Thread: RAGBRAI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default RAGBRAI

I hope I don't get banished on my first day on the FORC site for making hard surface comments (test some emoticons )
    Amber and I love backpacking out West, and have considered 'bikepacking' but want to get several local experiences first. We can't do any upcoming weekends 'cause we're booked up wedding planning/honeymoon through May. Sooo, we (and likely her Dad) are riding Mt Bikes on the last 3 days of RAGBRAI in late July. We had a blast riding just the last day last year (route on Telegraph past Sunderbruch, considered detouring but I was WAY more out of shape then than I am now).
    The ride days basically are eat, ride-at-your-leisure, eat, ride, beer, eat, camp, beer, sleep. Repeat. RAGBRAI includes full logistics and camp gear movement, food EVERYwhere on the route, showers, etc. I have a Nashbar/trashbar BoB replica trailer and likely doing 'partial self-sustaining', putting my camp gear on trailer to 'test my inner self' and using event services to move Amber & her Dad's stuff -- and to cover any newbie problems. Considering a real BoB or a cruiser trailer so both Amber and I can test our 'inner selves' and our nuptuals.
    Before Rage edicts my banishing -- we are doing the MW Mt Bike fest in June if I can figure out paypal.
    RAGBRAI is a major bike & beer mobile party. Reading some of your forum posts, anything related to bikes and beer and bs-ing, and beer and then some biking followed by beer seems to be encouraged. Last year there was teenager that skateboarded the entire state, and tough-as-nails riders on heavyweight tour pannier setups, beach cruisers, BMXers, kitchen-sink coffin trailers, double-tandems (think about it), etc. Weird tho that several folks commented on us riding mt bikes on the route. A mukluk/fatbike would cause rubbernecking wipeouts.
    Anyone interested riding Mt Bikes on it? It might be a good test-run at bikecamping/bikepacking, if nothing else sure to be great biking & beering fun.

Are you kidding me!? We LOVE RAGBRAI! Ok, maybe it's not on dirt, but it's the biggest cycling party ever! A lot of FORCers have done sections of it each year. One of these days I'm going to do the whole thing for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have rode rigid, front sus, full sus and the mukluk on ragbrai (but never a road bike). This year I plan to take the moonlander...and rubber neckers...oh my. would seriously go a couple hundred feet before the next person asks the same questions about the fatbike. thinking about a t-shirt with common q&a on the back.

only issue i had was flat ground...without the 3rd crank you are pedaling all the time just to keep up. Up hills tho, domination (i love passing road bikes).

dl - sounds like you've got lotta experience RAGRAI (and lotta bikes!), any pointers for fairly newb's? I have checked out RAGBRAI site is great with lots of FAQ info.
    With the Q&A shirt you might print postcard/flyers with who/what/when/where/why/how of Fatbikes to hand out as you pass on the hills. That kid skatboarding, wow, all self propelled one leg at a time not land-skiing behind a bike.
    Looks like FORC of today makes a major presence where ever it goes, and was wondering if any FORC'ers are doing the trip (last three days is all we're doing) not ride as team but to meet for beering in evenings.