Thread: 2012 Trek Superfly AL Elite or Superfly 100 AL Elite?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2012 Trek Superfly AL Elite or Superfly 100 AL Elite?

I'm brand new to qcforc (just registered today) and am looking forward to becoming a member. I will be present at the 8th SIS to observe and am looking forward to meeting everyone and riding as often as possible this summer. I wanted to post to get some advice regarding hardtail versus full suspension. I am just a couple weeks away from pulling the trigger on a 2012 Trek Superfly AL Elite and think this will be an awesome bike or XC but wanted to hear others views (pros/cons) on staying with a hardtail versus going with the Superfly 100 AL Elite. I'm able to get the hardtail from a local shop I see advertised on this site for $1925 (total w/tax/out the door). Thanks in advance for your help.

Buy it!

Then ride Novice in the Stampede!

You'll thank me later.
    Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Pretty sure you can't go wrong with either of those bikes, especially on our local trails. Both are silly fast. The SF100's rear suspension would serve to take the edge off. My recommendation would be to ride both bikes, decide which one you like best, and then buy it!!

Thats sounds to me like a crazy stupid good deal on the hardtail!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

If your serious about racing or think you might be in the future then do the hardtail. If you want a bike that will be mainly a trail bike, but still hold it's own at the races do the 100. Really, a hardtail is all you need for Midwest riding in my humble opinion... but I also race a hardtail 26er in Colorado so I may just be crazy too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In my opinion, FS is the way to go. I race some Mt. bike but mostly Xterra so my opinion will be different then others, and i am old. But i have found that FS keep my legs fresher longer then a HT. It also keeps my back it a lot better shape for longer races.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Another question...and I may just ask around this evening during the meeting as I am planning to attend, but what brands of helmets do you prefer? Is there a standout brand/style over another? I was looking at the Bell Sweep and also recently have been looking into the sixsixone 2012 Recon Helmet Wired. Then there is also Fox and Giro but any additional info would be appreciated. Thanks!

preferred brand of helmet is the one that feels best on my head and isn't stupid expensive. I know it protects my noggin but I'm not down with paying $150+ for a helmet.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    preferred brand of helmet is the one that feels best on my head and isn't stupid expensive. I know it protects my noggin but I'm not down with paying $150+ for a helmet.
    Second that! Every manufacturers helmet fits differently so try a few and see what fits best.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    ... I'm not down with paying $150+ for a helmet.
    Gotta $40 head, buya $40 helmet!

Rg.

ps. Last year's high dollar helmet sells at year end at mucho discounto.
    Haters gonna hate.

Yep, spend $5000 on a bike but I won't spend $150 on my head!

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Gotta $40 head, buya $40 helmet!

Rg.

ps. Last year's high dollar helmet sells at year end at mucho discounto.
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Ok, tried to post on "Let's Ride" but got a message that I need 5 posts in order to create a new thread and currently have 2 so guess I will post here and see if anyone notices and can repost this for me.

Weather looks great tomorrow, Tuesday 4/17 so I am looking to be at Sylvan by 4:30pm to ride it for the first time on my new bike that currently has 5 miles to it's name so hopefully will see some people out there.

Default Scotch 2228 Waterproof Electrical Tape...not just for electricians anymore!!

Just wanted to share my new chainstay protection I completed after reviewing many options online. I think it turned out nice and will see how it lasts. Regardless, it was about $5 with tax for a 4 foot roll from Lowe's which was perfect as I used all but about 4 inches of the roll.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bicycle helmets only protect you from bustin' your head wide open. They are not designed to protect against concussion and more expensive helmets are not better in terms of protection just 'cause they're more expensive. The cheap ones have to meet minimum requirements as do the expensive helmets. The difference comes into play with weight and venting. Less weight means less materials and/ or higher grades of plastics to offer the same protection. You may also find better chin straps etc. I have a Bontrager Lithos. It's the best helmet I've had yet.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

That looks great, can't wait to see how it holds up!