Thread: Winter riding

Default Winter riding

It's that time of year when we have to be aware of the damage we can do to a trail system when the weather is like it's been the last few days. First thing to remembers is that you should never ride natural surface trails in the winter when the temp is above 32. Days like today the top surface of the trail is very soft and easily ruted by a bikes tires (remember the words of the great MTB dodge ball camp Dirt "Only you can prevent trail rut!"). So if your out to do some trail riding this time of year, go out first thing in the morning when the temp is below 32 and have a good time. If you leave a mark with your tire the trail is to soft to ride and you need to hit the street or bike path. Oh and watch out for ice!

JB

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
    First thing to remembers is that you should never ride natural surface trails in the winter when the temp is above 32.
    The ground is a pretty big heat-sink, so just because the air temperature is at or below freezing it doesn't necessarily mean the ground is frozen. Regardless of the temp, if the ground is soft please don't ride - much damage can be done if the top surface is thawed.

Give it some margin: 27 is the new 32.
    Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.