 2012!
    Why have we waited till 2012 to do this in March? Seems getting to the trips earlier in the year by riding in warmer climates would have been a no brainer!

Why have we waited till 2012 to do this in March? Seems getting to the trips earlier in the year by riding in warmer climates would have been a no brainer!
    I don't know and agreed. I am glad the idea popped up this year!!
    I wanna ride!

We are up to 14 people. A couple are going to have to sleep on an air mattress on the floor with a sleeping bag. If anyone else is considering joining in on the trip, let me know as we may need to get a third cabin.
    I wanna ride!

How much time do you need to rent a 3rd cabin if needed? There are still 3 more "on the fence" from PAMBA. I will try to get them to commit one way or another.

I don't know -- earlier is better since there is a possiblity that the longer we wait, the more chance there will be that the cabins will be spoken for.
    I wanna ride!

I'll bring an air mattress. I ain't scared.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Russ and Lori are out. :(

Final PAMBA count is 8 - maybe 9.

I told people we may cram 8-9 in one 7 person cabin.
    Im bringing an air mattress too. I dont mind the floor!

Confirmed:

PAMBA folks 1-8
    9. Bex
    10. Shinbori
    11. Ray
    12. Krud
    13. Yoon
    14. Vonda
    15. Russhole

We are going to have a blast! I think the cabins sleep 8 and 6 respectively. We will have a few people on the floor, but everyone has been gracious about making it work.

Start thinking about our food plan. Want to coordinate group breakfast and dinner meals (I figure lunch will be via Camelback)? A few people can be in charge of making a particular breakfast or dinner. We will arrive midday friday, so we will need dinner on Friday night, breakfast and dinner on Saturday and Sunday. I am guessing that we will be packed up and heading home Monday morning for the 10 hour drive and likely will get breakfast on the way out of town. Do we want to plan in finding a restaurant one of the nights for dinner? It's a dry county. Keep that in mind.

Just things to ponder. I'm excited!
    I wanna ride!