Thread: Sylvan Island 4:30 or so and a little help?

Default Sylvan Island 4:30 or so and a little help?

Anyone with rear derailleur and chain install experience want to meet me later this afternoon at the Island for a (hopefully) quick adjustment and ride? I have my bike put together; however, I think I need to trim my power link chain a little. I'm too timid to do it myself. Also my rear derailleur is shifting but seems to be off by one as I can't get to my highest gear and when I'm in my lowest gear I have another click left. Seems like I'm almost there. I'll have all the tools needed. I'm just missing the brain that knows how to make the adjustment.

Any takers? My bike is almost ready for its maiden voyage. Can't wait!
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Anyone with rear derailleur and chain install experience want to meet me later this afternoon at the Island for a (hopefully) quick adjustment and ride? I have my bike put together; however, I think I need to trim my power link chain a little. I'm too timid to do it myself. Also my rear derailleur is shifting but seems to be off by one as I can't get to my highest gear and when I'm in my lowest gear I have another click left. Seems like I'm almost there. I'll have all the tools needed. I'm just missing the brain that knows how to make the adjustment.

Any takers? My bike is almost ready for its maiden voyage. Can't wait!
    Sounds like you need to set the high and low on it. Just look at it from the rear and turn the screw until the cog on the derailleur is aligned. Make sure the chain can get into the biggest chainring in the front and biggest cog in the rear, but can also go on the smallest in the front and smallest in the back with still having tension. Shift between 2nd and 3rd cog and make sure it's shifting good to both. Slow to get to 2nd to 3rd means it needs more cable tension so turn barrel on shiftier away from you, if it's slow from 3rd to 2nd it's too tight so turn barrel towards you. This should all be on the instructions. Come on man! Your a college educated man, you can figure this out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks Gunchinator. Unfortunately, they didn't give credit at my school for Bike Mechanic 101. I guess it wasn't that kind of school. I've been trying to get the chain to the highest (biggest) cog but can't get the derailleur to go there no matter how much I adjust the set screw. That's my #1 problem and the rest of the stuff won't work 'til I get it there. I'm running a 1 x 9 which should simplify the adjustments. I just need to get that B to slip up there and I think I'm money. This thread should prob be in "Equipment" but oh well. Good to be here, too, I guess as I will be riding my bike for the 1st time today come hell or high water. I will definitely refer back to your tutelage once I get Step 1 figured out.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Biggest cog is lowest gear. Sounds like your L screw is too tight. Back it out a bit until you can shift on to that low gear

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Thanks Gunchinator. Unfortunately, they didn't give credit at my school for Bike Mechanic 101. I guess it wasn't that kind of school. I've been trying to get the chain to the highest (biggest) cog but can't get the derailleur to go there no matter how much I adjust the set screw. That's my #1 problem and the rest of the stuff won't work 'til I get it there. I'm running a 1 x 9 which should simplify the adjustments. I just need to get that B to slip up there and I think I'm money. This thread should prob be in "Equipment" but oh well. Good to be here, too, I guess as I will be riding my bike for the 1st time today come hell or high water. I will definitely refer back to your tutelage once I get Step 1 figured out.
    Could be a bent derailleur hanger. So the chain is long enough, it just won't move over, right?

I'm all set (well for this problem anyway). I good friend popped over at lunch and lined me out. I'd love to let you guys go on guessing but the problem was too much slack in the cable. Waaaay too much slack. I have other issues but nothing that will prevent me from riding tonight. I hope to be there at 4:30.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

I learned the rear derailluer here.
    http://bicycletutor.com/

many vids to help out.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.